Two men found stabbed to death in Palermo

starlucia said:
Thieves broke into the home of family friends in Belgrano a few months ago...Turns out that within the span of a few months, 5 of the 9 houses on that street had also been robbed....

Which block(s) of Belgrano? Any idea why that block?

Thx,
Jim

Thanks for the info.

It seems to me that it has gotten a lot worse here, even since I've been here, around fifteen months.

Some toxic mix is brewing, and I'm not sure I want to be here when it spills over.

Does anyone think it's still worth coming to BA to enjoy the faux French architecture?

Or the food: (empanadas, pizza, and often below average beef)?

Or the culture: older men dancing with much younger women (when they get the chance)?

Or the risk of being a victim of crime (including losing you rent deposit if not a great deal worse)?

Many hundeds if not thousands of tourists/expats have come and gone without having any problems.

Those here for less than a month are only random victims, but if you'e here for a year or two the chance of being a victim of a cime incease to about 50%, based on a survey of members in this foum.

And all of us here for the past four years have been victims of theft by the governement as prices on many things have doubled...and in some cases trippled due to inflation.

HeyBA said:
Thanks for the info.

It seems to me that it has gotten a lot worse here, even since I've been here, around fifteen months.

Some toxic mix is brewing, and I'm not sure I want to be here when it spills over.
LOL. toxic mix is sure brewing! its the freaking paco that these criminals are smoking...:D you guys are going thru the paco crime epidemic, its what nyc went thru with the crack era

BROOKLYN said:
LOL. toxic mix is sure brewing! its the freaking paco that these criminals are smoking...:D you guys are going thru the paco crime epidemic, its what nyc went thru with the crack era

I remember NYC in the 1980s all too well, I was in high school. The crack smoking was out of control, more than 2000 murders per year in New York City alone, robberies, muggings, shootings, abandoned buildings, thank god it ended and to think it's only beginning here.

steveinbsas said:
Many (hundreds if not thousands) of tourists/expats have come and gone without having any problems.

You could put me under this category I suppose, minus the frequent occasions that I was groped, grabbed or otherwise sexually harassed all over Argentina. But no one really discusses such things on crime threads on this site. Even that crime poll made no mention of such crimes, and I didn't think to select "other" instead of nothing when I participated in the poll. Oh well.

I'll be back in a couple of weeks and I already have a money belt, something I never got around to using before. I don't plan to carry a purse or anything like that this time around. My luck could run out. I just want to see my boyfriend, get my background check and take care of business, and get out. It took me two months back in the U.S. before I stopped giving my purse the death grip, looking over my shoulder, jumping at the slightest noise, and going out of my way to avoid eye contact (or any contact really) with male pedestrians walking down the street. Two months to feel safe and normal again, and now I get to go stay at the charming and delightful border of Barracas and Constitución while I get my affairs in order. Obviously it is worth it but I really don't want to go back to my paranoid, life-in-Cap-Fed ways. :/

A young innocent boy just got gunned down by a self appointed vigilante in Florida. The local police are unable or refuse to properly investigate this homicide so the Federal Government is having to step in. Where do you feel safer in Argentina or the USA?

RicardoBA said:
A young innocent boy just got gunned down by a self appointed vigilante in Florida. The local police are unable or refuse to properly investigate this homicide so the Federal Government is having to step in. Where do you feel safer in Argentina or the USA?

I'm not sure what that has to do with Argentina but I feel 100% safer in the US.

In the US: I can walk down the street and imagine, use my blackberry while on the street. I can take the subway at night. Heck, I can drive from Point A to Point B by myself, at night, without worrying about someone smashing my window to grab my purse or steal my car. 10% of my friends have been victims of crimes or attempted crimes in the US vs 90% here. In the US, I didn't have guard dogs, an alarm system, video cameras walls around my property topped with barbed wire and other methods of defending myself. In the US, I don't really worry that if I'm in an accident, the police will come rob me without bothering to check if I'm okay until an hour later. In the US, I know that if something happens, the police will probably catch the criminal (or at least make an effort:rolleyes:) and that there is a judicial system in place that functions.

Heck yes, I feel a lot safer when I'm in the US. I'm hardly a rah-rah-rah patriot but there simply is not the level of insecurity there that you have here. No one walks around NYC with a death grip on their purses, scared to use their phone on the street, won't wear jewelry outside, etc.

I also feel safer in a lot of cities around the world than I do here.

You don't realize how pervasive this feeling of insecurity is until you go someplace else and see how people don't live in a state of heightened alert/paranoia all the time like here.

RicardoBA said:
At least there will be justice, even if the the fed has to step in. In AR neither the local police or the Fed will do squat and in many cases are the perpetrators of the crime. When I'm in the States I spend very little energy looking over my shoulder. I don't get paranoid at ATMs and there is no silly little guard sitting in an outhouse on my street corner. Cops don't cruise around flipping cigarette butts out the window, tossing Mickie D wrapers in the street and cat calling at my wife. The IRS doesn't come in my office and threaten me with fake audits and shutdows unless I grease the palm. And employees don't sue me for 10 years salary because they got fired for laziness, lying and stealing.
Argentina has some problems and they are not getting addressed. After all it is a third world country and it seems to revel in that status.

RicardoBA said:

This happened right near where I grew up, and the reason it's become national news is because it's such a shocking case. Yes, in the U.S., access to handguns means gun violence (this usually occurs in urban ghettoes where violence is fueled by drugs and gangs, but occasionally in the suburbs as well.) But everyone knew from the start that Florida's first-of-its-kind "Stand Your Ground" law was a timebomb waiting to go off, so this case is an exception, not the norm.

But. The frequency of random crime (both petty and violent), and the audacity/desperation of the criminals, is NOWHERE NEAR what I've seen in only a few years in BA. The level of insecurity, and the locals' acceptance of it as "the way of life," is just unfathomable to me. Businesses regularly held up at gunpoint... homes and apartments broken into with families inside... so many "insider jobs" where an invasion is assisted by a portero or security guard. Recently, in the quiet suburb where my elderly suegra lives alone, a woman shot and killed a man who had forced his way into her home (and how did he get in? He overpowered her teenage son on his walk home from the bus stop, and held a knife against his throat.) In Disco, I met a woman in her 70s who could barely walk, whose face was purple and swollen... she had been viciously beaten by the 4 young thugs who robbed her on the street. The children I know being forced to watch their father get beaten and their nanny raped. The tourist who got killed over a camera. Salideras. My partner getting held up by 4 armed teenagers last month while walking home from the bus. A friend who was robbed for his bicycle. No, these kinds of things are not regular occurrences in the U.S.; crime in Argentina is on another plane altogether (for me, constantly looking over my shoulder was just not an acceptable way of life, which is why I boogied :p)

Back