Updated COVID restrictions on circulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad to know, you are not a part of the police here.

Did you consider returning to your "police state" country.
If I was personally afraid of getting COVID, I would as my home country - consistently ranked as one of the most free, democratic, safe and transparent countries in the world - essentially has no COVID and only has COVID deaths in double digits. But just because I’m not afraid doesn’t mean others in this community feel the same way.

While I am part of Argentine society, or any society, I will do my best to be considerate of others and not behave in anti-social and an excessively individualistic manner if it means keeping others safe. It’s just the right thing to do. But at the end I can’t do it on my own. Having a policeman simply say “hey, put your mask on properly” isn’t too much to ask in any civilized society.

(Btw I think I’m on the record around here as being one of the most vocal critics of this presidents 2020 lockdowns and “police state” tactics - and not on the record showering praise on this dear leader - so not sure where your personal attack is coming from)

Last edited:

Tomorrow the national government will publish a Decree of Necessity and Urgency that will severely restrict nighttime circulation and limit social gatherings. In the midst of frantic meetings and calls with governors, the decision was made after the publication of an alarming data: today the record of coronavirus infections was widely exceeded, with 20,870 cases nationwide.
the Government was determined to take a measure of national scope that sets total restrictions on night-time traffic in those districts that are in "red" because they have critical health indicators.
They must define if it is from 22 or from midnight. They also discussed the need for limit social encounters. It is not ruled out that there are definitions before Friday, when the current DNU expires.

The meeting took place in a context of strong tension. Axel Kicillof's administration claims take harsher definitions for at least two weeks, while Horacio Rodríguez Larreta's management shows reluctance to add restrictions that affect private activity and imply limiting freedoms.

There is no definitive right or wrong answer or solution for the current situation.

Have 3 teachers among my FIL. They live in LdZ, PBA. They were understandably reluctant to go back to school for safety reasons and well aware of the unruliness of parents. But they also had a terrible time inventing and trying to perfect online schooling without guidance and using their own private resources. It was not easy.

Been in the area -LdZ) a few times taking good care not to be approched by anyone. The use of mouth covers is scarce to say the least. The dumbfucks couldn't care less. They outnumber the worried 3 to one, at least.

Also lost a lifetime friend to Covid, he struggled for two monthd in ICU trying to breath.
He was a priest, the kind that went to the shantytowns and cared for all kinds of people. He had a heart of gold like i've never seen before. Died at 61YO. We met when we were 5YO at kindergarden.

Seeing the lack of respect and smarts of the ones not taking care of themselves and not taking care of the rest of us makes me very very angry.

We haven't chose this but there's no other option than to fix it or survive it together.

Pass in front of ANY school and you'll see parents acting stupid and passing it down to their ignorant children. Monkey sees, monkey does at its worse.

Maybe we're headed towards a Caves of Steel society.

The young are more avid and used to spent hours glued to screens instead of using their imaginations or reading books and manufacturing their own universes.

Maybe this is the first step into the future.
Who knows?

We are all part of this particular ignorant society. Do not expect poorly educated and trained police to behave like their better counterparts of the first world. They are plainly ignorant and most just want a salary that demands little or no brain efforts.

The crooked politicians didn't come on a flying saucer. They are a byproduct of our society.

Those are the ones leading us. What do you expect? What are you doing about it?

Iz

Thanks for the quote, as I expected, they can't establish where the infections occur, but it must be a very small number, "quedáte tranquilo" in the best Argentinian style.

All 4 of the adults I know who contracted COVID in the past month have kids, or are in regular contact with kids, and 3 of them contracted COVID from kids.
News flash - the majority of adults have children and are in regular contact with kids. Did all 4 adults die?

I think the people who still haven't accepted the fact that we will have to learn to live with the virus are extremely delusional. There is no end in sight - taking into account slow vaccine rollout + mutations. Argentina is land locked with very relaxed land borders - it is not Australia who can literally control everything and everyone who comes in. So my question for all the 'lockdown Larrys' who are for more lockdowns and school/business closures is how long do they believe is acceptable? It's already been 1 year, add this year since there is no chance of it going away = 2 years minimum. By that time you will have 70% poverty, kids that can't put their shoes on and a generation of children who are scared of their own shadow and mentally scarred. Sounds great - as long as the rich kids can wake up at 11am and play in their swimming pool all day lol...

