Too Many Pizzerias And Carbs In Bsas Stop This Now

polostar88

Registered
This is not good. One big change I've seen since 3 yrs ago is the proliferation of pizzerias, bakeries, and confiterias. I'm aware there were always many, but they have spread.

Meanwhile, the traditional Argentinian parilla is becoming relatively rare; I've had trouble finding one, you have to walk many blocks to find a parilla...and then when you do find one, they are often empty. I've also eaten in a parilla where they didn't salt the meat, in a misguided effort to be "healthy."

This is a terrible development. The Argentinians are being brainwashed by American-style "health" and "nutrition" advice and by the food and pharma industry that supports this bad advice. They are accordingly, like the Americans, becoming fatter and less healthy as they abandon their traditional awesome diet of meat, offal, and wine. Today I saw an apartment and there was a fat girl in the elevator who smelled absolutely awful, I still can't get it out of my mind. I see a lot of fat people on the street, and it seems like this has disproportionately affected girls.

Someone needs to stop this and tell the Argentinians that grass-fed beef, pork, and wine is healthy, that there is nothing wrong with salt, and that breads, pasta, soy, "whole grains" and the ridiculous "health stores" selling birdfood will make you weak and unhealthy.

Sweden is the first country to declare that a high fat, low carb diet is in fact much healthier (assuming you eat good fats and not rancid vegetable oils). Argentina has long known this, but now people are abandoning their traditional diet for a dangerous unsatisfying fare of bread and carbs. It's getting ridiculous, I've really had to go out of my way to avoid eating inane "bread."

I don't think it has anything to do with nutrition or choice... it's that meat is expensive. Pizzerias have replaced asados because they're cheaper. Beef isn't as commonly grass fed anymore because that's expensive, too.

My mother-in-law was in a carniceria buying meat for an asado when some man said "who can afford an asado these days?" with a sort of disgusted tone.

I don't think it has anything to do with nutrition or choice... it's that meat is expensive. Pizzerias have replaced asados because they're cheaper. Beef isn't as commonly grass fed anymore because that's expensive, too.

My mother-in-law was in a carniceria buying meat for an asado when some man said "who can afford an asado these days?" with a sort of disgusted tone.

There are pizerrias all over Palermo and Recoleta, where people who have at least some money live, and few parillas now. Consider the prices. The price for a large basic pizza is around 150; the more elaborate pizzas are worth even more. The bakeries and confiterias I see everywhere provide almost no nutritional value and are not cheap, and a net drain/luxury (I never eat sweets and don't miss it). By contrast I just had a 500 gr. ojo de bife at a great parilla for 150. I was hungry but that's large enough for two to share, and at cheaper parillas it goes for 100 or even less. It's true that you can "share" a large pizza between more people. Could that be the reason? In the end, I doubt it. I think it's that people have strong carb and sugar cravings which are encouraged by the food and "nutrition" industry here instead of being discouraged. I believe women and girls are especially susceptible to this advertising for a number of reasons (they are also targeted). The same phenomenon can be observed in Brazil, even in the nicer neighborhoods.

A tabla de achuras can be shared between three or even four people, same as pizza, with a glass of wine each, and go for less than most large pizzas.

What you say may therefore have some truth, but I think the deciding factor is the noxious govt. and corporate propaganda leading people astray. So that people believe it's "healthy" if it doesn't have animal fats, and they go for carbs, bread, sweets, etc., when the very opposite is the truth. As part of this change you may also see Palermo and Recoleta now full of "green" "health food" stores that specialize in selling expensive "whole grains," i.e. bird food and other nutrient-poor foods and soy products (also a byproduct of the food industry, and basically poison for humans). These also represent a luxury and net drain, and it's motivated by wrong information. Similar to how the parilla I went to the night before had their meat entirely unsalted! And when I asked why I was told precisely this, that it's for health reasons.

