Tourist Visas Sketchy...is Marrying An Argentine The Answer?

I know a friend who set up a situation with a rentista visa where he had a bank account and corporation in Panama (not terribly difficult or horribly expensive to do, although the bank account can cause a few problems). He worked with an accountant there as well. His rentista money started off in the account in Panama, the monthly stipend was sent to his Argentine bank account, and he then recycled the money by re-depositing it in the Panamanian bank (this could be a bit expensive, depending on how much you'd have to cycle through and all).

More than 99 ways to skin a cat.

Just curious ... why bother setting up a Panamanian company? ... wouldn't my [Canadian/substitute your country] company do the same.
My [Canadian] company pays me $2200 US regularly.
Wouldn't that be good enough to satisfy a Rentista Monthly Income requirement?

I have a student visa currently though I am actually studying here full time. You have to show that you are enrolled in a valid university and it has to be renewed every 6 months, after the first 6 months you can qualify for a DNI with Extranjero on it though. But to my knowledge it takes a few years to legally get permanent residency from or maybe its not possible... something I'm trying to figure out myself because I want a more permanent status. The main thing though with it is the documentation from a university showing that you are actually taking classes. It is a must. But if you find any info on if its even possible for it to lead to perm res please let me know because thats what I'm trying to figure out myself too...

More than 99 ways to skin a cat.

Just curious ... why bother setting up a Panamanian company? ... wouldn't my [Canadian/substitute your country] company do the same.
My [Canadian] company pays me $2200 US regularly.
Wouldn't that be good enough to satisfy a Rentista Monthly Income requirement?

As I understand things, salaries don't count, but rather money received from stock dividends in this case (i.e., not the value of any sold shares themselves) is what was key for the rentista visa. My buddy already had a Panama corporation set up for other reasons and it is much easier for an accountant from Panama to fudge things there than in the States or many other countries.

Good topic, interested to read the answers - especially regarding marriage and asset/income allocation.

They have asset separation in Argentina, and you can opt for it when marrying. In this case things should remain separate unless they are put under both names.

Are you talking about the things you enter into the marriage with? Yes, that's correct - what you enter with, you leave with. But anything purchased while married is a joint asset. * And prenups aren't legally binding here.

*The only way around this that I know is if you have a company set up and only one partner is a shareholder. If the company purchases the assets (house,car, whatever), then technically the company owns it and it wouldn't be a shared asset to be divided during divorce.

I'm responding before reading through all the posts so sorry if this is repeated, but just wanted to chime in that it's my understanding about community property that the spouse is entitled to half of only what you acquire AFTER marriage, i.e. if you buy an apartment after marriage, and divorce, the spouse gets half the value of the flat (if you ever sell it or if he sues you for it). Anything you earned before, or are due to inherit from your family, doesn't get added to the community property umbrella.

The other thing i wanted to share is that I heard from someone who was here on a rentista visa, just how easy it really is.... i.e. "you have to deposit 8,000 pesos in your Argentine bank account every month" (or whatever is the minimum amount, I'm not sure...) "but you can take 8,000 out one month, put it back the next month, and nobody every checks." I could be wrong, I don't know from personal experience, but would love to know if it's really like that!!

Back