Two men found stabbed to death in Palermo

How come people don't have a way to protect their wives and kids--well, themselves (!) i.e., a firearm???!!!! It seems to me that's a basic responsibility. Maybe no money to buy one? Or what?

1) I don't think it's a much of a gun culture here.
2) As I was advised by a lawyer and a policeman - if you have a gun and you use it, you better kill the intruder. Because otherwise, if you shoot them and just wound them, they're going to sue you and win for you shooting them.

My husbands aunt, who lives in a house in Adrogue, was robbed at gunpoint by three men. She is 70 and lives by herself but they still tied her up at gunpoint and pushed her around. They stole all her money and threatned to beat and kill her if they looked though her house and found more. When they left she let the police know but they "couldn't" do much because the criminals had a key to get in. The key was from a woman that used to clean her house.
There have been protests in Adrogue because there are no police patrolling the streets and robberies have become more common.
I do look at the differences between NY (or even the US for that matter) and here. One of the big glaring differences is that the people in the US would not stand for it. They/we know what their/our rights are and being robbed/mugged by criminals or police criminals wouldn't be stood for.
I spoke with my teacher about the poor woman who was robbed by the police while she was passed out in her car and she said that she was not surprised. It isn't anything new and "it's never going to change". That attitude drives me crazy! Change isn't going to happen if everyone is complacent - they only get away with what they are allowed to get away with.

Crime is increasing all over the world because the world economy is tanking. Best for most of us to keep a low profile until things pick up. Best wishes and luck to all of those that venture outside of their homes.

arlean said:
How come people don't have a way to protect their wives and kids--well, themselves (!) i.e., a firearm???!!!! It seems to me that's a basic responsibility. Maybe no money to buy one? Or what?

Nothing to do with money just no desire to contribute to the madness of an armed world...and as a mother of a 3yr old the reality that the kids are more likely to blow their brains out with a gun hidden in the house than an adult be able to use it to any successful end in the event of a break-in.

Lee said:
The Pink House. They had an open house and you could tour the place so we decided to do it since at least that was something we had not done.

The place is a dump. I mean for being the symbol of the nation and therefore, supposedly national pride...the paint was flaking off all over the place, there was plaster falling off the walls, cracks everywhere...just a run down dump.

Sure, if we were visiting an old church or something you could expect that. BUT this is where "business" is supposedly conducted and international dignitaries are greeted.

The other highly important building in Buenos Aires, Congreso de la Nación is also in very sad condition (on the inside). Not to speak of the plaza in front, which has been converted into a homeless encampment. The outside facade is well maintained, but when I took a tour of the inside, there was tons of peeling paint, water damaged woodwork, split airconditioners mounted to the interior walls any which way with plasic drain hoses hung over doorknobs, and the lady who gave us a tour, had her hair in curlers, (covered with a head kercheif) and wore flip flops. Some of the chandeliers had multiple burnt out light bulbs, dripping water from the celing into plastic pails in several places, broken glass on the interior windows, some covered with tape and cardboard, and in the lower level a really musty wet smell. It was disgraceful.

Whether or not this is my reality, I have to stop reading these threads. I'm always fine until I run across one of these, click on it, and wait as blood starts draining from my face. If I have to suffer, fine, it will happen, but reading all this is not going to prevent it or help me in any way. If I go through my posts I'm sure I've posted as well, adding to the drama of one of these threads, but I really just have to be stronger than the left-click.

I think it may help to put some number to this. This map http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Homicide-world.png shows homicide rates per 100,000 inhabitants per year. So, it is true if you are from Wisconsin you should feel safer in Madison than in BA but if you are from Texas (or California) think twice.

Of course, this is not to say that crime seems to be increasing in Buenos Aires and it is not longer the safe city it is used to be three decades ago.

Who believes the statistics anyway? When we had an armed robbery, the police said they would call us to come down to the comisaria and make a signed statement. They never bothered. Waste of. How many of those crimes expats have reported on these pages went further than our ears?
In UK, a police artist would have come round and made an artist's impression of the guy who robbed us. It would have been on the news, maybe featured in a programme like Crimewatch. He may even have been caught by now, at the very least, the neighbourhood would have been warned.

Back