US Aid to Haiti

I saw a graffiti that said:

"Yankee go home - and take me with you"

I think that's closer to the truth. The US has very strict immigration quotas because so many people from all over the world want to move there.

Guess they must all be masochists.

orwellian said:
That's because you're freaking blind. If not you would have seen the graffiti that says "yankee go home" everywhere.

Ernest said:
Our manufacturing companies out source to Haiti and this causes them to be poor...I suppose that is true because our companies go there and FORCE them to leave their otherwise lucrative activities and work at low wages...can you spell MORON?

Oh dear we seem to have a classic case of American self-delusion. You seem blissfully unaware of the harm the USA does.

And it is more a case of American companies moving production to a country, knowing that there is very high unemployment and appalling employment law, and abusing their power. Employment conditions are squalid. Of course these people aren´t forced to work but what else can they do? Starve and die? They are economic slaves.

Going back to the original topic, I must say that whether you like it or not, whether you like the US or not, the deployment. logistics and responsiveness they provided is overwhelming, those hospital ships, for example, are simply amazing. These things are what countries should spend their money on really, not fighting wars and buying weapons... dream on, right?

SaraSara said:
I saw a graffiti that said:

"Yankee go home - and take me with you"

I think that's closer to the truth. The US has very strict immigration quotas because so many people from all over the world want to move there.

Guess they must all be masochists.

Yes of course you have the people who dream of going to America as well. You'll find that in any country. But a lot of people here hate your guts. That is a fact regardless if you see it or not.

And a lot of people are trying to get to Europe too, especially Argentines.

Our manufacturing companies out source to Haiti and this causes them to be poor...I suppose that is true because our companies go there and FORCE them to leave their otherwise lucrative activities and work at low wages...can you spell MORON?

Well, not quite, you missed a few steps in the process. Clinton restored democracy by reinstating Aristides in 1994 after he was deposed in a coup but only on the condition that he adopt the kind of neoliberal program favoured by his opponent, a former World Bank official who lost the election heavily. Import tariffs were lowered and the country was flooded with cheap subsidised produce from US agri-business, thus disenfranchised farmers moved to the city to look for work opportunities. High competition and a minimum wage kept low thanks to US pressure exerted on Aristides mainly through USAID meant a mountain of desperate cheap labour for the sweat shops. Hey, but they're just details, don't they give ya a headache? Back to the chorus USA! USA! USA!

As far as Argentines being anti American, I don't see it - I do see a lot of our Argentine friends moving to South Florida and making a great life for themselves, with out worrying being mugged at every corner

Oh, you mean like Miami which has a homicide rate 5 times higher than Capital Federal?

orwellian said:
And a lot of people are trying to get to Europe too, especially Argentines.

Yep, those are the ones who were turned down for visas at the American consulate.

Personally, it doesn't bother me if there are people who hate my American/Argentinian guts. Let them hate us, if that makes them feel better.

Francisco de Quevedo said it best: La envidia va flaca y amarilla porque muerde pero no come. Envy is thin and shallow because it bites but does not eat.

SaraSara said:
Yep, those are the ones who were turned down for visas at the American consulate.

Personally, it doesn't bother me one bit if people hate my American/Argentinian guts. Let them envy us...!

Francisco de Quevedo said it best: La envidia va flaca y amarilla porque muerde pero no come.

Envy is thin and shallow because it bites but does not eat.

How simpleminded are you? The people who hate you don't envy you. They hate you for raping and pillaging the whole Latin American continent and for participating in the murder of thousands of Argentines during the dictatorship. How hard is that to understand?

Back