Unconventional Meat Cuts

Yep, don't trust those butchers method of preserving necessary hygiene for their machines. Who knows if even gets washed daily
using necessary desinfectant liquid,soap water etc. So I have always sliced my own meats to prepare the Carpaccio or Sukiyaki/Shabu Shabu meats slicing with this autmatic slicing machine.It wasn't cheap but intend to use it forever..Last 10 years or so, lots of slicing on that machine!

273387_topaz195.jpg
What about the slicing machines used by the Chino to slice the Mortadela?? or ham and coldcuts , is there a danger if not cleaned ?? plus they use the same machine for cheese..? :cool:

What about the slicing machines used by the Chino to slice the Mortadela?? or ham and coldcuts , is there a danger if not cleaned ?? plus they use the same machine for cheese..? :cool:
Mortadela,Ham,Roasted beef,Cheese, they are already cooked or aged...The raw meat...incubator for salmonella and it will kill you!

Serafina - this is the specialty meat store mentioned before : http://www.delicateses.com.ar/

As far as the ribs for your second dish, aren't those the ones that come in the pechito de cerdo? Whenever I want to make a rack of BBQ ribs I get a pechito de cerdo sin manta and marinade/slather with sauce and cook it wrapped in tin foil. It is the closes I have been able to come to american style ribs in my kitchen. Maybe the butcher can get the pechito split into each rib for you? As long as you buy the whole rack or half or however much they are ok with selling, they shouldn't have a problem doing it... Assuming this cut works for your dish, of course.

As far as tartare and carpaccio go, I would never trust any meat cut here for them, and I am from this country and used to our subpar standards when it comes to produce handling. :\ ALTHOUGH, a butcher from a big chain/fancy store MAY be more trustworthy. Definitely not a barrio one, tho. Another idea may be to find a kosher butcher (there are a lot in my area in Almagro), their surfaces here are always spotless, and, from my VERY LIMITED understanding of the kosher process, it does require a lot of attention to what comes in contact with the surfaces and utensils, and keeping them clean is very important.

Serafina - this is the specialty meat store mentioned before : http://www.delicateses.com.ar/

As far as the ribs for your second dish, aren't those the ones that come in the pechito de cerdo? Whenever I want to make a rack of BBQ ribs I get a pechito de cerdo sin manta and marinade/slather with sauce and cook it wrapped in tin foil. It is the closes I have been able to come to american style ribs in my kitchen. Maybe the butcher can get the pechito split into each rib for you? As long as you buy the whole rack or half or however much they are ok with selling, they shouldn't have a problem doing it... Assuming this cut works for your dish, of course.

Yes, the pechito is what that butcher showed me, but he refused to cut out 6 out of it. Judging from distance, 6 ribsa would have been about half the rack.

Anyone know where i can get a sheep's pluck (heart, liver and lungs)? I've seen heart and liver offered in places but they never have it when i phone and don't offer to get it.

Yes, the pechito is what that butcher showed me, but he refused to cut out 6 out of it. Judging from distance, 6 ribsa would have been about half the rack.

:| Dang. Is getting the whole thing and just freezing half an option? Going to be annoying because the ribs near the "tip" are shorter, so you probably would not be able to get a full meal out of them.

BTW - can I have the recipe for the rib dish? :x

:| Dang. Is getting the whole thing and just freezing half an option? Going to be annoying because the ribs near the "tip" are shorter, so you probably would not be able to get a full meal out of them.

BTW - can I have the recipe for the rib dish? :x

You are the first Argentine who is interested in meats which is not cooked on the grill! I think we might become good friends!

For the rib dish 'Costine di maiale in padella' (for 4 guests):
  • 1 kg of pork ribs (single ribs)
  • EVO
  • Garlic (to taste, some use 1 peeled wedge, others use 5-6 unpeeled wedges)
  • 1/2 glass of white wine (facultative)
  • Rosemary
  • Salt & Pepper

In a saucepan, put the EVO and the garlic, let the EVO absorb the garlic flavor and when the oil is very hot add the pork ribs on a medium-high flame, so that they roast on the outside - turn the ribs so that the skin will cook uniformly, this will prevent the meat juices from flowing out during cooking.
Then, add the wine (if you want to) and the rosemary. Wait for the wine to evaporate, then add salt and pepper, half a glass of water, lower the flame to a minimum and cook covered for 45' or until done. Turn the ribs halfway during cooking.

The ribs are done when you touch them with the tip of a knife and no blood is coming out, and you notice the skin is no longer stuck to the bone.
Buen provecho!

BTW, I still need help - I need to buy marsala (a very aged wine), where can I find it? I have a delicious recipe with meat and marsala. You bring the marsala, you'll be my guest!

Augh, this forum. Ate my post. Anyways...

That sounds seriously delicious. I am getting pechito this Friday and trying this recipe (if i can find some fresh rosemary...). I love all kinds of cooking techniques and love trying out new recipes!

I actually happen to have half a bottle of the marsala I bought for my first attempt at tiramisu for a friend's bachelor party.

I got it from Coto. My very small Coto had about 4 choices, but since I had never cooked with marsala before, I had no point of comparison and just picked the second in terms of price. :x A bigger store may hopefully have a bigger selection.

Back