Training Ship Libertad Detained in Ghana

scottlyon said:
That said, you can't hijack a navy boat. If this were a country and not a hedge fund doing this it would be considered a declaration of war.

It is war or sorts - part of an economic blockade flying the vulture flag.

Cant help reflecting its a strange sort of ironic reverse gunboat diplomacy.

Palmerston has rightly got a bad name ever since for that. In the 19th Century when Spain debt defaulting resulted in threat to pay up or in goes the Royal Navy the sitting PM was denounced by the Chartists.

http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2012/07/plus-ca-change/

In 1846 Palmerston had threatened the government of Spain with military intervention if it defaulted on its bond interest payments. Palmerston faced a Chartist candidate, George Harney, at the general election in his Tiverton constituency. At the hustings debate, Harney said Palmerston’s threat to Spain was unjustifiable:

“These Spanish bondholders are English capitalists, who lent some millions of money to the government of Spain, not, as has been represented, because they were anxious to help the people of that country to obtain “Liberal institutions”, but because they were promised a higher rate of interest than they could get at home. That money had been derived from the labour of the English people.”

Harney argued that Palmerston’s foreign policy was simply to deploy the resources of the state to defend the interests of the rich.

Congratulations to the US judiciary supported by the White House telling the Vultures to sling their hook. I wonder if that policy will change after the forthcoming elections?

sergio said:
As I recall, possibly pre-Kirchner, there was a time when Tango 1 was temporarily embargoed or at least their was a threat of that and the President was afraid to travel abroad. Maybe someone has better information.
i don´t think it actually happened but the fear was real and it was close to happen in more than just one ocassion

http://www.lanueva.com/edicion_impresa/nota/6/10/2010/aa6012.html

scottlyon said:
That said, you can't hijack a navy boat. If this were a country and not a hedge fund doing this it would be considered a declaration of war.

Apparently you can. :p And they did.

Argentina doesn't have a lot of international friends, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they get the cold shoulder when they protest. ;)

I wonder what this billionaire has planned for the boat? That's a pretty significant revenge trophy.

I doubt that the chap has any designs directly related to the boat. As said before this is a publicity stunt.
Boats are a notoriously bad investment and a boat of this size would cost tens of thousands of dollars a day to run, just to keep seaworthy. I doubt he could even find a buyer.

Although, If I had 11 million dollars spare with 2 million a year disposable for upkeep, I would be first in line. It's a beautiful boat.

Libertad.jpg

Is this the boat that used to be parked in Puerto Madero? Or is that another, similar boat?

Yes, Tango 01 was targeted. Here's the Forbes story. The Real Story Of How A Hedge Fund Detained A Vessel In Ghana.

This is all very exciting stuff! I worked for an aircraft leasing company at one point as a "retrieval expert." When an airline that was leasing aircraft or aircraft engines defaulted on their lease payments my crew and I would fly into remote locations, intercept the aircraft, assume command and fly it back to "friendly" locations. On more than one occasion we wore disguises and fake uniforms to get onto the aircraft. My constant fear was that some knucklehead trying to be a hero would drive a truck out onto the runway while we were on takeoff.

At one point, in a certain African nation, we knew the airport manager was being paid off by the airline to guard the assets. We hired a high-level call-girl company, paid a large sum of money to have them entertain the airport manager and his team at the first night of a fake technology conference, and flew the 757 out and back to France.

At night my kids ask me to tell them stories. This is one that I tell, but I leave out the prostitutes and replace them with armored vehicles and rocket launchers. Hahaha!

rrptownley said:
I doubt that the chap has any designs directly related to the boat. As said before this is a publicity stunt.

True. :) I meant if I took something that big from a nation, I'd display it. :p Perhaps he could use it as a lawn ornament or as a decoration for his private beach or island!

It'd be like having the Eiffel tower on your front lawn. Perhaps El Obelisco is next. ;)

sleslie23 said:
Is this the boat that used to be parked in Puerto Madero? Or is that another, similar boat?

If I'm not mistaken, yes... the one that was docked north of the BuqueBus terminal. Not to be confused with Fragata Sarmiento (PM dock #3), and Corbeta Uruguay (PM dock #4) which are floating museums.

Beautiful frigate BTW. Going to miss seeing it there.

2GuysInPM said:
If I'm not mistaken, yes... the one that was docked north of the BuqueBus terminal. Not to be confused with Fragata Sarmiento (PM dock #3), and Corbeta Uruguay (PM dock #4) which are floating museums.

Thanks. It's actually the Sarmiento I was thinking of. Maybe the floating museums will be put back into commission for the war on Ghana.

2GuysInPM said:

Three masted Full-Rigged Ship please - in English frigates mean another type of military sailing vessel. The difference is in the type of sails carried on the "mizern" mast where a frigate is more similar to a barque with no square sails on the aft mast so not "full rigged". I think Fragata is there because the Argentine navy uses the Spanish/German tradition of rank e.g Capitán de Fragata = Royal Navy Commander and this in reflected in the naming of the vessel "class".

There is a long tradition of one nation pinching another's tall ships and then using them for their own sail training and flag waving purposes.

For example the Horst Wessel three masted barque. Adolf Hitler and Rudolf Hess were present at the launch and christening. After the 2WW this became the USSCGC Eagle.

This was a sister ship to the Gorch Fock which was also "liberated" by the Soviets who however had other square riggers and let her rot. Maybe because they had also got their hands on the fabulous four masted barque "Padua" from Hamburg the only remaining "Flying P" left sailing and a very significant ship in merchant marine history (as is the three masted barque "Peking" moored in NY Harbour). Padua is still seen flying the Russian ensign in the Baltic and North Seas named the Kruzenshtern

http://youtu.be/qLAlZKciNDc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_P-Liner

Padua when trading almost certainly would have been into Buenos Aires. The five masted barque Potosi was given as war repatriation to Chile after the 1st WW and was lost off the Argentine coast where apparently the wreck can still be seen.

The German Bundesmarine built another of the same name Gork Fock which is another pride of the Tall Ships Races in Europe/North America.

Beautiful things to behold but not the best way to introduce young people to sailing.

Back