Transfering USD to Argentina

Don't transfer Foreign currency to a Bank in Argentina, you'll lost 35% because the Argentines banks will just convert it at the official rate. Bring cash or transfer funds to a bank in Uruguay, they will give you dollars. If you change the dollars in the black market they'll pay you 35% more than the official rate.
Let me know if you need assistance in this matter.

wstevens said:
So, I will be moving to Buenos Aires next month and I'm still trying to understand how the whole dollar-peso money transfers work.
I'm going to be earning a pretty low salary (in pesos) in Buenos Aires, but I have an additional $4000 per month in income that is being paid to me to a US based account.
Can I transfer that money in dollars to Argentina if needed?
I also noticed that a lot of apartments charge in US dollars. Can I simply pay for the apartment's rent (let's say $2000 USD) using my Us account?

What else am I missing? As I said, I'm not living in Argentina yet, so please spell things out for me,

Don't transfer Foreign currency to a Bank in Argentina, you'll lost 35% because the Argentines banks will just convert it at the official rate. Bring cash or transfer funds to a bank in Uruguay, they will give you dollars. If you change the dollars in the black market they'll pay you 35% more than the official rate.
Let me know if you need assistance in this matter.

Xoom is terrible, terrible, terrible! The have canceled my transfers almost every time and I had to redo them several times. The last time their indian call center told me to use another service going forward ...

Napoleon said:
Unfortunately, I don't have a problem with having "too many dollars". :-(
Me neither. I get paid a salary of USD2000/mth and live from one pay-check to the next, but it helps greatly that I have a trusted way to bring it here in dollars every month.

As previously explained, my offer to help anyone else to do that (for no personal gain) is lost amongst the noise here and I'm still seeing constant cries for help to bring dollars into the country. It's a shame, but I'll just shut up about it now!

Another way to get dollars into the country for free is through American Express. If you have an Amex gold card or higher you can go to their office downtown and take out up to $1,000 in cash every week or every two weeks (can't remember which). It is charged to your Amex account and no additional fee is charged.

steveinba said:
Another way to get dollars into the country for free is through American Express. If you have an Amex gold card or higher you can go to their office downtown and take out up to $1,000 in cash every week or every two weeks (can't remember which). It is charged to your Amex account and no additional fee is charged.

They have not allowed you to get dollars for a couple of years now. You can get pesos only, and then it's at the official rate.
http://www.discoverbuenosaires.com/an-easy-way-to-get-dollars-in-buenos-aires

I hear mixed reviews of Xoom.

However, Xoom conversion is a bit more than 6.0. IF I can make Xoom work for me, isn't this a better way to go than the Black Market?

Perhaps pursuing by PM or better,private email address is better? Thanks

With xoom I had to call them several times to make my transfers go through. They never seem to answer emails at all. And it is really no fun to talk to their customer agents ... try it for yourself and you will see.
Be prepared that they will cancel your transfer if you initiate it from Argentina (they monitor the IP address you use). Their exchange rate is good though ...

I do hear you. I would initiate a very small transfer from the States before I leave. Depending on how it goes, I would try for a larger amount in BA.

I have alternative options which seem less advantageous. Although I am a big fan of the color Black, i am not a big fan of something called the "Black" Market. :)

Back