Tourist Visas Sketchy...is Marrying An Argentine The Answer?

Citizenship may be your best bet, depending on how long you've been here. I agree with the others that a sham marriage is likely to bring too many issues with it.

I know a friend who set up a situation with a rentista visa where he had a bank account and corporation in Panama (not terribly difficult or horribly expensive to do, although the bank account can cause a few problems). He worked with an accountant there as well. His rentista money started off in the account in Panama, the monthly stipend was sent to his Argentine bank account, and he then recycled the money by re-depositing it in the Panamanian bank (this could be a bit expensive, depending on how much you'd have to cycle through and all).

I would not necessarily suggest that either, it's just something that I know for sure has worked at least once.

Personally, I married a Paraguayan here who had residency and it was indeed easy to get the residency for me. But it is a real marriage :)

1. Will he have a right to everything I earn and own? Are there prenuptial agreements in BA?

In short (had a long day, take it with a grain of salt)
What you own before = no (except if you die, he will inherit at least a part of it)
Money you make after you marry = "bienes gananciales" hence he has a right upon this money, except for a later "separacion de hecho" (bienes anomalos)
Things you'll buy with the money you make after you marry = same as above.

Capítulo I - De las convenciones matrimoniales

Artículo 1217

Antes de la celebración del matrimonio los esposos pueden hacer convenciones que tengan únicamente los objetos siguientes:
1 - La designación de los bienes que cada uno lleva al matrimonio; 2 - Derogado por la ley 17.711. 3 - Las donaciones que el esposo hiciere a la esposa; 4 - Derogado por la ley 17.711.
Artículo 1218

Toda convención entre los esposos sobre cualquier otro objeto relativo a su matrimonio, como toda renuncia del uno que resulte a favor del otro, o del derecho a los gananciales de la sociedad conyugal, es de ningún valor.

Yes, seeking citizenship (but if you do it yourself, you need to speak well Spanish, not because of an exam, just to deal with the process or the local idiosyncrasy)

So back to my first suggestion: why not a Student visa? (don't know much about that)

This is all very helpful...and I think it's clear that marriage is NOT the best option. I've reached out to another lawyer, and will do more research on the student visa options tomorrow.

And if all else fails, I'm glad to know I have adoption to fall back on.

If Argie residency means sooooo much to you the McKenna, Frenchie, Steve, Ajo and I will adopt you.

While I liked the comment, I do not myself have residence (though my wife is a citizen).

In short (had a long day, take it with a grain of salt)
What you own before = no (except if you die, he will inherit at least a part of it)
Money you make after you marry = "bienes gananciales" hence he has a right upon this money, except for a later "separacion de hecho" (bienes anomalos)
Things you'll buy with the money you make after you marry = same as above.

They have asset separation in Argentina, and you can opt for it when marrying. In this case things should remain separate unless they are put under both names.

Back