I think the people who still haven't accepted the fact that we will have to learn to live with the virus are extremely delusional. There is no end in sight - taking into account slow vaccine rollout + mutations. Argentina is land locked with very relaxed land borders - it is not Australia who can literally control everything and everyone who comes in. So my question for all the 'lockdown Larrys' who are for more lockdowns and school/business closures is how long do they believe is acceptable? It's already been 1 year, add this year since there is no chance of it going away = 2 years minimum. By that time you will have 70% poverty, kids that can't put their shoes on and a generation of children who are scared of their own shadow and mentally scarred. Sounds great - as long as the rich kids can wake up at 11am and play in their swimming pool all day lol...
I don’t think it’s a case of needing full lockdowns or closing schools at all. It’s simply managing the numbers so health care systems don’t get overwhelmed by targeting things that make enough of a dent in the numbers - there is no saving everybody. Ultimately he who wants to enjoy the risks made by others to keep society functional needs to accept the some risk themself - a bus driver, a grocer, a doctor, a teacher, a hairdresser - everyone.

Take a look at Brazil right now - imagine if that was the new daily reality for the rest of our lives. Society would be a very grim place even without lockdowns due to speed of contagion and thus number of people who get seriously ill as a result (even if only a tiny % of the total) Had a heart attack? Too bad, hospital is full and can’t help. Need to get a deal closed? Too bad, half the office is sick at home.

However if we look at some countries who have been successful with vaccinations and now are seeing the rewards like Israel we see that “normality” is again possible. COVID is and will be still a thing but as long as it is manageable, no one needs to worry about it affecting their day to day. We just need to get to that point.

I don’t think it’s a case of needing full lockdowns or closing schools at all. It’s simply managing the numbers so health care systems don’t get overwhelmed by targeting things that make enough of a dent in the numbers - there is no saving everybody. Ultimately he who wants to enjoy the risks made by others to keep society functional needs to accept the some risk themself - a bus driver, a grocer, a doctor, a teacher, a hairdresser - everyone.

Take a look at Brazil right now - imagine if that was the new daily reality for the rest of our lives. Society would be a very grim place even without lockdowns due to speed of contagion and thus number of people who get seriously ill as a result (even if only a tiny % of the total) Had a heart attack? Too bad, hospital is full and can’t help. Need to get a deal closed? Too bad, half the office is sick at home.

However if we look at some countries who have been successful with vaccinations and now are seeing the rewards like Israel we see that “normality” is again possible. COVID is and will be still a thing but as long as it is manageable, no one needs to worry about it affecting their day to day. We just need to get to that point.
I completely agree - the problem is we are not Israel and neither is Brazil. We are dealing with a different beast - Argentina and Brazil are both developing countries with terrible infrastructure and large populations (Brazil primarily). Both experience high rates of poverty which is what this virus attacks the most - the people with the least are the ones who suffer the most. It's just reality - unfortunately there is no good answers but the lesser of two evils.

Argentina and Brazil will never organise proper vaccine supply or present a health care system that is sufficient - not happening no matter how much we wish for. I agree with you that they should definitely use hospital occupancy rates as one of the main drivers of policy - where I live things have not changed much in that regard and so far there have been no overcapacity issues. I also found out that all the teachers at the school are vaccinated with at least one dose of Sputnik. What doesn't make sense to me is why the younger 20-30 year olds in hospitals received 2 doses and the 60-70 year olds in schools received only one.. Would make sense to be the other way around given the risk profile of the virus.

The global middle class shrank last year for the first time since the 1990s, with about 150 million people slipping down the economic ladder.

The rich stay rich OR get richer - the middle class gets poorer and the poor stay poor (financially). The middle class and poor are also the ones who will experience the worst effects of the lockdowns due to social issues (domestic violence/abuse, lack of education, poorer living standards etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back