Validity Of The Reciprocity Fee

Beaudes

Registered
We arrived in Buenos Aires three months ago and we decided that we would like to extend our stay so we now have to cross the border next week-end to get another 90 days in the country. As a Canadian, I paid my reciprocity fee the last time I came in but, silly me, I chose the one valid for three months. So here is my question: because the expiration date of that Reciprocity Fee is May 6[sup]th[/sup] and I am re-entering Argentina on the 5[sup]th[/sup], should I pay for another one so that it would cover the duration of my stay in the country or does the fact that this Fee is valid the day I come through Migrations allow me entry without paying for another one?

In other words, does the Reciprocity Fee have to be valid for the whole length of my stay or only when I pass the Migrations Office?

We arrived in Buenos Aires three months ago and we decided that we would like to extend our stay so we now have to cross the border next week-end to get another 90 days in the country. As a Canadian, I paid my reciprocity fee the last time I came in but, silly me, I chose the one valid for three months. So here is my question: because the expiration date of that Reciprocity Fee is May 6[sup]th[/sup] and I am re-entering Argentina on the 5[sup]th[/sup], should I pay for another one so that it would cover the duration of my stay in the country or does the fact that this Fee is valid the day I come through Migrations allow me entry without paying for another one?

In other words, does the Reciprocity Fee have to be valid for the whole length of my stay or only when I pass the Migrations Office?

Unless you really want to see Colonia, you should just go to the Migraciones Office and extend your stay 3 months. I'd go April 30th or May 2nd (May 1st is a holiday) to see if you have a problem. If you do, then I guess you go to Uruguay on May 3rd, 4th, or 5th and see what happens.

My advice would be to simply overstay and pay the overstay fine when you leave - no real reason to go to Colonia.

I agree with Napoleon. If you are staying for less than an additional 90 days and don't want to leave the country or overstay your present visa, you can go to the office of migraciones in Retiro and get a 90 day extension (prorroga de permanencia) for $300 pesos (same as the overstay fee).

The extension is routine. Unless there is a "180 day" reciprocity fee I doubt they will ask you to pay the 90 day fee again.

Thank you all for your answers.

If it's useful to anyone, I showed my Reciprocity Fee and they accepted it, no questions asked.

I'm on a campaign to end euphemisms, so let's call it what it is - a retaliation fee.

I'm on a campaign to end euphemisms, so let's call it what it is - a retaliation fee.

You may view it as retaliation but they are perfectly entitled to do treat nationals of other countries the same way that Argentine citizens are treated by other governments C hile and Brazil carry out similar policies.

I think the retaliation fees harm countries more than help them. IE: Brazil charges US people a fee to enter Brazil, thus Brazil´s economy suffers from fewer US tourists.

The upside for Brazil is that Brazilians may some day get the US to change and allow Brazilians to visit US without paying an entrance fee. That doesn´t help
Brazil´s economy. It benefits well off Brazilians who want to travel to US - and that is still a small percentage of Brazilians.

You may view it as retaliation but they are perfectly entitled to do treat nationals of other countries the same way that Argentine citizens are treated by other governments C hile and Brazil carry out similar policies.

That does make those policies any less foolish. I think the United States, Canada and Australia are equally near-sighted on this issue. I am in favor of abolish all these onerous visa and "reciprocity" measures.

I don't know all of a country's reason for the reciprocity fee but I tend to agree with PaulBee. I don't know how many people have come here to Argentina, wanted to go to Paraguay but when they found out they had to pay to enter, changed their mind. And yet I find it understandable that they do that. But it does seem like it could be a damper on the economy.

Back