Tourist killed in Plaza San Martin

Stafford said:
Bet you a doughnut it gets buried! Go to any argentine newpaper right now and see what they're all talking about...

This is true. 2 hours ago I was in the almacén around the corner and I overheard that someone died. After listening a few seconds more, I realized they weren't talking about the murder. They were talking about "Flaco." My husband is also watching the news right now and JUST said "Estoy para atrás con esta noticia." And he wasn't talking about the murder today. Not that he should be more upset about a man he doesn't know vs. a musician he feels some connection with, but yes, this death is much more on the minds of Argentines this evening.

Macri does not control our country borders, Macri does not control the 1000 plus new homeless that arrive in the capital federal every day, macri does NOT control la policia federal....Macri cannot change legislation so that young killers/offenders can be jailed....ONLY la Reina Christina has the power to change the law...does she want to protect citizens against the young & underage criminals that run rampant through this city? well so far she has resisted.

Is Macri inviting more people to come & live in villa 31? NO! This city was never so crowded in the past, now we have an absent federal police controlled by a hostile federal gov in charge of this city. Macri's PR disaster?

The federal Government (K) is pulling out the policia federal from the subways....when the next subway commuter is murdered in a subway who's going to get blamed for it? Macri again? the federal gov has always held the responsibility for the Capital's security & now they are suddenly pulling back the police in order to cause political damage against Macri....when they have always had the OBLIGATION to maintain order here in the capital.

The metropolitan police is too new & young to be able to suddenly take over what the Federal has been doing for decades.

Stafford said:
The final two sentences in Clarín's article about it are very well written.

Laurent era un fotógrafo naturalista. Su pasión por la naturaleza, el buceo, la vida silvestre y la fotografía lo había llevado a recorrer diferentes destinos del mundo, incluidos varios viajes a Groenlandia, el norte de Canadá y Kamchatka. La muerte lo encontró en Buenos Aires.

"Una verguenza" seems to be the most common response from Argentine people commenting on articles written about this story around the web. And it most certainly is.

Now the story is getting totally buried. Luis Alberto Spinetta just died. So that's going to dominate the news for the next few days. Macri is probably not too upset about that. PR disaster averted.

Can any human being actually believe that a 62 year old semi-talented Argentine rocker's death is more important than the murder of a tourist who refused to give up his camrera?

What's the lesson?

Stay the hell away from Plaza San Martin...and Capital Federal...unless you have enough life insurance to support your family, especially if you think your camera is worth more than your life.

PS I never heard much about El Flaco before tonight..and I don't think I missed that much.

Speaking of dead foreign rockers, I wasn't much of aMichel Beger fan until after he died, but I didn't know much about him before then,

There's no option to click on to thank someone for thanks, so thank you, Gringoboy for your thanks.

We have been talking about this all night and my heart goes out to Laurent and his family.
When my wife came back from CAP FED this evening, she knew nothing about this terrible murder until her son told her.
I can honestly say that the Argentine community is disgusted and appalled by this tragic loss of life on their own doorstep and quite rightly so.
The Argentine people are good people and this is not a reflection on them. They are incensed.
Was poor Laurent in the wrong place at the wrong time? Are we ever?
As for Spinetta? I hope he achieved in life that he could never achieve in death. Rock on........

Gringoboy said:
As for Spinetta? I hope he achieved in life that he could never achieve in death. Rock on........

How could Spinetta achieve anything in death..with the possible exception of album/cd sales that could easily exceed those achieved in life?

This is something that often happens after an "old" musician dies (John Denver and Michael Jackson CD sales skyrocketed after their deaths).

steveinbsas said:
Can any human being actually believe that a 62 year old semi-talented Argentine rocker's death is more important than the murder of a tourist who refused to give up his camrera?

I don't want to diminish the tragedy of death of the french tourist. But why the heck do you call Luis Spinetta semi-talented? Almendra was one of the most prominent Argentinean rock bands of its time.

Encuentro channel has a program (free reguistration required) about the beginnings of rock in Argentina and he is interviewed there among others. Sorry about the offtopic.

henryb said:
I don't want to diminish the tragedy of death of french tourist. But why the heck do you call Luis Spinetta semi-talented? Almendra was one of the most prominent Argentinean rock bands of its time.

Neil Diamond was probably the most prominent singer of the the US in the last 30 years of the 20th century.

Many would call him semi-talented, too.

And the grass won't pay no mind. ;)

The tourist killed in Plaza San Martin was the main topic of conversation in my office all day, so no it did not go unnoticed, and it is regretable, and tragic. Having said that, murder is in the news every day, even though the particular circumstance of the victim being a tourist taking a picture in Plaza San Martín during the day is eyecatching and definitely preoccupying, it something people are used to reading about.

On another hand Spinetta was not just a rock singer for the Argentine public, he was a poet, and a pacifist with a strong message of spirituality, unity and love, an example to his public. This is something this community craves due to its long history of violences and social tension. I understand that maybe the media should not prioritize it as news, but I do think its possitive that he be so kindly remembered, because it also shows how many of us value what he represented.

Back