US Citizen Interested in moving to Buenos Aries

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP does not understand how things work here. In the states you have law and order and you fear the consequences of breaking the law. In AR you do whatever you want and don't really fear anything. You can drive 200kph on the highway and no one will ever stop you. You can break into someone's house to rob them and get your ass kicked and it's the homeowner's fault for beating you up. You can stand in the middle of the road and shut down traffic any time you want without punishment.

Seq, this place is for the most part lawless... Take everything you know about living in Texas and forget it. Just be here and try to live by the golden rule and NEVER touch the mate straw and you'll be fine. Literally everyone here uses blue rates.

Sounds like it's sort of like jaywalking here in the states, but jaywalking doesn't have up to 8 year prison sentence, or am I mistaken about that? Either way, there appear to be some more legal methods that are not that much more expensive. But what about the higher tax rate? I think I have to pay 35% income tax, and then wealth tax, and maybe some other taxes, possibly some double tax? That's one of my concerns, though it still seems like good quality of life, cheap or free? (not sure about that) health care, low prices, so that should also be taken into account. Another concern is what else will happen? The country is in financial trouble and you wonder is it going to get better, worse, more taxes, more restrictions, etc. Sometimes it's hard to turn things around and a country gets stuck in downward spiral, where one things leads to another, a domino effect. I'm sure there are many countries in history where things were great and for whatever reason just kept getting worse and worse. So another part of my analysis is trying to predict the future. For example, is it going to get so bad that infrastructure will break down, services will suffer, the clean streets will get dirty, potholes in the streets, etc.?

Two Columbus Status Removed by order of Mayor Lori Lightfoot, form a Chicago Park . Lori was reelected in 2019 , She became the first black gay Democrat Mayor of Chicago.

Here in Argentina Chavez convinced Cristina to remove Colon's statue and send it for repairs, Chavez and Cristina were visionaries ahead of their times.Paseo Colon will be renamed..? Paseo Roca..?

Two Columbus Status Removed by order of Mayor Lori Lightfoot, form a Chicago Park . Lori was reelected in 2019 , She became the first black gay Democrat Mayor of Chicago.

Here in Argentina Chavez convinced Cristina to remove Colon's statue and send it for repairs, Chavez and Cristina were visionaries ahead of their times.Paseo Colon will be renamed..? Paseo Roca..?
There will come the time when it will be racist to say that in 1492 Columbus discovered America

Sounds like it's sort of like jaywalking here in the states, but jaywalking doesn't have up to 8 year prison sentence, or am I mistaken about that? Either way, there appear to be some more legal methods that are not that much more expensive. But what about the higher tax rate? I think I have to pay 35% income tax, and then wealth tax, and maybe some other taxes, possibly some double tax? That's one of my concerns, though it still seems like good quality of life, cheap or free? (not sure about that) health care, low prices, so that should also be taken into account. Another concern is what else will happen? The country is in financial trouble and you wonder is it going to get better, worse, more taxes, more restrictions, etc. Sometimes it's hard to turn things around and a country gets stuck in downward spiral, where one things leads to another, a domino effect. I'm sure there are many countries in history where things were great and for whatever reason just kept getting worse and worse. So another part of my analysis is trying to predict the future. For example, is it going to get so bad that infrastructure will break down, services will suffer, the clean streets will get dirty, potholes in the streets, etc.?

Gonna give you a few tips here.

It's already like that my dude. Come visit and stay longer than 5 months. Enough time for you to do the little things like go to a bank or buy groceries or pay bills, or fly/drive within the country. Enough time for the tourist glasses to come off. Then start considering permanent decisions. Right now you're worrying about things that as an "American" you can't possibly get your hands around. BTW There's at least 6 different dollars, chew on that for a bit.

In terms of Healthcare, I can see what you're envisioning, the same thing we have in the states but at 100/mo. Wrong. You should envision a clinic with people all drinking out of the same cup, people making sandwiches on a panini press right on the front desk. A guy who takes your urine sample without donning a glove, the walls have dirty hand prints from 75 years of people walking along them. Get an xray? Put on the same gown that is hanging on the wall that the same person before you (and probably 100s more) wore. And this is the "expensive" private insurance clinic all perfectly normal here.

Have you ever been to a Walmart and thought about drinking out of the water cooler except there's only one cup and you stand there in the checkout line for 45 min while you see at least 5 or 6 people walk up and drink out of the cup and put it back on to the cooler for the next person? Or if you want to pay with your CC but you have to wait for them to call the CC machine keeper guy to bring the one machine in the entire store to the register? And you can see him after they yell to him and he continues to have a charla with another employee while you stand there waiting?

