Uber Banned

That's a good question. The point of using Uber is having more security by paying with a card but those with local bank accounts in Argentina can't pay with a card and must rely on cash.

As far as better drivers, I'm not so sure. I've had bad Uber drivers as well as taxi drivers. One Uber driver was completely drunk. Plus, they don't have passenger insurance so if something happens you're not covered. Nor are they required to have a professional driver's license, which means you must know where all the hospitals and ERs in the city are.
Did you file a complaint about the drunk Uber driver? How easy would it be to file a complaint against a drunk taxi driver here and expect appropriate action? What solution would occur when filling a complaint against an Uber driver vs Taxi driver? One is a system that iterates and improves by weeding out the bad apples, the other is a static model that allows the bad apples to continue existing. I know which one I prefer... Passenger insurance - I don't need passenger insurance when I have my own health insurance that would cover me in and in Argentinas case free healthcare? What are the chances of needing a hospital or ER while riding in a taxi/Uber? If it was required I'm pretty sure the driver and yourself could work it out depending on the situation. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion - I just struggle to see how one can say taxis here offer a better service than Uber.

Did you mention the dunk Uber driver to Uber. What was their response.

I'm in an Uber right now and the car is nicer and more spacious than 99% of taxis. Good music (instead of the endless talk radio). Totallly professional driver. Same as the majority of my Uber experiences.

What is the status of Uber? Has it , in fact, been banned or is it still operating?

Did you mention the dunk Uber driver to Uber. What was their response.

I'm in an Uber right now and the car is nicer and more spacious than 99% of taxis. Good music (instead of the endless talk radio). Totallly professional driver. Same as the majority of my Uber experiences.

My Argentine friend is the one who called Uber and she did report it but she commented seeing how we were in Argentina that nothing would come of the complaint.

What would be the point then? The genius of uber is it lets people earn money more or less on demand. Here in Buenos Aires I'd say less than half the drivers I've met do it full time, most have other jobs which they supplement for extra cash or they're doing it temporarily because they're between jobs.

Right on queue - get a taxi from Aeroparque to Hotel in Recoleta... I am keeping an eye on the meter every few seconds because I know what these bastards are like... 2 minutes before I arrive its ~180 pesos.. The guy was talking to me and knew I was a foreigner with small chat - seemed nice but crazy (smoking at the start, spitting out the window and had weird ticks - maybe drug habit). He asked me when I was last in Buenos Aires or if I am here a lot (I now realise this question was a setup to see if he could rip me off with prices). When we arrive I go to pay and see suddenly the meter is showing 396... I of course question him and ask why the fuck it changed - he goes off about inflation ballalala... I get quite angry at this point and raise my voice and tell him he is a disgrace and trying to rob me.. He goes nooo I don't understand its the prices that have gone up..

I feel like punching his thief head in after he tells me to calm down (acting like I am in the wrong). I asked for a receipt and he said he didn't have any (no shit sherlock). I give him 200 and take my bags. I should have taken a picture of him and his number plate but didn't because by that point I was very angry and not thinking clearly. Anyway - goes to show again why I hate the taxis in BA and support Uber. This should be a lesson to everyone including friends that visit this place to be very careful and ALWAYS watch the meter if you have no choice but to use a taxi (they put the front seat in front of it so you can't see it - I had to nearly have my head out the window to be able to see it from the back seat).

As a follow up if I got the police involved would much happen? If I did get his number plate and photo would the taxi union do anything? Probably not?

BTW I am now going to speak English and act like a dumb tourist every time I take a taxi in BA. If a driver tries to rip me off I will first inform him that he is a piece of shit and then take his photo/number plate and post it here. I will also only pay the 'correct' fare that the meter displayed before he fucked with it (tempting not pay anything and walk off but then he could turn it around and act like I am the bad guy if police got involved).

I should also add since this is a topic about Uber that this is another perfect example of why Uber exists... It provides a platform to weed out the bad apples because they control the platform. The current taxi model here is outdated and allows thieves to operate without fear of repercussions. There is no 'trail' of exactly the journey you took so any problems can become a word against word. In the majority of developed countries these problems don't exist because the people that operate there have a higher moral standard than ripping off tourists who don't know better. The argument that taxi licenses provide any form of security or higher quality service can again be laughed out. There is no quality control of the condition of cars or drivers - you pay the money you get the license. Don't give me any bullshit about how they are 'experts' and can find a hospital if you happen to have a heart attack in the back.

Used Uber yesterday from city to AEP.. Worked great and price cheap compared to dirty rip off taxis.

Back