Tourist visas

Bajo_cero2, I hope the admin at BAEXPATS is paying you well!

Seriously though, thank you for all the information that you provide here.

Hello
I've been reading some information about Visa extension and overstaying.
Mine problem is a bit more complex and different.
I am working in Argentina legally in a company , which has a branch in Miami. My wife's status in Argentina was a tourist status and she already has 1 extension of visa which is overstayed also (more than 180 days).
So i have here 2 questions.
First of all - i am proposed to move to US with Visa L1 and my wife gets L2 visa (as dependant). Can the overstayed visa here, in Argentina be the problem to obtain US L2 visa ? We are both currently in Argentina.
The second thing is like this - the fee which you pay (300$) is a fee just to leave the country or it allows you to stay in Argentina legally for another 3 months ?
We are really a bit worried about all this and you know what Argentinian lawyers mean - company lawyer said that there is no sense to make Family reunion status for my wife as she can pay fee of 300 pesos when she leave. But the situation is that in February we will start the L visa for US process.
Thanks a lot in advance !

If you have legal residency, she deserves it too. So, she can apply for a precaria ( just as an strategy to get an extensión).

She shoul dm t overstay.

Yeah i understand that , its just that Argentinian lawyer said that there is no sense to make as she can pay fee and we will have no troubles in US embassy with that.
What i want to find out - is this true or that lawyer is just too lazy to do that process of Family Reunion ? We should call US embassy to find that out or we can address migraciones with this question ?

I already answer you (t•97 f•620 cpacf).
There are as many different answer as lawyers.
The ethic's law forbidds me to give opinión about another lawyer.

I often have dozens of Argentine stamps in my passport, but am rarely in the country for anything approaching 90 consecutive days. A couple times I have traveled to Uruguay out of convenience with no hassle whatsoever. I recall being asked once, at Ezeiza, about the number of stamps and I simply said I have family in Argentina (which is true). No further questions.

My wife travels to Argentina on her US passport, but Migraciones has never collected the retaliation fee from her, saying it does not apply to Argentine-born US passport holders. I wonder whether the next time, though, the airline will let her board without it.

Hellooooooi, the fee you are talking about does not applies to a citizen no matter the passport she uses.

Hellooooooi, the fee you are talking about does not applies to a citizen no matter the passport she use.

The issue is not whether Migraciones acknowledges it, but whether the airline will let her fly on her US passport with no evidence of her having paid the retaliation fee.

Bajo_cero2 - yes , i understood that she can make legal documents here in Argentina. The question is - can her "illegal" status here affect obtaining L2 visa in US Embassy ? And the second is - that "fee" you pay for overstaying - it gives you any kind of legal status staying here , or it is being payed only when you leave the country - without changing your status ?
Thanks a lot !
I forgot to mention one important thing - we are from Moldova and she cannot just cross Uruguay to get another 90 days visa - we need to get visa at Argentinian Embassy.

Hi there, longtime lurker, first time poster here.

If you google denied reentry to argentina, this thread is the first that comes up, so I hope my rather late bump will be permitted.

I've been in Argentina for 3 years, I don't do the visa run, I just pay the fee when I go home for christmas.

I did this for the third time today and the very irate member of migraciones informed me "bue, you won't be able to enter the country again." When I asked why he said it was because I had paid the fee 3 times and that if I wanted more information I should ask at a consulate.

I recovered from my shock at my gate and then went back to get more information. I asked at the booth nearest the duty free where another, much nicer migraciones guy said that no, I would have no problem getting back in. I insisted a little bit and he took me to the back where spoke to a man that was apparently the supervisor. The supervisor began to review my passport while the sympathetic inmigration guy explained. The inmigration guy said something I could not hear and the supervisor immediately closed my passport and threw it back at the inmigration guy, speaking very shortly. The inmigration then told me that there was no problem and that at any rate, it's actually 5 times you have to pay the fee before it gets "more or less complicated". I asked if it was possible that the other official had left something in my passport that would prohibit my reentry, he said that that was impossible. Some other person came to occupy his attention and I decided that I was unlikely to get anymore information from him, so I thanked him and went to my gate.

So here I am with a number of contradictory verbal statements from migraciones and, now that I examine it more closely, I see that the first officlal did leave a small symbol written in red pen next to my exit stamp. I can't really decipher it.

I have a flight back to Argentina and I'm very concerned that I'll get Ezeiza only to be denied entry. I'm hoping that I could get a concrete assessment of what's going on here.

Thank you, and please excuse my rather self-interested invasion of the forum.

Back