You can't pump your own gas. You have to sit in your truck while you wait for a guy to decide to come over and fill your tank.

One day last winter the entire country didn't have electricity.

I've been to over 30 countries but this one is unique. It's simple yet frustrating at the same time. I learn new things every day about how stuff works here. Every day is an adventure.

I'm just trying to help you see that we can tell you all day long but until you jump in and start experiencing it for yourself, you're wasting your time attempting to contemplate all these variables. Locals don't plan for the future more than a month or so out and neither should you. Planning beyond this time line will drive you crazy. Hell by the time you attempt to get residency there might be a new president and the whole system will be different. You gotta ride the lightning here!

It's already like that my dude. Come visit and stay longer than 5 months. Enough time for you to do the little things like go to a bank or buy groceries or pay bills, or fly/drive within the country. Enough time for the tourist glasses to come off. Then start considering permanent decisions. Right now you're worrying about things that as an "American" you can't possibly get your hands around. BTW There's at least 6 different dollars, chew on that for a bit.

In terms of Healthcare, I can see what you're envisioning, the same thing we have in the states but at 100/mo. Wrong. You should envision a clinic with people all drinking out of the same cup, people making sandwiches on a panini press right on the front desk. A guy who takes your urine sample without donning a glove, the walls have dirty hand prints from 75 years of people walking along them. Get an xray? Put on the same gown that is hanging on the wall that the same person before you (and probably 100s more) wore. And this is the "expensive" private insurance clinic all perfectly normal here.

Have you ever been to a Walmart and thought about drinking out of the water cooler except there's only one cup and you stand there in the checkout line for 45 min while you see at least 5 or 6 people walk up and drink out of the cup and put it back on to the cooler for the next person? Or if you want to pay with your CC but you have to wait for them to call the CC machine keeper guy to bring the one machine in the entire store to the register? And you can see him after they yell to him and he continues to have a charla with another employee while you stand there waiting?

You can't pump your own gas. You have to sit in your truck while you wait for a guy to decide to come over and fill your tank.

I've been to over 30 countries but this one is unique. It's simple yet frustrating at the same time. I learn new things every day about how stuff works here. Every day is an adventure.

I'm just trying to help you see that we can tell you all day long but until you jump in and start experiencing it for yourself, you're wasting your time attempting to contemplate all these variables. Locals don't plan for the future more than a month or so out and neither should you. Planning beyond this time line will drive you crazy. Hell by the time you attempt to get residency there might be a new president and the whole system will be different. You gotta ride the lightning here!

What you say doesn't sound good, and very different than what I saw from the BA youtube street walking tours where everything for the most part seemed neat and clean, restaurants seemed clean, looked like European quality, depends on neighborhood I imagine, and also read Argentina health care rating is very high. But I think what you say must be accurate as well. Of course I would need to visit first before deciding, but right now I'm trying to do the research to determine if I should visit. Do you have any other recommendations of places that might be good. Right now I'm researching Valencia, Spain.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what are you plans? Are you going to stay there?

You can thank Chicago's first cis-gender heterosexual Jewish mayor (who replaced the Irish-Catholic Mayor Daley) for that. He managed to piss off both the CPD union and the more liberal voters of the city. That was quite an accomplishment. The police in Chicago are like the military in a Latin American country, without their support, you're done.

By the way, she was not reelected. It's her first term.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what are you plans? Are you going to stay there?
I'll stay here as long as my job is here. Dont get me wrong, my life here is good. Much better in fact than 99.8% of locals. I would vacation and relax here afterwards but I would not attempt to take a job making pesos or subject myself to being legally under the AR government with a citizenship or whatnot. You will also see soon that many of the young nationals will be trying to take your place in the states or Europe. Definitely come check it out and try it on for size.

You can thank Chicago's first cis-gender heterosexual Jewish mayor (who replaced the Irish-Catholic Mayor Daley) for that. He managed to piss off both the CPD union and the more liberal voters of the city. That was quite an accomplishment. The police in Chicago are like the military in a Latin American country, without their support, you're done.

By the way, she was not reelected. It's her first term.

True , She was elected in Ballotage voting. She removed Statues Lapsus digitus?

Perhaps it is time to switch clinics. Next time, try Diagnostico Maipu for any testing - it is up there with the best the Washington, D.C. area has to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back