Vegetables

Zissou said:
Additionally, a lot of produce here is a lot closer to organic that what gets the LABEL of organic at home, but really... is organic at such a technical level it's a travesty. (products labeled natural, bio, or organic are barely regulated to say the least).

REALLY !!!

I have read that farmers in argentina use lots of chemicals, and it is estimated they use 200,000,000 litres alone of roundup weedkiller a year. Even if a particualar tomatoe farmer who supplies a supermarket doesnt us it, there is spray dift which can go for km's.

I find most fruit and veges to be of bad quality and expensive in BSAS - with the exception of feb/march when there is lots of fresh plums/peaches etc around.

I buy a lot of veggies from the super market because the local verdularias are all shit.

They have no refrigeration and so the produce is just left to wilt in the summer heat. After 1 day the morrones are all shriveled and nasty and they almost never have the yellow bell peppers (which at the moment are absolutely scrumptious). They never have portobellos in any of the 3 verdularias near me, yet in Coto they almost always have a great selection of hub cap sized beauties. Shallots? forget about it. Mint? Sometimes. Jalepenos? almost never. Puta parió? a veces. Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme? No way jose.

I do still pass by a verdularia almost daily for lettuce and lemons and occasionally corn but I couldn't imagine living with out the supermarket's produce section.

awe this is so depressing.....so much for my smoothies :( haha course I'd have to find where to get a blender first....but I ususually use spinach or swiss chard. I can see AR is going to be a bit of a challenge but I accept haha. Thanks for the input!

PhilipDT said:
They never have portobellos in any of the 3 verdularias near me, yet in Coto they almost always have a great selection of hub cap sized beauties. Shallots? forget about it. Mint? Sometimes. Jalepenos? almost never. Puta parió? a veces. Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme? No way jose.

I know I sound like a broken record always recommending the mercado San Telmo, but here I am again. If anyone is in the barrio, I highly recommend you stop by. It is open every day.

Mint (usually two types), red and green jalapeños and lots of other peppers, cilantro, limes, rosemary, parsley and even mangos are always there. Several types of mushrooms, too. Always. Not sure about sage or thyme, but I would bet so. I lived next door to one of the entrances for a year and while I haven't been in a couple months, it probably hasn't changed much. Also, from time to time they have coconuts, papayas, blueberries, different nuts, and other more exotic things that I never even found in barrio chino. Not to mention that the fact that there are a ton of verdulerías under the same roof (many with refrigeration!), so it keeps them honest and they all charge the same prices. Walk around and check. Always saw more Argentines then foreigners shopping in there, too, except on Sundays of course. A verdulería in this market will be a little more expensive than cualquier otra, but the quality and variety, to me, was always so worth it. Nice people, too. I miss it.

how much are fruits nowadays over in bsas? where can i buy bing cherries? concord grapes? papaya? asian pears?

Quinta Fresca, as close to whole foods as you can get, many things even better. Delivered to your door. Not the cheapest but the absolute best we've found by far.

Second would be Talloverde, also delivers and is organic or the markets in San Telmo and Cabillito.

There's an organic market in Palermo - I think it's on Thames, maybe Uriarte, and pretty near Gorriti. Sorry that I'm not remembering the exact address.

I would be very surprised if you took a walk around your neighbourhood and didn't stumble upon a good greengrocers. I've got about six all within a couple of blocks of my house...two of which are very good, 2 of which are abysmal and another 1 is average yet priced way higher than all the others. It's a matter of taking a stroll and looking at what's available (and where people are queuing)
The quality at the good ones (both bolivian-run) is pretty high. They do sometimes have past-its-best produce, but if you build up a good relationship with the owners, they'll pick you out the nicer stuff.
The only down side (I guess) is that produce can be quite seasonal. Things aren't imported so a lot of veg isn't available all year round. Having said that though, you'll have no problems finding ingredients for your smoothies (spinach, other greens, whatever). Almond milk will be more difficult. You can buy non gmo soy milk at the better dieteticas.

jb5 said:
Quinta Fresca, as close to whole foods as you can get, many things even better. Delivered to your door. Not the cheapest but the absolute best we've found by far.

Second would be Talloverde, also delivers and is organic or the markets in San Telmo and Cabillito.
where are these stores you are speaking of I'd seriously lovvvve to check them out!

Back