To Rent in CABA: Mission Almost Imposible Waitlists exceeds Offer

Is that 120K in pesos?
Yup, still, $600 dollars gone for nothing. I would have preferred to give it to my landlord to keep rather than an insurance company, but such is life, and the original post of this thread is part of the reason I reluctantly paid it, it's difficult out there.

My husband and I have outgrown our apartment, love the location, but working from home warrants a home office so we're not on top of each other. On a side note, my land lady is looking for another renter, so if anyone is looking for a place (unfurnished) DM me.

This, just pissed away $120K for nothing on this myself, and the best part is if I don't manage to pay the rent I'm still on the hook despite this.

Imagine car insurance where you pay for 3rd party damage yet you end up having to pay anyways despite the premiums. It's a scam imo, like so much else we deal with, but what can you do.

Rope, tree, real estate agent....satisfaction!

Is that 120K in pesos?
Holy hell, yes! For 120K dollars you can buy a modest PH* in a medium-dubious neighborhood

*propiedad horizontal, which is a weird sort of urban mini-house thing with a wall around it and a small courtyard instead of a yard with a lawn. Or something else. Definitions are very flexible here, especially in the mouth of a lying, deceitful, forked-tongued, two-faced real estate "professional".

The standard for long term contracts in Argentina has been to provide a Garantia , a contract cosigner to insure under notary public, the rent payment with a property in CABA as a collateral.
Inmigrants and others that have no such contacts for a Garnatia, have to purchase the insurance from a financial institution .The Cost ia about 2 months rent.

After reading about all the changes in renting in BA, I realize how easy I had it when I moved here in 1999. I rented a room in Caballito without even seeing it or any form of contract through a tango acquaintance. I stayed there six months. Then I rented a furnished two-bedroom apartment in Constitution without any contract or guarantee through tango dancers. That was when the peso and dollar were equal. After two years, I found a smaller unfurnished place through a friend. My boyfriend was the guarantee if I didn't pay the $100us rent in 2002. Three years later I bought the apartment in Balvanera where I live today with the inheritance from my mother's estate. It's the first property I've owned.

I started a video series on YouTube to encourage retired seniors to consider moving to Buenos Aires because I love living here so much. The abundance of free concerts and other cultural events is outstanding. One can live well on social security here, whereas living on the street in the USA is not an attractive option.

The building has 16 apartments on four floors. Two of them are vacant, one of which is adjacent to mine. The rent for a furnished apartment on the third floor is $22.000ARS, plus all expenses (none of which the young couple have paid for a year as squatters with a one-year old boy). Some of the amenities of the building are a crumbling water tank that needs an overhaul and cleaning after two years, including the water bill that hasn't been paid for two years thanks to the administrator. Also provided a plague of cockroaches throughout the building thanks to the hoarder on the main floor who refuses to allow fumigation service to enter for 20 years; which keeps all of us busy in the kitchen smashing roaches even after the fumigation service. The hoarder has a garden which is a junkyard with trees where rats have the freedom to breed and climb to enter other area in the block. The entire building needs maintenance since this is not a priority for either the owners or the administration. Basically, the property constructed in 1967 is worthless. Three owners want to sell their units. The owner of the smallest unit 33m tried to sell it three years ago, but the pipes from the unit above have dumped water many times and there is no money for repairs for any section of the disaster that surrounds me.

I have peace and joy. I have to maintain a sense of humor about the situation and have patience that it will improve at some point or I'll go crazy..

After reading about all the changes in renting in BA, I realize how easy I had it when I moved here in 1999. I rented a room in Caballito without even seeing it or any form of contract through a tango acquaintance. I stayed there six months. Then I rented a furnished two-bedroom apartment in Constitution without any contract or guarantee through tango dancers. That was when the peso and dollar were equal. After two years, I found a smaller unfurnished place through a friend. My boyfriend was the guarantee if I didn't pay the $100us rent in 2002. Three years later I bought the apartment in Balvanera where I live today with the inheritance from my mother's estate. It's the first property I've owned.

I started a video series on YouTube to encourage retired seniors to consider moving to Buenos Aires because I love living here so much. The abundance of free concerts and other cultural events is outstanding. One can live well on social security here, whereas living on the street in the USA is not an attractive option.

The building has 16 apartments on four floors. Two of them are vacant, one of which is adjacent to mine. The rent for a furnished apartment on the third floor is $22.000ARS, plus all expenses (none of which the young couple have paid for a year as squatters with a one-year old boy). Some of the amenities of the building are a crumbling water tank that needs an overhaul and cleaning after two years, including the water bill that hasn't been paid for two years thanks to the administrator. Also provided a plague of cockroaches throughout the building thanks to the hoarder on the main floor who refuses to allow fumigation service to enter for 20 years; which keeps all of us busy in the kitchen smashing roaches even after the fumigation service. The hoarder has a garden which is a junkyard with trees where rats have the freedom to breed and climb to enter other area in the block. The entire building needs maintenance since this is not a priority for either the owners or the administration. Basically, the property constructed in 1967 is worthless. Three owners want to sell their units. The owner of the smallest unit 33m tried to sell it three years ago, but the pipes from the unit above have dumped water many times and there is no money for repairs for any section of the disaster that surrounds me.

I have peace and joy. I have to maintain a sense of humor about the situation and have patience that it will improve at some point or I'll go crazy..
Wow. I am sorry. In spite of all this you love living in BA!

Wow. I am sorry. In spite of all this you love living in BA!
After 20 years, I'm not interested in moving. I like the neighborhood where I know people. I've learned to tolerate harassment and noise from the lesbian couple below. One of them decorated my apartment door recently with orange paint with some colorful language. I had to repaint the door.

After 20 years, I'm not interested in moving. I like the neighborhood where I know people. I've learned to tolerate harassment and noise from the lesbian couple below. One of them decorated my apartment door recently with orange paint with some colorful language. I had to repaint the door.
OMG that's horrible! Orange is such a vulgar color!

Never will I defend landlords in BA, but I will say that our experience of owning and renting legal, short-term rentals near Pinamar was a neverending nightmare. I was sad and so hugely relieved the day we sold it all. I would hazard a guess that the Baexpats community is not representative of most renters. People on this forum are probably less likely to trash a place, not pay rent, try and steal from you and then sneak off in the middle of the night. And then you add in the team of people you just rely on to keep your rental operating. We had managers filling the apartments and not paying us the rent, handymen stealing tools from us, gardeners not doing any work when they knew we were out of town, and all the while we knew we could be sued for anything at anytime. Nowadays, I don’t know why anyone would want to own and rent property in BA. Maybe slumlords find it worth it? I can see why many choose to leave their places empty or rely on Airbnb with their fixed dollar payments and liability coverage. It was a nightmare back in the 2000s to find a good place to rent in a good neighborhood. I have deep sympathy for how much more complicated and entrenched the system is now.

Back