Tren de la Costa

Postmodernchild said:
Steve, even though BAFinance jump seemed funny, it is always nice to know that someone remembers to do what is right. You are one:D

I have to admit I don't always remember to do what's right (or at least what is required by law).

Recently I got a ticket for driving on the ruta without my headilghts on at noon. I am certain it was the first time I forgot to turn them on during the day. I paid $210 pesos for that error, but at least I can say it wasn't deliberate.

Though I didn't deliberately break the law, I would not have been "proud" of myself if I had made it home without getting a ticket or bragged about it here.

And, yes, I had to wait in line to pay the fine.

I actually had to go twice as I tried to pay too soon after receiving the ticket and it wasn't in the system (computer) yet.

That also meant driving over 60 KM (total), but at least I remembered to turn on my headlights.

I'm all about doing the right thing, and I've never passed by the gate (at the Subway, for example) without permission to do so. However, in the case of the subway, it can be downright frustrating when they have 4 windows that can be used to sell tickets but only one is open at 4 p.m.

It about sends me through the ROOF when I wait for 10 minutes in a line that runs to the entrance only to have them say they don't have change for my 10 peso note, and they allow me to pass through the gate ANYWAY.

Again, people should do the right thing. However, I guess I can understand when people get so frustrated that they just don't pay because it seems to me that these state-subsidized transportation companies don't really care a whole lot about selling those people tickets in the first place. (Gee. I wonder why.)

bradlyhale said:
Again, people should do the right thing. However, I guess I can understand when people get so frustrated that they just don't pay because it seems to me that these state-subsidized transportation companies don't really care a whole lot about selling those people tickets in the first place. (Gee. I wonder why.)

It's one thing not to pay due to extenuating circumstances. It's another to flaunt, brag about, or revel in it.

bradlyhale said:

You can't seriously think that the concerns of the company are accurately reflected by poorly paid, stressed out employees.

Train tickets in the UK are about 50 times as expensive, in absolute terms. The networks are not as efficient as some of the European ones and the tickets are not as cheap, so if you wanted to try your luck dodging your fair I'd wish you all the best, I've done it may times. However, over here many people rely on the unrealistically low train fare to get through their day with some small amount of dignity. The fare is so low that there's really no excuse not to pay it.

There's no value in doing what's right if its always the easiest thing to do. If you can't suffer standing in a 5 minute line in order to do what is correct I can only imagine how you'd respond to more significant pressures.

I recently jumped the turn bar to the public toilet because I didnt have any change and couldnt find any fast enough. ;)

steveinbsas said:
It's one thing not to pay due to extenuating circumstances. It's another to flaunt, brag about, or revel in it.

Steve, you crack me up with your moral elitism...

I'm sure that bafinance is just trying to bait you into a response and is having fun at your expense.

If you think back, can you be really sure that you haven't knowingly been a scofflaw at some time in your life?

Gringoboy said:
Careful how you get charged.
I work in Olivos and if I've got a transport problem, I go from Maipu to Tigre.
Today I bought a ticket and was asked for $16, so I said that MUST be a return, but he misunderstood me and told me a return was $32. I wanted a single.
I honestly think these blokes must think we foreigners are fucking morons. I know how they operate and if they get the slightest wiff of a foreign accent, the tourist tariff is applied. I actually had to show him my DNI to prove my residency, which did not make him a happy bunny.
Just a word of warning, that's all.

I too have almost been charged the tourist fee so now I look after the kids while my wife buys the tickets. Imagine an entire family of 5.8 being mistakenly charged the tourist price.(which I don't agree with but thats another thread).

Back