Tourist visas

YanquiGallego said:
Right, this is exactly what I mentioned in my post. A professional will always give you their professional opinion, just like if I asked an airport customs worker, ¨If I bring back 4 Iphones from the States, will I get taxed?¨ They would certainly say yes. Whether or not it is enforced, is a different story. However, perhaps they are toughening up.

Well, the debate is simpler:

Is there any advantage about going to Colonia? No!
Is there any advantage about overstaying? Yes!
Are both situations against the immigration law? Yes.
What is the best way to get a deportation order? Apply for a visa.

Regards

All done.

My advice is to call Migraciones (who don't have any financial motivation nor are looking for clients) and ask your questions directly.

It's what I did when my friend asked me to check. I simply wanted to share my experiences and feedback given to me by a lawyer and migraciones directly.

There are certain advantages to having an up to date tourist stamp, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk or expense of the Colonia run anymore.

The vague language is a bit frustrating, but if Argentina were to write out the rules in clear language chances are they'd adopt the immigration policies of the majority of other nations. Of course that does leave quite a few "permatourists" in limbo and open to the interpretation of the schizophrenic government. :p

If this 180 days limit were true (in practice, not in law), how come I've never gotten a warning or anything of the sort when passing through immigration/customs? The people stamping your passport must know the law as well as anyone... or are at least following directives. It seems the current directive is not too strict, though of course is subject to change at any time. :rolleyes: I have never heard of a "permatourist" being warned that they must spend at least X amount of days outside the country before returning.

citygirl said:
My advice is to call Migraciones (who don't have any financial motivation nor are looking for clients) and ask your questions directly.

To call Migraciones is an awful advice. They might be many things but for sure they aren´t impartial and they aren´t going to defend your rights as soon as they think that their duty is to deport people because of any minor infraction to the immigration law.

The only ones who know about law are the lawyers. Some know more, some know less but they know.

So, I only agree with you regarding that you consulted a lawyer you trust, that´s an outstanding advice.

Regards

citygirl said:
All done.

It's what I did when my friend asked me to check. I simply wanted to share my experiences and feedback given to me by a lawyer and migraciones directly.

I for one, do not question the primary motives of Bajo Cero by providing us with practical information based on real life situations on this issue. If by ricochet, it does get him new clients, well good for him.

Based on what I have often read on BA Expats about expats dealing with public service workers in Argentina, I am rather inclinded to be skeptical about the ever changing information that I would receive from them and would rather opt for Bajo Cero's advice based on real-life situations.

Its like opting for what really happens over what officially should happen.

Eclair said:
It seems the current directive is not too strict, though of course is subject to change at any time. :rolleyes: I have never heard of a "permatourist" being warned that they must spend at least X amount of days outside the country before returning.

Ok, let´s say you never lock the door of your house. It doesn´t mean that you are going to be robbed. You neighbor might know about that but he might decide to do nothing about that.

However, he might tell about that to somebody else who is a criminal and if he decides to enter your home and to rob you, he can do it right now because you left the door open.

This is the way law works.

This government has took actions regarding foreigners because CFK is nationalist:
1) Land limitations act and its decree that is going to be used to expropriate land,
2) decree 616/2010 (deportation act)
3) has expropriated YPF
4) and she is making politics regarding to conflict about Malvinas.

So, today an Spanish citizen was at my office with a deportation order enacted just during the YPF gate.

Sorry Citigirl, you are wrong about this too, to advice about to overstay produce no financial advantage for me. To give proper legal advice might.

Regards

This forum has really freaked me out! My situation: I came here 5 years ago and would usually stay 4-6 months going to brazil in between so I never overstayed my visa. Then less then 3 years ago I met my now fiancée. So I stay in Argentina for about 9 months at a time and go to colonia every 3 months! About 2 months ago I realized I overstayed my visa and went to migraccion and they told me just to pay when I leave (as I've already paid for a visa at migraccion on the past). I'm getting married next dec 2012 and leaving for London and Canada in 2 weeks but I'm so scared after reading some of these posts that I won't be allowed back in. Especially because when I did pay for an extended visa in migraccion earlier this year, the man at the desk told me the process took longer then usual because they noticed that I've been Back and forth here for so many years. But all he told me is that one day they may give me a warning that I must apply for a residency to keep living here this long! But now I'm freaked out to leave in 2 weeks. We are wondering if we should get married before I go although I really wanted to wait for the wedding in dec! One of my questions is: if they do tell me that I'm not allowed back in but me and my boyfriend get married after, say in Uruguay or Canada, will I be allowed in again?

Shoush, I don't think you need to freak out just yet. People here are just discussing legal matters vs. the actual practice.

As for getting married here before you leave in two weeks, it's not possible. You need to give your Registro Civil a 28 day notice and only then (after getting your medical done) can you get married.

If you get married in Uruguay or Canada, all you need to do is get your marriage certificate attested by the Argentine embassy in the respective country and you can apply for a permanent residency. It's a pretty simple process. Mine took 2 weeks from submission of my application to getting the visa on my passport.

Anyway, like I said, it doesn't seem like you need to worry yet. But the key word is "yet" because you never know what Cristina is going to think of next to entertain herself.

Bajo_cero2 said:
This is the way law works.

This government has took actions regarding foreigners because CFK is nationalist:
1) Land limitations act and its decree that is going to be used to expropriate land,
2) decree 616/2010 (deportation act)
3) has expropriated YPF
4) and she is making politics regarding to conflict about Malvinas.

So, today an Spanish citizen was at my office with a deportation order enacted just during the YPF gate.

Sorry Citigirl, you are wrong about this too, to advice about to overstay produce no financial advantage for me. To give proper legal advice might.

Regards

I'm not Citygirl and I wasn't arguing with what you're saying. :) I was just trying to say that the government hasn't been very clear or consistent and that's confusing (when it comes to laws vs execution of those laws.) :p

I have entered and left this country at will, sometimes paying fines, sometimes not, staying for a while or for months, and leaving for weeks or for months. Nobody said a word to me ever. The "laws" aren't the clearest in their enforcement which is what most people rely on when acting. Of course we all know things change monthly in Argentina. :rolleyes:

The 180 days is not clear to me. It doesn't say 180 days in one year... just maximum 180 days at a time (90 tourist + 90 extension.) But how many trips can you make to Argentina in a year? At what point are you considered "irregular" if the way the law is written (and so far enforced) seems like you can enter and leave at will? Paying the corresponding fines, of course. I didn't read anything about a minimum number of days you must be out of the country before you can re-enter on a tourist visa. I suppose it is the Colonia runs that are the most suspicious since that's the preferred method of "renewing" a visa.

It just seems counter-intuitive that doing nothing and simply overstaying is a better option than "renewing" your visa through a Colonia visit... though that seems to be the case. ;)

Eclair said:
There are certain advantages to having an up to date tourist stamp

As a prospective perma-tourist, I'd be genuinely curious to know what those are!

Back