Tourist killed in Plaza San Martin

captainmcd said:
I disagree with the premise that inequality is the cause of violent crime. I think it is just an excuse. I have walked into some desparately poor places in India, where they would consider a villa to be a great improvement over their spot on a sewer lined street, but they are friendly and willing to talk about their condition. Being poor does not give anyone the right to take things from others and worse to kill them. One of the basic human rights is the right to be protected from violent assaults.

This is interesting. Are you saying that it is because of the religions?

bradlyhale said:
It's not really my opinion. Various studies have concluded that many social ills are a result of socioeconomic inequality. People who live in more equal societies are healthier both mentally and physically, less violent, more educated, etc., etc.

violence.gif

The U.S. is about as unequal as Argentina (Gini coefficient), and intentional homicide rates are nearly the same.

This article by equality trust is an example of a study where the outcome is decided before the data is gathered and is only a justification for big government confiscating the assets of those it does not like under the excuse that it will create a better society. I still do not believe in any correlation between crime and inequality. In a just society there are laws, and those laws are meant to protect people from crime and violence. It is often the poorest people who suffer when the government fails to enforce the laws and protect its citizens.

Lee said:
This is a tragic event all the way around. This event was done by selfish criminals with no regard for anyone but themselves. The criminal who did this is responsible for his actions and there are no excuses beyond that...he simply choose to kill someone for their possession.

Murder can happen at any economic level and for many motivations. There is no reason to analyze it beyond the fact that this person was a selfish psychopath with no regard for human life.

Again, I need to reiterate that I'm not excusing what this guy did. It was a criminal act, and he should be held responsible for his actions. However, I have to strongly disagree with you on the point that we should throw him in a prison for the rest of his life, and go on about our lives.

I read the comment sections on Clarin, La Nacion, and Infobae, and everyone just screams "justicia" and "más policia." And yes, I think everyone wants justice for what has happened, and more police in the short term is necessary too.

Nonetheless, this homicide, as well others that occur daily in this country, should leave policymakers -- and us -- in Argentina wondering, "Are our policies at achieving a more equal society working?" The statistics and research show that achieving equality is a long-term solution to bringing down the number of incidents like these and improving the overall health of a society. The intentional homicide rate remains lower in Argentina than it was in the late 1990s and early 2000s, but it's still relatively high in comparison to Norway, Sweden, etc. A functioning judicial system and an effective police force are also important. There are many problems, but this one is the elephant in the room.

captainmcd said:
This article by equality trust is an example of a study where the outcome is decided before the data is gathered and is only a justification for big government confiscating the assets of those it does not like under the excuse that it will create a better society.

We pay for it either way. If we refuse to have our taxes go to public schools, education, housing, or toward a foundation that provides people the opportunities to get ahead in life, we will end up paying for it in police, alarm systems, security guards, reinforced doors, bars over your windows, etc., etc.

Compare the Gini coefficients for the countries and then compare the homicide rates. They correlate. And if you want, go read the more than 300 studies that suggest the same thing. You can deny it if you want because you believe otherwise so strongly, but the data are the data.

Nonetheless, this homicide, as well others that occur daily in this country, should leave policymakers -- and us -- in Argentina wondering, "Are our policies at achieving a more equal society working?"

The question is what policies? Universal child support that gets eaten away by inflation, payment to attend rallies & waves flags, free netbooks but no hygienic living conditions. I just wish I knew what their policies were to increase literacy and employment in the villa sector and how theywere really progressing on such in this unique opportunity of substantial growth when real leaps in education and employment should be felt in a subsequent reduction in basic crime..

Where exactly did this happen? I can't find Villa 31 on google maps

It was a tragic event what happened to the French guy but is it just me that finds it ironic that 10.000 deaths per year by the weapon that is a car is acceptable !
Where is the outrage from expats and argentinians alike about the hundreds of beautiful children killed each year on our roads that are now in the control of drunk and drugged drivers from morning to night .

I have seen with my own eyes brutal scenes of dead children run over by a bus driver who fails to stop at the lights or in his great impatience swerves wildly and sideswipes a family . For me this is murder as well.

There must be more law and order and more respect for others . These are atributes that are taught from a young age . Selfishness is a learnt behaviour and the Argentinian society must take a long hard look at themselves and learn humility.

Hey marksoc, put a soc in it please.

Remove your Che Guevara cap, put down the joint & listen carefully.

Your old communist heroes the montoneros have moved on, now they drive Audis & wear gucci.
All your 'red flag' waving is old.

Idealism mixed with middle class boredom can be a dangerous
mix, step back from the keyboard hermano & go & take some photos
of the people you want to save in villa 31. Then come back & show me
what you have found.

marksoc said:
No. They live there, is their land. The villa 31 is not new, is older than myself. Why poor people should live in the outskirts of the city? Build their houses exactly where they are now. And not by any "international contractors", by the State. Are you worried about poor people receiving something "they did not earn"? As if they were guilty of being poor.

Welcome to the 21th Century, the Century of Man, where each person has rights only because he/she exists.

puvenlee said:
This is interesting. Are you saying that it is because of the religions?

That is what I can not understand. I know my observation is not scientific, but have always been surprised in my visits to India that there does not seem to be any sense of shame or guilt by those who live in poverty, and no sense of anger at others more fortunate, either. Maybe it is religion, or perhaps a throwback to the old caste system where they view their condition as the normal way of the world. I don't know how that fits into the argument that inequality leads to crime.

Back