I agree with your general assessment. There was a neighborhood parrilla near my apartment that was replaced by a cheap pizzeria. I think some of it has to do with economics. However, I've seen millet veggie burgers sold for more than beef burgers at health food stores. Millet is a poverty grain that causes malnutrition in some African countries due to the fact they can't afford anything else, and is also used as bird feed. The whole low fat movement is pretty strong here.

I have essentially gone vegan in the past couple of years. Sometimes I cheat and eat items with animal products that were made by others. On my own, however, I never cook with any animal products.

I did it mainly for health reasons, and I do feel much better. Moreover, I've watched too many documentary films and videos of animal abuse. It turns my stomach at this point to consume a product that is derived from so much pain.

Thus, I think it's a good thing that Buenos Aires is becoming less meat crazed, if that is actually the case.

BTW, for good vegan pizza, I recommend: http://www.pizzavegana.com/

I have essentially gone vegan in the past couple of years. Sometimes I cheat and eat items with animal products that were made by others. On my own, however, I never cook with any animal products.

I did it mainly for health reasons, and I do feel much better. Moreover, I've watched too many documentary films and videos of animal abuse. It turns my stomach at this point to consume a product that is derived from so much pain.

Thus, I think it's a good thing that Buenos Aires is becoming less meat crazed, if that is actually the case.

BTW, for good vegan pizza, I recommend: http://www.pizzavegana.com/

I understand doing it for moral reasons, but becoming vegan (or even vegetarian) for health reasons is not the right way to go. You can look up studies on this, including the fact that children raised vegan have serious and possibly permanent neurological damage. You may feel better temporarily as a placebo effect. Or because you associate feeling morally good with feeling healthy, the same way marathon runners feel "good" even though running marathons or long-distance running in general is one of the worst things you can do to your body. But I guarantee you, you are not healthier because of being vegan or vegetarian.

The results of Argentinians becoming less "meat-crazed" is rampant obesity and inflammation, which can now be observed on the streets here more than before. Same as in the USA, where the rise in caloric intake since the 1970's has almost entirely consisted of more carbs, sugar, grains, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Big-Fat-Surprise-Healthy/dp/1451624425
http://online.wsj.com/articles/nina-teicholz-the-last-anti-fat-crusaders-1414536989

I agree with your general assessment. There was a neighborhood parrilla near my apartment that was replaced by a cheap pizzeria. I think some of it has to do with economics. However, I've seen millet veggie burgers sold for more than beef burgers at health food stores. Millet is a poverty grain that causes malnutrition in some African countries due to the fact they can't afford anything else, and is also used as bird feed. The whole low fat movement is pretty strong here.

Ultimately it can't have anything to do with economics because the health effects of switching to carbs, sugars, and vegetable fats are so bad that in the long term they will pay later, and in much worse ways. But as you point out, even in the short term it can't be explained by economics; health food stores (which are nothing of the sort) have proliferated, and these are expensive. And I repeat, a tabla de achuras can be shared just as much as a pizza can. A plate of grilled offal is one of the best things humans can eat, but they've been told "fat is bad." I see people here repeating this nonsense. Sweden finally abandoned it, while the USA still holds on to this idea, and Argentina has just begun in the last ten years and it's accelerating; and you can see the results on the street, or just look up obesity rates for Argentina, which used to be a country of lean people.

Storing, transporting and preserving meat is much expensive and requires much more work than transporting flour, grasa, salsa de tomate and mozzarella.
I don't know here, but usually to be a carnicero you have to know how to cut, store, and clean before handling meat (get a certification), whereas anybody can be a pizzaiolo.

Personally, I don't like the breads they have in Argentina, which I find dull and always with grasa. I don't see much variety in taste, just in shape. To me, they all looks breads for restaurants, and not oven goodies I was used to. The only alternative are those German kneads, such as those from Hausbrot with seeds and cereals, but they are too rich in yeast for my digestion.

Back