Unlocked Cell Phone Help

kds1505

Registered
I've seen threads re: cell phones in BA, but mostly about getting pre-paid rentals or bringing unlocked phones and getting a SIM card here. Does anyone know where I can pick up an unlocked (liberado) quad-band GSM cell in BsAs? I've looked up and down Santa Fe and Florida with no success. Any other ideas or specific places to check out? Any help appreciated.

You can unlock any phone. So get yourself any GSM phone and pay $24 USD to have it unlocked online.

soul said:
You can unlock any phone. So get yourself any GSM phone and pay $24 USD to have it unlocked online.

how can i get my cell phone unlocked online? i have a cell from the U.S. and would like to get a local chip to have service here.

xoxo

kds1505 said:
I've seen threads re: cell phones in BA, but mostly about getting pre-paid rentals or bringing unlocked phones and getting a SIM card here. Does anyone know where I can pick up an unlocked (liberado) quad-band GSM cell in BsAs? I've looked up and down Santa Fe and Florida with no success. Any other ideas or specific places to check out? Any help appreciated.

Many of the big shops, like Garbarino, Compumundo, Fravega, etc. sell unlocked cell phones. Just go to their cell phone sections and look for the "libre" selections. You can also tell by their full ticket price.

Also, Personal, Claro, and Movistar should have a selection of unlocked phones for sale at their shops and web site.

Kellie Krave said:
how can i get my cell phone unlocked online? i have a cell from the U.S. and would like to get a local chip to have service here.

xoxo

I'd recommend you Google "<your cell brand and model> unlock" and see what comes up. You might find instructions on how to do it yourself, but this may not be available for all brands/models.

Here in BA, there are some small cell phone shops that may also be able to unlock it for you. Expect to pay anywhere from $30 pesos to $300+ (depending on how dificult, and the brand/model). A friend got charged $30 for an old Nokia, while another friend got quoted USD $110 to unlock his iPhone (which he ended up doing for free at home).

Alternatively, if your US phone contract is over you might want to call your service provider back in the US as they sometimes can unlock it for you or give you the unlock code and instructions to do it yourself.

Good luck.

LivingLargeBA said:
Many of the big shops, like Garbarino, Compumundo, Fravega, etc. sell unlocked cell phones. Just go to their cell phone sections and look for the "libre" selections. You can also tell by their full ticket price.

Also, Personal, Claro, and Movistar should have a selection of unlocked phones for sale at their shops and web site.

Thanks for the info. I should have added in my original post that I was looking for used phones but apparently I left out that bit of info.

If anyone is interested, I checked the selection at Fravega today; they have 2 or 3 quad bands ranging from 500-1300 pesos. They are actually far cheaper and better in the States (i.e. Amazon/Ebay) so I'd recommend picking them up before coming to BA or just going with the manual unlocking route described above.

I've heard it's a bit risky to unlock a phone manually. Any truth to that? I've got a razr that I would love to unlock before getting to ba.

the only risk is "attempting" to unlock the phone up to, about, 10 times unsuccessfully -- at that point, you run the risk of having your phone permanently locked. but it's pretty easy as long as you put in the proper IMEI number with the assigned (what you pay for) code. and that's it! good luck.

For future searchers: you can find unlocked used (or new) cell phones at the "mall" on Santa Fe between Ecuador and Anchorena: Santa Fe 2653.

Back