Unregistered SUBE cards face higher transportation costs

Never mind registration, today neither of our local railway stations were accepting payments to top up Sube cards. I suspect that the systems can't handle the higher value fares and credits (last time I added AR$2K and the payment had to be loaded in two tranches) but I wasn't previously aware that the systems would need downtime to do that.
48 hours later the Sube top up at our station is still closed. Has anybody anywhere been able to top up over the past 48-72hrs?

What would even be a reason to implement something like this?
Maybe in the future they want to make targeted subsidies. It could be also used for better statistics, and therefore planning.. Argentina made some surprising improvements in some fields in the past using technology, I wouldn't discard it as stupidity or control immediately.

You can track statistics with the card number id, you don't need a name.

When I visit https://www.argentina.gob.ar/sube and then click Registrala, there is question mark ❓next to the DNI row. There they have links to contact them via social media, if you still don't have a DNI. So it sounds like it could be possible as a foreigner:

"Para crear tu cuenta es necesario contar con el DNI vigente. Si aún no lo tenés, escribinos por Instagram / Facebook / Twitter o WhatsApp para que podamos ayudarte"

Just confirming this actually works: You can register your card with your passport via their sube whatsapp account.

Click anywhere on the article in Spanish to open the menu. Next click on Translate to English.
1 February 2024 by Juan Cruz Nieva
....What the Government plans is that the value of the minimum bus fare, which today is around $76 in the metropolitan area of Buenos Aires (AMBA), will cost $270, which would imply an increase of 255%. The same happens with the value of the train ticket, which today is around $63 and could increase to $130 - that is, double - for shorter distance journeys. The increase will be greater for those users who do not have the SUBE registered, where the increase in the bus ticket would be 465%. On the other hand, the value of the subway fare would go from $15 to $125, as announced by the Government....

FYI: As I posted in January, persons with unregistered Sube cards have until April 1st to register them.

48 hours later the Sube top up at our station is still closed. Has anybody anywhere been able to top up over the past 48-72hrs?
I've only been able to top-up at kioscos, the stations don't seem to be charging right now.

Also, I was able to register my Sube in about 5 minutes at the Comuna 2 office in Recoleta Urban Mall, with a previously scheduled appointment. I had terrible luck with the online systems for registration.

I've only been able to top-up at kioscos, the stations don't seem to be charging right now.

Also, I was able to register my Sube in about 5 minutes at the Comuna 2 office in Recoleta Urban Mall, with a previously scheduled appointment. I had terrible luck with the online systems for registration.
I went by this small office today without an appointment and was in and out in about 5 minutes with a registered sube card. Remember it is on the 4th floor and not the third.

wow, ridiculous, now we have to register it or pay higher, why is that? I assume we have to put it in our names too? I find this to be an invasion of privacy. I am surprised they are doing this, especially under this government.
I never miss the opportunity to NOT register given the chance even if it is more expensive, as i value my privacy above all.

Back