USA visa for Argentinian boyfriend

gunt86 said:
when you and your boyfriend arrive at US immigration in the US, do not approach the officer together. under no circumstances should you alert the officer that you two are a couple. He should never say anything about a girlfriend or lover...

Not sure how true this is. When my girlfriend and I arrived in Miami in June, we went to separate lines because I thought we had to. The guy at immigration asked her why we were separate after she told him she was staying with me for 3 weeks in the States.

Now, she has had a visa before, and been to the States many times, so that may have made the difference, but they stamped her for a 6 month visa. Oh yeah, she was 6 months pregnant too.

i do agree though - do not try and BS them with anything.

A couple of friends (Argentine) have visited me in the last year.. They were both in their mid 20's. One had an Argentine law degree and was about to start work...the other about to graduate in the same field. Neither the man nor the woman said they were coming to see a "lover, boyfriend/girlfriend, future husband/wife"...and I would recommend you don't say this. That would make them think that you are more likely to stay past your regular tourist visa.
If you are already planing a wedding or engaged... I would say get it over with now (dealing with the embassy for a more permanent stay in the USA)

search any US immigration forum and you will see that there have been countless numbers of people refused entry for saying they are visiting their boyfriend/girlfriend...USCIS automatically thinks that the visitor has other intentions (getting married or over staying their visa).
I would avoid asking US citizens advice about USCIS and US immigration in the future, since they almost always know absolutely nothing about it. Ask your question on an appropriate immigration forum if you want a realistic answer.

But what do you say if they ask what your reason is for begin in the US or if you have a (girl) friend? That were always the first questions for me

If you haven't sorted this out yet, send me a PM to discuss. I'm a US immigration attorney.

VISITING a boyfriend/girlfriend sounds like you are going to STAY. Meeting the parents is another deal entirely, and I think it is a VALID REASON. Why WOULDN'T you want your family to meet someone special BEFORE you get married or even really start planning it? With the fiance visa you have to get married within three months after entering the States and have to make a sworn statement you will do it.

Zaenden, are you SERIOUS? They can deny you at port, even AFTER you have done everything legal, got the visa, paid the money, bought the round trip plane ticket? ^&@%#?!?!?! The US is nice and efficient and all, but I prefer the messiness of life and its imperfections, with all it's random unfairness, even if it's inconvenient for me, as long as it's served up with a dose of warm humanity---instead of cold, hard dehumanizing rules. That's just me. ¡Me quedo acá, me quedo acá para siempre!...si es que me dejen.

We should start rejecting some tourists randomly, the same number of argentinians they reject there at the airport, until they learn, and if they don´t, good ridance. Reciprocity is a bitch.

marksoc said:
We should start rejecting some tourists randomly, the same number of argentinians they reject there at the airport, until they learn, and if they don´t, good ridance. Reciprocity is a bitch.
In the greater LA DMA there are over 400,000 Argentines. Approx. 35% are illegal. Reciprocity is a double edge sword.

To the original poster....you said your boyfriend is a Medic, [I assume you mean Doctor]. Be warned that young doctors are on a list of "undesirable aliens". The AMA is a very poweful lobby and has convinced the government that these folks are coming to overstay their visas and to take the US medical boards in hopes of gaining US licensure.

marksoc said:

(1) It doesn't make sense, and (2) it doesn't work.

1.) If Argentina opposes the policy, why would the government then adopt it as its own? It has about as much logic as the death penalty. (We're going to murder you for murdering someone else because murder is bad.) If it's bad policy, then it's bad policy.

2.) It doesn't work because a very, very small portion of Americans actually travel internationally, and much less to Argentina. For the U.S. policy to change (and I assume that's partially why they've retaliated with reciprocity), it has to have an effect. With only 500,000 (a whopping 0.16% of the U.S. population) U.S. visitors per year, most people in the U.S. don't even know about the policy. And if they do, they probably couldn't careless.

Unfortunately, the only people this policy ever ends up affecting are the ones that might be swayed by Argentina's cause (those 500,000), and the country itself.

Back