Too Many Pizzerias And Carbs In Bsas Stop This Now

Go ahead, tells us, ( me ) about Paraguay, I am interested to know !

Wow - 189 posts, eh? Heh. I've spent a bit of time in Paraguay, but most of it in the poor parts of departamento (their name for province) Concepcion.

I find the people to be very friendly, especially to foreigners (doesn't mean you don't have to watch out for people who take advantage of others). There are so many opportunities there. Their economy is growing and growing - and in fact, Japanese businessmen seem to be doing a lot of importing/exporting there - in 2010-2011 I was looking to do some import business related to slot machines. I missed a giant opportunity there - I'd probably be rich three times over now if I had gone ahead with it. The only reason I didn't is because our supplier in Chile flaked out on us. But one issue we had in that time frame was that the warehouses were all contracted out, primarily by Japanese businessmen. We were going to rent out a house with a little bit of land and build a cheap workshop/warehouse on the property.

But you want to rent a place - put down your deposit and sign the contract y ya esta. You don't pay - you get kicked out. No personal income tax and business income taxes around 10%, or 20% if you take the money out of the country (as of when I was looking into things, I don't think things have changed). Banking can still be a little difficult if you don't have residency, but that is easily solved by creating a corporation and having your lawyer open it for you (which we did) and the account can have both Dollars and Guarani. I managed to wire some money directly to our bank account there with no problems, quite unlike here.

Pizza Hut is there, really good restaurants (and some bad ones too), most things reasonably priced and if you don't like the prices go to Cuidad del Este and buy there. I hear Encarnacion is growing steadily, with a burgeoning middle class, though I haven't visited there yet (one day soon, maybe beginning of next year). At one point I was looking for investors in conjunction with a well-connected real estate guy in Asuncion to go to Encarnacion, buy up a bunch of hectares of land, develop it and provide financing for the new middle class. Couldn't find enough interest from guys I had contacts with at the time.

Not a great amount of night life in Asuncion - some people need that, but I'm not a public party-er so it doesn't affect me, but there is a little bit of night life. Not nearly as much modern cultural stuff, but a lot of Guarani culture mixed in every day life.

Not a good place to be as a poor person, but with even a little bit of money and a good attitude, one can do quite well there, I'm convinced. Cost of living half to two thirds what it is here. At one point I was looking at a 300 sq mtr house (used to be a small school) right out of downtown in a posh neighborhood for about 1000 USD a month, though prices in Asuncion, particularly downtown, have probably gone up quite a bit.

Better service on the whole than here - people want to do business there and understand the idea of keeping customers.

The only reason we don't live there is because my wife used to work as a maid in Asuncion, she comes from a very poor family (literally dirt poor), and the upper class there often treats their own poor worse than the upper class here treats Paraguayans and other poor Mercosur immigrants. Even though she would be returning with money, she still remembers how she was treated. Although, she has recently been realizing how it would be if we were to open a small business there...she's starting to think it may not be so bad these days compared to how things are getting here.

The best business you could get into, if you could figure a way to do it, would be to import used clothes from the US and Europe and re-sell them. I know that sounds strange, but I know some people who are trying to do that, but unfortunately laws in most of South America (maybe due to Mercosur restrictions) make it very difficult to get used clothes in. But they sell like hotcakes.

Restaurants would be good, in the city (not the center) or in reasonably affluent suburbs.

Slot machines are probably saturated by now, unfortunately.

Anything that involves labor and not too much initial investment - you could pay much better wages than everyone else and probably still come out on top as far as labor overhead goes.

I made a couple of edits to my previous above, including some about Encarnacion - that's where every day business is really booming. Asuncion would probably be more along the lines of import/export.

I'll see if I can think of more later - on my way now to do my mostly-weekly stint as parillero for a group of expats for Friday night dinners :)

The
El queso - san

some business ideas for asuncion?

The "millionairess from Miami" told me she was considering investing in the self storage business (warehouse style) in Asuncion...if and when she sells her 3.5 million dollar condo in Aventura.

I have fond memories of asuncion. Lived there for 6 months in 2009...

Girls were sooooo friendly but I decided to give BA a chance..and here I am.

as long as the girls were friendly then that's all that matters ceviche-san.
you Macho you :D

The video Earghlings might make you a bit more aware of the difference between plants and animals in spite of neurobiology (I warn that some images are hard to see.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ce4DJh-L7Ys

I think I do have a pretty good handle on the differences between plants and animals.
I guess when I think about things like being Vegan or animal rights which is my opinion is many ways can an extreme or misguided reaction to corruption in the food industry. For the record, I am all for animal rights with balance.

http://www.mediapeta...abouteating.jpg

Take the link above for example.

Not all meat consumption is mass, mechanized murder clearly demonstrated in a video I posted in a previous post. Further down the page meat eating means eating poop! We had a nice Asado last night I sure did not find any poop in or around my meat.

But Peta itself endorses or uses products that come from questionable labor practices relating to the human animals on this planet.

Meet Petas Phone App

And suggests you happily use that App on a cell phone that was built by a questionable company that has it products built by another company that uses hellish labor practices to satisfy our needs to consume technology.

How much pollution did that Iphone create in China before it got to you? Who made those designer jeans you’re wearing?

As I posted previously if you eat plants because that works best for you great. But don’t sit there with an Iphone wearing designer jeans produced in a sweat shop telling me how terrible I am because I consume meat. In my thinking that is just ridiculous, hypocritical and misguided.

I spent a month in Asuncion taking Guarani classes and eating chipa guasu and sopa paraguaya. The people are very friendly and the city is nice, though your average tourist would probably find it boring after a day or two.

The "health food" dieteticas in my neighborhood are packed. The carnicerias are usually empty. I don't think this has to do with economics, the price for the denatured soy and birdfood products the people buy in these stores are very high.

That said, anyone know where to find affordable almonds? Much more expensive here than in the US.

Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags.

Proverbs 23:20:21

One who partakes of human flesh, the flesh of a horse or of another animal, and deprives others of milk by slaughtering cows, O King, if such a fiend does not desist by other means, then you should not hesitate to cut off his head."

Rig Veda, 10.87.16

Back