Tourist Visas Sketchy...is Marrying An Argentine The Answer?

Thread is kind of stale, but, here's something along the same topic line - purely hypothetical...
If a US citizen married an Argentino (who later became a US citizen) in the US and then got divorced there, but later decided to move to Argentina to live (and the ex had already moved back to Argentina), would the Argentine gov't have a way of knowing that they were divorced? Could the US citizen apply for permanent residency using the ex (who is willing to go along - she gave him his US green card and residency for heaven's sake!) as an actual current spouse without anyone catching on?
Any thoughts?

Interesting. I married an Argentine on a tourist visa, we moved back to the US and he got his green card. We also married in the States and got divorced there. Many, many years later I moved back to Argentina and got my residence myself. I didn't know where he was, and without his DNI could not get a residence visa, so I didn't get a spousal visa. I never even mentioned him at the interview. I don't think in Argentina they have a way of knowing I was divorced in the States. In fact, in order to prove it, you have to get your divorce papers in the States certified, then apostilled, then translated in Argentina, then certify the translation. I imagine if you were to go to immigrations with your ex-huband and apply for a visa, that they wouldn't know if were you're divorced or married. Bajo_cero2 would know for sure. I told them I was single when I applied for my visa and they never questioned it.

Back