Veterinary Practices And Beliefs In Arg

Girino

Registered
There was this furry guy who had been going around our street for a week, meowing and following people around, so I decided to take him home and then to the vet.

The vet examined my furry friend and said he was okay and just needed to be treated against parasites (poo worms and fleas) and some fungi he has on his head, so he prescribed him a two-weeks course against parasites (6 pills in total), and to disinfect his head with a red disinfectant I never heard of (to be diluted with water).

I asked him if it wasn't simpler to give him a pill against worms with another one next month, plus 3-4 pills against fungi and the usual anti-flea spot-on, but he said that the pill against fungi is dangerous for the liver.

I also asked him what's about wet cat food here, since I don't see a great selection of brands here. Either you buy Whiskas/Carrefour for <7 pesos a pouch, or you go straight to Royal Canin at 12 pesos a pouch. The vet explained that the wet food is not good for the cat because it could damage the kidneys in the long run, and that here wet food is much more expensive than in Europe.

My feline friends needs also to be castrated and vaccinated, and the vet said we need to vaccinate him in two weeks and to castrate him in a month.

Now, the feline is not at all collaborative with taking pills every day, and his pee and poo have an awful smell because they are full of hormones. Plus, he asks to go out ( maybe is he turning into a dog?! :confused: ), meowing at 6 AM to get out and I am starting to doubt I made the right thing for both of us.

I live in an apartment with just a small balcony, and he is a 3 years old street guy according to the vet. I think he just needs a house with a safe garden where he could come and go whenever he pleases, he is very good and loves to be scratched even on his belly. This vet was recommended by the local animal association, so I am not questioning him personally rather the veterinary mainstream here.

Have you had similar experiences?

This is him (Tuco)

idwuvq.jpg

feed him raw food, The tips of raw chicken wings chopped up, Chicken necks chopped up, the giblets, cows heart, liver, kidney, etc all work out much cheaper than cat food. Its also much better for them!

More "meat" than organs. (the heart is considered meat)

Never give a cat cooked bones but raw small bones are fine such as chicken.

You can give the cat the whole chicken wing but as a fan of wings i tend to eat the rest of mine myself. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_feeding

Now, the feline is not at all collaborative with taking pills every day, and his pee and poo have an awful smell because they are full of hormones. Plus, he asks to go out ( maybe is he turning into a dog?! :confused: ), meowing at 6 AM to get out and I am starting to doubt I made the right thing for both of us.

I live in an apartment with just a small balcony, and he is a 3 years old street guy according to the vet. I think he just needs a house with a safe garden where he could come and go whenever he pleases.
Have you had similar experiences?

What do you mean he asks to go out? Do you keep a litter box inside the apartment so that he can use it when he needs to? Then he won't meow at 6am. My cat cries if I accidentally forget and shut the door that leads to his kitty litter. He once punished me by crapping in my bed and wrapping it up in the sheets as if it were his litter box. Once I found a street cat and gave him to a church that had a mice problem. You might be able to find a church or a hospital to leave him at where he will be taken care of and free to roam.

I agree with never giving him meat with bones. He can choke on it, but I personally would advise against giving him raw chicken or meat of any kind. My cat ended up with parasites and the vet told me to cook the meat first.

I agree with never giving him meat with bones. He can choke on it, but I personally would advise against giving him raw chicken or meat of any kind. My cat ended up with parasites and the vet told me to cook the meat first.

http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-should-I-feed-my-cat_262.html

I said never give him cooked bones, bones are very helpful for cats.

Having a male uncastrated cat in an apartment is a challenge. :p He should calm down and not cry out for midnight romps once he's fixed... and that awful pee smell is normal for uncastrated males. My aunt had one that would poop in her potted plants. Whether you keep him or not, please have him fixed or make sure his next owner does. :)

My experience with vet care here has been okay. We drive 30-45 minutes to take our pets to a vet in San Isidro because the ones around here aren't very good and my husband's family has a special relation with that veterinary hospital. The sanitary conditions aren't anything like the vet hospitals I've seen in the States (for instance, the first time I went we were greeted at the door by a limping dog with pins in the bones of his legs... he looked awful , but they allow the recovering animals to sort of roam free) - but on the other hand I've found the vets to be much more thorough and caring and they tend to get to the root of the matter.

