Tourist visa renewal and renewal and renewal....

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was here on a tourist visa, I extended it once at the immigration office and let it expire another time. I was (luckily) informed that if I got another extension or let it expire one more time I wouldn't be allowed back in the country for 5 years.

I too, had many many stamps from Argentina and Uruguay and on more than one occasion I received a LOT of trouble coming back in. I got a new passport which bought me some time until I got my work visa.

Another friend, an American, had a passport filled with tourist visa stamps and when coming back from Colonia the agent told him he had ONE MONTH to get legal or he would be not allowed back in. She stamped him for one month only.

If you can't get legal, GET A NEW PASSPORT!!

Suerte!!

shay said:
When I was here on a tourist visa, I extended it once at the immigration office and let it expire another time. I was (luckily) informed that if I got another extension or let it expire one more time I wouldn't be allowed back in the country for 5 years.

I too, had many many stamps from Argentina and Uruguay and on more than one occasion I received a LOT of trouble coming back in. I got a new passport which bought me some time until I got my work visa.

Another friend, an American, had a passport filled with tourist visa stamps and when coming back from Colonia the agent told him he had ONE MONTH to get legal or he would be not allowed back in. She stamped him for one month only.

If you can't get legal, GET A NEW PASSPORT!!

Suerte!!

How long ago did all of this happen? At the least it shows how unpredictable "enforcement" of the laws can be.

And it underscores the fact that making multiple round trips to Colonia to get a new tourist visa may not be legal in the first place.

A new US passport comes with a new number.

That (hopefully) would mean you were starting with a clean slate. If enforcement becomes common, however, that would only work for a short time (perhaps a year).

I am quite worried about this now as my tourist visa expired 2 months ago

Fettucini said:
I am quite worried about this now as my tourist visa expired 2 months ago

I wouldn't worry too much until at least a few more members post that they recently have had problems with migraciones and were denied reentry (for any length of time) or told they had to leave.

Meanwhile, just stay out of trouble and hope that others will post of more positive experiences when facing similar circumstances.

Worrying won't change anything, anyway.

I renewed my tourist visa twice last year, with a trip to brazil in between. The only problem I had was when i went to renew it a third time. Here is where it gets difficult for me to understand. I extended my visa until 4th of July 2008, I then went to Colonia on the 18th of April - my "in-laws" took us on holiday (it is a tough life). When I went to migraciones in July to have my visa from april extended they told me that even though i left the country I came back within the time of the extension and they couldn't grant another one. They told me they could give me another 10 days for 100 pesos, I was going back to Australia for a few months in a week so I just paid 50 pesos at the airport. No problem. I didn't know about this three strikes law though.

davosba said:
When I went to migraciones in July to have my visa from april extended they told me that even though i left the country I came back within the time of the extension and they couldn't grant another one. They told me they could give me another 10 days for 100 pesos, I was going back to Australia for a few months in a week so I just paid 50 pesos at the airport.

This is recent enough (July 2008) to cause some concern for those who do the "round trip thing" to Colonia. You are now in Australia and haven't returned since you left with the expired visa?

davosba said:
I didn't know about this three strikes law though.

Three strikes is just an expression I used (based on being a baseball fan, tana's post, and the "three felonies and you're in for life" law in the US).

I am not saying that I know this is the specific law in Argentina, but if you violate immigration laws three times here, you can expect negative consequences.

Forget leaving every 3 months just pay the $50 fine when you HAVE to leave and that's that. Going to Colonia every 90 days is a waste of money.

No I am back in BA, no problem getting in the country (the 24 hour delay in New Zealand kind of sucked though). Going to try to extend my visa in January. Fingers crossed it all goes well, if not I will go to Colonia and come back and see what happens. We are waiting for Australia to approve a visa for my girlfriend. I am actually related to the governor general of queensland, unfortunately i don't remember ever meeting her. Damn!

smaggi said:
Forget leaving every 3 months just pay the $50 fine when you HAVE to leave and that's that. Going to Colonia every 90 days is a waste of money.

I would agree for most people. Going to Colonia is no better than doing nothing, doing nothing is free.

smaggi said:

Remember, you can go to migraciones and get a 90 day extension at the prorrogas de permanencia desk. Then it is only necessary to go to Colonia (or anywhere else in the world) once every six months...if you want to stay legal...at least as long as they allow it.

As Attorney once posted, if you have any desire to apply for Argentine residency in the future, it is inadvisable to have any violations of Argentine immigration laws on record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back