To Ship Or Not To Ship, That Is The Question.....

Julieta0317

Registered
So I made up my mind and after 15 years of living in US I'm planing to return to Argentina. During the last 15 years I accumulated too many things so now I'm wandering if it is worth is shipping furniture, pots and pants across the world. How are prices for household items there? Not Walmart quality but also not expensive luxury stores... More like middle of the road... Should I just ship my stuff and deal with the hassle or should I just go ahead and by new items when I get there. Thanks

The real question is: Are you ready to start anew? If you are, no more than 20% of current belongings. Say good-bye and make that clean break. Most of us, here in the US, could very well stand getting rid of half of our "stuff" even without a move of the magnitude you suggest. I don't know about you, but I easily could get rid of several briefcases, ties, shirts, pants, books, knick knacks, magazines, etc. just as a start. It is more about your state of mind, than the ability to replace that dining room table and chairs you've had since you were ____ years old!

If you do decide to ship , be sure you get all the current information regarding any duties , fees. shipping costs etc.... from a good reputable despachate ( importer/customs house broker).) Then ask 2 others to see how many different answers you get.....

It seems no one knows all the correct information and/or they make it up as they go.

From your post it sounds like you haven't been back for a visit. If you haven't I would recommend it highly. Then you could decide what to bring.

I have been there every year since I moved to US, but this is the first time I'm considering a long term move down there so I never looked at buying furniture or durable goods down there. Maybe I'm not being realistic, but somehow I think I can always come for a visit to US and stock up on things like clothes and electronics

Unfortunately there's no easy solution. I believe you do have the right to ship your belongings if you are a returning citizen, but it can be a complicated process nonetheless.

Buying goods in Argentina isn't cheap, and you will probably find the quality and selection to be lacking.

If I were you I'd seriously look into shipping and try to figure out how much it will cost and the current port situation for situations like yours. Don't forget the appliances. ;)

You can get everything you need in Buenos Aires, just realize it's going to be expensive.

We did buy our furniture here, there are nice shops, decent quality and lots of furniture from the 50's. We travel back and forth from USA and bring favorite things and art work here. One important thing to remember is that spaces are MUCH smaller here, so what looks good furniture wise in USA is overpowering here. There is no one stop shopping here, it takes a while to find out where things are, but it's loads of fun ( if you like to shop).
I would most definitely buy appliances here.
Nancy

Don't forget that appliances here run on a different current than in the US!

All good points, certainly about the size of rooms and amount of storage. Part of my journey back home is to dispose of the baggage I accumulated the last 15 years. I think it will be therapeutic

Back