Traveling On Options

Having traveled through the Middle East rather extensively prior to 2001, I can say alcohol is not verboten, it's just a matter of of how far you are willing to walk to find it (in Damascus we once went about 11km before happening upon a bar that just happened to be the site of an 18th birthday celebration, and we had a fantastic night). And the Saudis wreak havoc around their borders, spilling into Jordan every night to gamble and drink, they were terrible.

Victoria is nicknamed the city of the Newlyweds and Nearly Deads for a reason. It is a nice place for a few days, a nice place to raise a family, but for 6 months I don't know. I think there may not be enough, unless, as stated, you are huge into the outdoors (or at least salmon and halibut fishing). It is pretty for a visit, and I know people who live there who love it (and don't actually fit into either of the above categories, but they almost all work at the University).

Personally if I was going for small town, I would rather go to a small town in Portugal, Spain, or France. We were just in Midi-Pyrenees in August, there are some really lovely towns and a lot of them quite easily connected by train so that you can head off easily elsewhere.

Spain has its problems like anywhere but versus Argentina it is easily the better option and especially if you're from Europe.

Malaga is mafia town. Full of dodgy Russians and Brits with plastic wags. There are better places in Spain or Portugal imho.

There maybe some mafia influences in Marbella , where the dodgy Brits and and Russians tend to congregate . But Malaga itself and Torrremolinos and Benalmadena can hardly be called dens of iniquity.

Are there better places in Spain ? Of course there are but it all depends what you are looking for.

Canada, my pick has always been Montreal: Tough Winters though. One of my favorite places on the Planet.

Canada, my pick has always been Montreal: Tough Winters though. One of my favorite places on the Planet.

I'm a big fan of Montreal but only in the summer. I used to go up for the Jazz Festival regularly. A really nice city, but the winters...ouch.

It is reassuring to be in a "safe" city but, unfortunately, safety and boredom often go hand in hand.

How about a brief stay in Edinburgh ?

The briefer the better I'd say. Far too many tourists for my liking. My niece stays and works there as a lawyer and can't wait to get a shift to the Glasgow office as she thinks Glasgow's miles better.

Back