Unlocking iPhones?

NOLAchef

Registered
Hi!

I have an Iphone from the states that I would to unlock to set up phone service here with Personal.

How can I unlock the phone?! I don't want to jailbreak it. Does Mac provide this service? Can I do it myself, easily? I assume Personal wont/can't do it...? Anybody know how much this cost?!

THANKS

NOLAchef said:
Hi!

I have an Iphone from the states that I would to unlock to set up phone service here with Personal.

How can I unlock the phone?! I don't want to jailbreak it. Does Mac provide this service? Can I do it myself, easily? I assume Personal wont/can't do it...? Anybody know how much this cost?!

THANKS

Your question is missing many details that would be necessary to answer the question. To wit:

- The model of the phone (3GS, 4, or 4S);
- The carrier you bought it from or activated it on; and
- When did you buy it.

Whether the phone can be unlocked or not (without jailbreaking) would depend on the above.

Hi, as Ben has mentioned, it's important to know the details of your iphone in order to take the next step...but I can confirm to you that it is possible to unlock an iPhone 4 permanently..as in factory unlocked. No Jailbreak necessary.

I just got mine unlocked. It came with IOS 5.0.1 Baseband 4.08.11 but it cost me £86 to do so. This is expensive but it could be the best option when you have tried everything else. My particular iphone's base band meant that it could not be unlocked any other way. Now I can put any sim card into it.
PM me if you would like me to pass you the details.

NOLAchef said:
Hi!

THANKS

It's a 4 from Verizon that is about 2 years old! Thanks for the help!!

I'm not a technical person but I just went through the same process as you.
My 2 year old Verizon Iphone4 could not be converted for use in BsAs because the technology it uses is not compatible with GSM that is used here. (I posted a query on this subject and got some replies explaining this in detail, you can search for them if you're interested in the details).
New Iphones are very expensive here so I have been shopping for unlocked Iphones on Amazon where new Iphone3's are as low as $225 + shipping to Argentina.
Refurbished and used Iphone3's are less $. Ebay also had some Iphones for sale.
Hope this helps.

Back