Typical Street Scene - Photo I Took Today

katti said:
I wouldn't worry too much, the fact that your son hid it in the drawer means he knows it is not a 'normal', 'bikini-ad' photo. Kids are atracted to things that are 'forbidden' or 'bad'. That does not mean they aprove or think its normal.

Unfortunately you can't protect them from this, only educate them how to handle it.

I was especially worried about MTV when we were still living in Europe : Did you notice the really 'sexy' ladies dancing almost naked in the hip/hop - rap clips??? The camera always focussing on 'the right spots'? For some reason, when my son was little, he was a real hip hop fan... :eek:

Thanks for your insight Katti. I just wished I had to deal with this in his teens (normal age) and not at 7.

And about those MTV shows.. I know... sad. So sad. It does send an ugly message.

I went to a Fiesta de 15 a couple weeks ago. The birthday girl just adores that Silvina Escudero dancer... One of the party´s highlights was when she did a little number where guys (dad, half brother, classmates) stood next to her while she performed some "caño/pole dancing moves"... sooo uncomfortable to watch.

The quote "will anyone think of the children" , originally from The Simpsons, is used as a excuse to get into individual liberties with the excuse of making everything kid safe, as a excuse to ban or forbid whatever doesn't match their set of values.

About "“well, as long as no one bothers me, I don’t give a damn about everyone else”", I totally agree on. I'm not trying to force my values on others, but I wont accept nobody to try force THEIRS on me by forbidding or affecting my access to whatever, because they don't want to explain their kids the facts of life. And yes, that includes those Shemales with their thingies hanging.

Otherwise I can recommend you take your kids to the streets using a blindfold so you can avoid explaining everything until you are ready.

Thanks for the remark clarification.

Anyway, it is useless to continue. You are just judging me wrongly. It is not about not wanting to explain things.
I address every single issue that comes up - I am not the kind of person to avoid touchy subjects.
We take the same bus route regardless of the time of day, they sit on the right side of the bus on purpose just to take a closer look to the travestis, and I have explained that they are men with fake boobs getting paid to spend some time with clients. They just find it funny.

I just would like more civilized city and a more respectful environment for all. Children are in their formative years - and together with the eldest and other minorities- need to be somewhat protected and guarded by the rest of society. At least in my view.

I agree that children need to be protected, but not by limiting the freedom and rights of the rest. So when I read about banning or forbidding stuff, red alarm lights start to light up. We've already been through that during the military governments era.

I never meant to imply that you didn't want to explain things, perhaps you cant, or think its too early. But the world won't change to fit your needs, its just what it is.

I still think that banning things is not the way to handle the issue. What's civilized and respectful varies from person to person, and from culture to culture, so you have to be careful before assuming that everyone will share your set of values.

My impression was that children handle that stuff pretty well. IMHO its just bollocks to think that a pair of naked boobs corrupts one's morale. It is role models that does. Corruption, people who get away with crimes, narzism, egoism, etc.
Nevertheless, I found some things irritating as well. Like all the travestis in television and on the streets (once my colectivo, when passing through constitucion, took another road and there where quite some inapropriately dressed travesti, at 6PM, with normal women with children passing by). But still, I don't think that this actually harms anybody. Of course I assume that parents in Argentina have to answer certain questions sooner than in other countries.

I guess you will understand when you have your own children.
[/quote]

Couldnt agree more but maybe with attitudes like this he should be neutred for the sake of the future generation (joke Guilli:)). Guillo I agree with your point re the unpleasantness of a nanny state dictating how we should and shouldnt live..but there has to be a happy medium between that and complete permissiveness...otherwise, what about some live scenes of bestiality and pedophilia in Parque Palermo anyone..after all it`s not our job to tell people how to live??
I think it`s really interesting to hear native expats opinion since she is talking aout the "evolution of society" over the last decade with the viewpont of someone who has lived abroad. Overall this is a futile argument I guess...all we can do as parents is be consistent and positive role models so ourchildren grow up with as much distaste for the less pleasant elements of society as we do.

I don't need to be neutered, I'm not interested in having kids (I actually hate children, specially when they invade my space and the parents are too busy to care or make them behave). Sometimes I doubt I've ever been one :)

but there has to be a happy medium between that and complete permissiveness...
otherwise, what about some live scenes of bestiality and pedophilia in Parque Palermo anyone..after all it`s not our job to tell people how to live??
There's quite a distance from bestiality and pedophilia (both physically affecting the victims) and a set of jugs in a magazine or a naked butt on TV.

I think it`s really interesting to hear native expats opinion since she is talking aout the "evolution of society" over the last decade with the viewpont of someone who has lived abroad.
Well, things changed a lot everywhere in the last decade, doesn't matter if you lived abroad or not. Societies evolve, and it doesn't matter how much you like "the old ways", they are gone and there's nothing you can do about it.

Overall this is a futile argument I guess...all we can do as parents is be consistent and positive role models so our children grow up with as much distaste for the less pleasant elements of society as we do.
I agree with that.... as long as you don't try to force those values on me.

Seems like it's much easier (for a lot or parents, not pointing any fingers) to try to force the whole society into becoming a kindergarten than taking responsibility for the education of their own kids.

Guillo said:
I don't need to be neutered, I'm not interested in having kids (I actually hate children, specially when they invade my space and the parents are too busy to care or make them behave). Sometimes I doubt I've ever been one :)

Your feelings are easy to understand Guillo - even as a parent there are days I could run and hide but - without wanting to sound patronising and doing it anyhow - I`ll say that having lived a very full and exciting life, having kids brought me unimagineable joy and completeness. Moreover being in such a child friendly environment like Argentina has made it even more special. I suggest you might like living in the Northern European countries, where children are treated with due contempt..Ive heard they even eat them in Germany, which may be more to your taste:)

I`ll say that having lived a very full and exciting life, having kids brought me unimagineable joy and completeness.
Congratulations, I heard a lot of people say similar things. But I wont accept to kid proof my society :)

Moreover being in such a child friendly environment like Argentina has made it even more special. I suggest you might like living in the Northern European countries, where children are treated with due contempt..

Well, at least for me, bringing children to adult spaces and forcing the rest of the people there to deal with them shows a total disregard for the rest of the society. I'm perfectly fine with you being joyful and complete, now mind your kid, keep him close, still and silent, and then we can have a peaceful coexistence.

fifs2 said:
Ive heard they even eat them in Germany, which may be more to your taste:)

What's wrong with that, Kinders are really tasteful :p (es ist ein Wortspiel)

Back