Tipping Tips For Out Of Town Tippers...

No tipping in France. Tax and service are included in the advertised cost of each menu item. Waiters are professionals for life, not for some summer job. They're paid a living wage. Customers can leave just their change from their bills if they wish. Nail salon technicians and spa services are also not tipped. The most one should leave at any hair salon regardless of its status is 2 euro altogether. It's normal to tip cabbies no more than 10%.

My husband and I just got back from a trip to Europe and in Paris at one of the restaurants we went to, the waiter specifically said "tip isn't included" when he brought the check. The service was so bad though that leaving a tip never crossed our minds.

One thing I noticed some expats complain about here in Argentina are waiters not giving change back. If you pay and say "thanks" you're essentially saying "keep the change."

You know when you're in a reastaurant in BsAs and you need to split the bill between yourseld and others at the table? And the waiter can't make change? I always tell them I need the change or I won't be able to leave a tip. They somehow magically come up with change fast.

The reason why in France waiters aren't tipped but cabbies are (10%) is that waiters are well-paid here. Their salaries allow them to support their families on so they don't need or expect a tip. Being a waiter is a lifelong profession, not a stopgap job while somebody looks for a 'better' job. Each single item's price on every menu has built into it a sum for 'service' which goes towards paying waiters' salaries. Some waiters feel insulted by foreigners who assume that waiters must rank so low socially that they'd need charity! Many waiters have earned diplomas at colleges. (So have bartenders, different categories of cooks increasingly, hotel receptionists and other professions in the hospitality industry. An important new school for certification in about 10 such fields opened in Cannes 2 years ago.)

A few months ago at one of the cafes we frequent most, an American guy next to us went into his wallet to get a tip out after he'd paid his bill. He looked uncertain about how much to give. I sometimes tell Americans the score here on tipping. I started doing that a year ago when an American diner at a resto - a cruise line employee - asked me just how much one was supposed to tip in France. She'd gone broke leaving 20% everywhere for her and her daughter over 3 days and this was their final meal before leaving the city. This was her third stay here. She appreciated my help once she believed me! I felt bad that she hadn't known earlier when it would have saved her a lot.

But when I later helped that American at the café this way, he looked in the opposite direction to me (never done here because showing basic respect in public is a social obligation) and said, "But look at how bad the state of your French economy is! The waiter needs a tip." His rudeness shocked me. (The waiter dresses well, is young and is groomed like they all are.) The waiter saw and caught that arrogance said in English and my consternation. After that glum-faced smartass and his embarrassed wife left, the waiter (a funny guy) refilled our glasses for free and said in French, 'There! -we're all poor!". (I'm not French but live here.) Free tidbits etc at restos are rare here, especially compared to BA.

I have great American friends, really nice people. Nonetheless, it just happened that I've stopped offering Ameican visitors here help since then. I bite my lip when I'm about to and then say nothing.

Regulated cabbies here aren't paid some regular salary. Driving a cab isn't a certified trade although cabbies are licensed. What money they make varies. Also, their cab plates (medallions) cost them a fortune as these do everywhere they're issued. That bred the public's empathy and cabbies require a tip. They're always as appreciative as BA cabbies are of a tip although here one is required and in BA it's not.

The last message on this topic was almost a year ago, so I thought I'd ask for some advice. I'm from the USA but I'm a long term legal DNI resident here, almost 15 years. With the blue peso still moving ahead and the horrible inflation here I was wondering if I should increase my tips. Here is what I'm currently tipping.

Taxis: Usually don't tip, but if it's 2 or 3 pesos I'll round up what I give the driver.
Restaurants: Usually 10% of the total bill, as far as I've heard the waiters get none of the cubierto amount, so we tip 10% on the total bill including cubierto/wine.
Restaurant delivery guy to my apartment: 15 pesos on an order for two people, I don't base it on the price of the meal
Kid who delivers heavy cat sand and a big bag of hard food: 15 pesos
Our encargado lives in the building with his wife, when we travel we pay him 40 pesos a day to come into our apartment, feed and water the cats and clean the litter box, this takes less then 10 minutes per day and since he lives in the building it's not like he has any travel time to get to our apartment.
Sushi delivery guy: 15 pesos on a 600 peso order, but 20 if it's raining
We don't have a maid so I have no idea what their hourly charge is.
I know I'm a gringo and delivery people treat me differently, but I don't want to piss off someone who is bringing me food or taking care of my pets.
Any thoughts on this?
Cheers!
Pete & Ron - 2 gringos living here almost 15 years and loving it!

Back