Too Many Stamps In Passport?

Somewhereinba

Registered
I am a frequent traveller to Argentina, I enter and leave the country (fly overseas) every 4-5 weeks. I am on holiday each time I come back however over 3 years I have accumulated a lot of entry/exit stamps from my frequent travels to Argentina. I am in the country less than 180 days a year and I never work there, am I breaking any law and do they have a right to not let me enter - I get some funny looks when they flip through the pages and see a lot of argentina stamps? I spoke to a lawyer who said I was doing nothing illegal and they can't say anything - any confirmation? I haven't been asked any questions or given any problems yet, just want to know where I stand should someone ever try and tell me I am breaking the law. I have always left way before the 90 days expired - travelling on a British passport.

I'm no lawyer, but I've overstayed before and I've obsessively read the discussions on this forum about being a "perma-tourist" and constantly renewing your tourist visa either officially or by going to Uruguay for a day. Based on those credentials I would say you're super-duper-ok-totally-fine (sorry for the intense legal terminology) and worried about nothing.

On the other hand, your situation is quite... unusual, if not suspicious, so I can understand why it might garner some looks. If you have a plausible story to explain the visits, I'm sure that would be more than enough.

The truth is that no country in the world has an obligation to let you in--they can turn you away with no reason, and there is very little you can do about it.
In practice, I find it unlikely that they would actually not let you into Argentina, they can make a show at migrations but this isn´t the US or Spain (there were some cases of Spain turning away Argentine scientists who had visas to enter for a conference, one woman miscarried in the holding cell).
If it worries you, you can get a new passport, but funny looks are just that--before I got legal residency one woman told me that they would not let me back in. They did.

I have loads of Argentine and Chilean stamps in my passport, and never a problem.

You're demonstrating financial self sufficiency with all those stamps, so the logical thing to do would be to welcome you in with open arms so you will spend some of that money in Argentina. But of course with government bureaucrats logic can be dispensed with arbitrarily...

So no guarantees, but of all the countries I've been to, Argentina seems the most flexible in terms of immigration checks.

Missed what passport are you holding , but if a US passport as long as you are not in the country for more than 90 days in one trip no issue you can be here for 89 days leave mfor one day come back and keep doing it .
The only way they can stop you if you get a criminal record

My only problem has been running out of pages, especially since the US eliminated the businessman's passport and now requires you to pay for the extra pages.

Just an update, had my first ever questioning/weird look at AEP when a young migraciones lady asked if I had a resident visa when she saw all my stamps. First she thought I was a student, I told her no I am visiting my girlfriend. She asked if she was Argentinian - which she is. She said I should get residency and I told her I that I am too young to get married but it is possible in the future. She laughed, said she understood and that she was also too young and off I went.

My only problem has been running out of pages, especially since the US eliminated the businessman's passport and now requires you to pay for the extra pages.

Yes, I once had to pay for extra pages in Buenos Aires a couple years go. But I just recently got a new U.S. passport because mine was set to expire soon, and the woman at the embassy suggested I get the 52-page book. I assumed it would cost double, so I said no, but asked about the price just out of curiosity. Well, it turns out it's the exact same price as the 28-page book! Perhaps this is new and I'm not sure if this is the "businessman's passport" you mentioned, but I was grateful.

Yes, I once had to pay for extra pages in Buenos Aires a couple years go. But I just recently got a new U.S. passport because mine was set to expire soon, and the woman at the embassy suggested I get the 52-page book. I assumed it would cost double, so I said no, but asked about the price just out of curiosity. Well, it turns out it's the exact same price as the 28-page book! Perhaps this is new and I'm not sure if this is the "businessman's passport" you mentioned, but I was grateful.

When I last renewed my US passport, about three years ago, they told me the businessman's passport no longer existed and I would have to pay for inserting extra pages.

Back