We took one dog in because she was having stomach issues, and after a few questions they went ahead and did an ultrasound, found she had pancreatitis, and suggested a meal plan that allowed her to completely recuperate. Had it been in the US, they probably would have charged an arm and a leg for the ultrasound and have her checked in. We had to drive her there twice a day, every 12 hours, so that she could get 30 minutes of IV fluid... we were allowed to go at the hour most convenient to us (once being 5 AM in the morning.) So, I can't really complain about the service, although upon first appearances, it was a bit of a culture shock to see the somewhat poor conditions of the building itself and the somewhat disregard for safety.

I imagine the veterinary hospital in Cap Fed might be nicer (especially in the nicer barrios.) The practices may be different, but if they get results I'm not one to complain. If you don't like your vet, you can always go to another.

Having a male uncastrated cat in an apartment is a challenge. :p He should calm down and not cry out for midnight romps once he's fixed... and that awful pee smell is normal for uncastrated males. My aunt had one that would poop in her potted plants. Whether you keep him or not, please have him fixed or make sure his next owner does. :)

My experience with vet care here has been okay. We drive 30-45 minutes to take our pets to a vet in San Isidro because the ones around here aren't very good and my husband's family has a special relation with that veterinary hospital. The sanitary conditions aren't anything like the vet hospitals I've seen in the States (for instance, the first time I went we were greeted at the door by a limping dog with pins in the bones of his legs... he looked awful , but they allow the recovering animals to sort of roam free) - but on the other hand I've found the vets to be much more thorough and caring and they tend to get to the root of the matter.

We took one dog in because she was having stomach issues, and after a few questions they went ahead and did an ultrasound, found she had pancreatitis, and suggested a meal plan that allowed her to completely recuperate. Had it been in the US, they probably would have charged an arm and a leg for the ultrasound and have her checked in. We had to drive her there twice a day, every 12 hours, so that she could get 30 minutes of IV fluid... we were allowed to go at the hour most convenient to us (once being 5 AM in the morning.) So, I can't really complain about the service, although upon first appearances, it was a bit of a culture shock to see the somewhat poor conditions of the building itself and the somewhat disregard for safety.

I imagine the veterinary hospital in Cap Fed might be nicer (especially in the nicer barrios.) The practices may be different, but if they get results I'm not one to complain. If you don't like your vet, you can always go to another.

Can you send me the name of the vet you use? If anyone else has a good vet that can do a complicated surgery to remove a foreign object, please let me know. We need a second opinion on our labrador's case. He ate something -- a string or something that has his intestines completely screwed up. He's in renal failure and our vet is unsure surgery will be successful. We suspect maybe our vet isn't very experienced with these types of cases, so want to cover all bases. We're getting desperate and running out of time. Thanks!

cats a re fun to entertain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALKWW5tpAT8&feature=kp

Can you send me the name of the vet you use? If anyone else has a good vet that can do a complicated surgery to remove a foreign object, please let me know. We need a second opinion on our labrador's case. He ate something -- a string or something that has his intestines completely screwed up. He's in renal failure and our vet is unsure surgery will be successful. We suspect maybe our vet isn't very experienced with these types of cases, so want to cover all bases. We're getting desperate and running out of time. Thanks!

I use Federico Curra Gagliano and have been really happy with him. He's very experienced/teaches at the university, etc. (contact info below). I also really liked the vet who did my dog's castration/neutering (he was referred to me by Federico): Dr. Boeri Paz, +54 11 4784-3184. It's a husband/wife team and they are great. Best of luck to you - it's terrible to see your animal in pain - I hope he recovers soon!

Federico Curra Gagliano
15-5887-9861
[email protected]

Back