Typical Street Scene - Photo I Took Today

citygirl said:
I think for me the issue is that you only see pics of women, not of men. So right or wrong, kids from a young age are being exposed to the concept of women as commodities. And yes, I believe that does affect kids and perpetuate sexism. It has nothing to do with being a prude for me nor do I believe that seeing a naked body is shocking. But if kids see are only women half-naked and as soon as they are old enough to read, realize they're advertising their services, how does it not colour perception of women? Now if men and women were equally represented - that issue goes away.

Isn't this just an indication of reality? In the sex industry people, men or women, are commodities. The prevalence of the photos of women vs those of men just represents the huge discrepancy in the size of the respective markets.

Consequently my reductio ad absurdum is if you want to do your part in changing this, perhaps you should be calling on some gigolos ;)

Reactions: Joe
perry said:
I do not believe though that prostitution and the selling of prostitution is something wonderful and aspires to creates a healthy society .

Prostitution is a huge problem in Argentina and many workers in Buenos Aires are effectively sex slaves .

I don´t think you quite understood my post. I in no way advocated that prostitution makes a society wonderful. You might want to read it again. Prostitution is a terrible problem everywhere. There are many people all over the world that are in this type of work out of fear.

Specifically the reaction that things are more vulgar and people are more obsessed, I find to be without much foundation. These things have always been this way. For good or, for bad. Argentina has also always been obsessed with these images like much of the world. Furthermore, you aren´t going to combat this kind of thing complaining about how vulgar the times are. It is what it is. To do something about it, you first have to acknowledge the way it exists. Denying is not acknowledgment. Complaining that there is a they behind this problem making us see these images is also not acknowledgment. Humor does actually acknowledge the way things are.

I want to add that I would bet that the people joking around on this thread are probably the ones that actually take a stand against the sexual mistreatment of others rather than just complain about what they see in society.

I have to believe that a lot of these posts about vulgarity are based on puritan ideals that sex is immoral and sinful. American society has a lot of puritanism in its history. Because of the power of American media, movies, music, etc. the cultural imperialism of Yankee puritanism is being perpetuated on most cultures with access to TVs throughout the world.

Cultures who formerly had a non-guilt based concept of sex have over the last fifty years of being bombarded with the subliminal messages from Yankee cultural imperialism have learned to develop a guilt based view of sexuality.

Hence the view that images of buttocks or breasts are vulgar.

As I am a Yankee, I apologize for the harm Yankee cultural imperialism has imposed on the world.

fifs2 said:
Funny guy...I feel I like you....wanna make babies with me??:D

Ew!, that's so gross
(yes, I'm gayer than Christmas, the idea gives me the creeps lol)

If I am waiting around somewhere and there are a bunch of those things around I just rip them all off to pass the time, lol! I've seen a couple of other people do the same - one of them kind of angrily, another kind of like me, she looked like she was just waiting around for someone but then she started to pick all the thingies off the post she was next to.

Most people just watch and I guess think it's kind of strange. One young guy once asked me why I was taking them off (he seemed almost annoyed) - I didn't really know what to say, except, "isn't it obvious"? He didn't know what I was talking about, to which I wasn't sure whether to laugh or what.

Another time I was waiting somewhere and a guy came and started sticking them up right near where I was and I just asked him nicely (and a little bit melodramatically) if he could not do it right there in my face, and he was very nice about it and moved on to doing it somewhere else. :)

I have a hard enough time explaining to my wife why I watch Fashion TV when I am in Argentina.

I cannot imagine explaining ads for prostitutes to a 7 year old.

Although this is still common, I have noticed it much less in the time I have been here (almost two years). I now see people removing them... I like to think of these people as an army of filth cleaners. I see the sex on show here isn't that much worse then the UK. It's horrible global trend but sadly it is here to stay so we should get used to it.

Back