Training Ship Libertad Detained in Ghana

I read it, was going to post on it but didn't. I don't believe anyone else has posted on it either.

It is interesting really.

Does this not amount to piracy? Or is this a completely legal action? I don't know all the details of the court ruling they seem to be referring to.

It seems logical to confiscate property belonging to people who owe you money...doing that to a whole country...now I've never heard that before.

nicoenarg said:
I read it, was going to post on it but didn't. I don't believe anyone else has posted on it either.

It is interesting really.

Does this not amount to piracy? Or is this a completely legal action? I don't know all the details of the court ruling they seem to be referring to.

It seems logical to confiscate property belonging to people who owe you money...doing that to a whole country...now I've never heard that before.

The article made it seem like it would be a good idea to set up a company to purchase your own debt a pennies on the dollar and then no one would have your outstanding debt.

LOL.

However, Cristina now has plenty of fuel for her anti-colonial, "me (and maybe Venezuela) against the evil empire-builders" fire.

Maybe even something to bring the Prefectura closer to Cristina - a new, fresh symbol like the Falklands.

Dictators seem to come out of times of crisis...

This is great. I love it. If you or I don't pay our bills the creditors come after us. Your car, for example, can be repossessed. Same thing here.

Will those two hundred sailors be left in Ghana to fend for themselves? Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the CFK government failed to provide housing, food etc while this matter is being resolved.

scotttswan said:
i wonder if "tango 1" is next?
I think Tango 1 has some sort of Diplomatic protection, though I could be wrong, also it is my understanding that Argentina never fully transferred Aerolineas to the government in order to protect the planes from been seized when overseas.
This is also why they can't sell bonds overseas as the proceeds from the sales could be seized.

As I recall, possibly pre-Kirchner, there was a time when Tango 1 was temporarily embargoed or at least their was a threat of that and the President was afraid to travel abroad. Maybe someone has better information.

Back