USA visa for Argentinian boyfriend

You have to schedule the interview. If you go to the US Embassy website, he will have to fill out the application form online, upload pics, etc and you can schedule an interview then.

Good luck!

For whatever it is worth. Girlfriend received a 10 year Tourist Visa in February. We played everything by the numbers. We shared paying for the airline ticket to US and noted such on visa application. DID NOT BUY TICKET until after receiving the visa, per US Embassy and application advisory. Do not, I repeat do not BS these people. They are not stupid and they have heard every story in the book. If a false statement is discovered, you have bought the farm and have no recourse. I would suggest your friend note the relationship as FRIEND on the application. You may be lovers and plan on getting married someday, however you are indeed friends too. If you have any other agenda other than a visit to meet your parents, forget the tourist visa. Also, as pointed out, the visa does not guarantee entry. I sweated bullets waiting for her to clear immigration, but it all worked out.

when you and your boyfriend arrive at US immigration in the US, do not approach the officer together. under no circumstances should you alert the officer that you two are a couple. He should never say anything about a girlfriend or lover...

Hi!

Although I have never had to go through this (challenging) process, I know of a website that I recommend (similar to BAExpats) called Lovingyou.com. There are different threads and topics, one of which is immigration (getting a tourist visa, fianceé visa, etc.) for your significant other. Try checking it out:

http://members.lovingyou.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=23

The people on the forum seem to be very well informed about the topic, and you can always post the same question that you posted on this website for more accurate responses by people who are doing or have already gone through the process.

Suerte! :)

And what do you do if the officer asks you why you come to the US?

qwerty said:
And what do you do if the officer asks you why you come to the US?
As my friend said to the interviewer, "want to see what all the hoopla is about." These interviewers and immigration people can read between the lines. All they are looking for is to catch you making a false statement and to insure you will return to Argentina. Immigration and interviewer are experts at tripping you up with various questions. Keep it simple. There is nothing wrong with the truth. Take it from one that has been through this, stick with the truth and let the cards fall where they may.

dennisr said:
As my friend said to the interviewer, "want to see what all the hoopla is about." These interviewers and immigration people can read between the lines. All they are looking for is to catch you making a false statement and to insure you will return to Argentina. Immigration and interviewer are experts at tripping you up with various questions. Keep it simple. There is nothing wrong with the truth. Take it from one that has been through this, stick with the truth and let the cards fall where they may.

I never need to get a visa but have entered the US about 6 times or so and I would think your right. Tell the truth and get the visa or not and deal with it

I went through this almost a year ago now. I sent him a letter formally inviting him to come stay with me and my family in the States (he needs to put down where he'll be staying, I think), and he scheduled an appointment at the Embassy in Buenos Aires. He had an interview, and after showing the interviewer the letter I wrote him, she gave him the tourist Visa which lasts for 10 years. I think it also helped that he spoke English fluently and also has a visa for another country.

And a friend of mine said what everyone else is saying: Always tell the truth. I think it's a lot easier to get a visa being Argentine than Peruvian or Mexican, from what I've heard.

I always say... tell the truth. My boyfriend applied for a visa last year... he stated that the reason he was traveling was to meet my family. My mother wrote him a letter of invitation. And the embassy actually asked for photocopies of my passport and my mother's passport as well. They did a little investigation on me... they asked him why I was still in Argentina even though my study abroad program through the university of washington was over. It kind of surprised me but they did grant him the visa (after clarifying like 12 times that we could not get married and stay in the US with a tourist visa). And now we are actually getting married in the US, we were told we still should not apply for a fiance visa because we do not plan to stay. And a friend of mine recently got a fiance visa for her now husband... they got married in the US and then went on their honeymoon abroad... and you can't technically do that... you can't re-enter on a fiance visa so they had to go back to Ireland and reapply for a visa for him after they were married. So to sum it up, your best bet is to just tell the truth (and not worry tooo much!)

From my experience with my Argentine girlfriend, it all comes down to whether or not she has anything to make her go back to Argentina.

This can be a job or property or a bank account. But most importantly it is a documented family. Parents or grandparents with the same last name (even if adopted) and other relatives that would convince the person to go home.

I have seen a few times where the person has a lot of money and a great job but almost no family and they will not give them the visa.

Best of luck.

Back