Veterinary Practices And Beliefs In Arg

This vet told us to feed him only well cooked meat, like chicken, and very little red meat. That is why I opened this thread, this vet gave suggestions that are the opposite of what I ever heard.

We drive 30-45 minutes to take our pets to a vet in San Isidro because the ones around here aren't very good and my husband's family has a special relation with that veterinary hospital.

Would you mind sharing his contact? We are in San Isidro historical center.

What do you mean he asks to go out? Do you keep a litter box inside the apartment so that he can use it when he needs to? Then he won't meow at 6am.

We keep a huge, brand new litter box in the apartment, and we put it next to the door because that is where he is going when he wants to go out to pee and poo, but find the (apartment) door shut. He uses the litter with no problem, he just really really wants to go out. Every time he hears the lift doors opening, he meows, or if someone is coming in or going out from our apartment, he goes along hoping to go out with our guest.

Last night he didn't stop meowing and it was 11 PM, I tried again to feed him his pill and in protest he run to our bedroom and peed on the moquette (while we were trying to move him away and yelling, but he didn't care). He did the same yesterday afternoon after pill-time, only he choose the kitchen floor. And at dinner time, he peed purposely on the recycling plastic bag on the floor of the kitchen after meowing insistently for a while.

When he peed on the moquette, it was the last straw. We took him where we found him (on the lawn of the condominium across the street) and he was so happy, smelling at the grass, roaming free, having a good ol' giant smelly shit in a bush (despite he had one 3 hours before in our litter).
I think his peeing habit (which he developed only yesterday) was simply a sign of distress or a protest. He made VERY clear that he wanted to go out. We'll keep an eye out for him in the street and we will feed him whenever we have the chance. The guy simply loves his homeless life.

The orange/brownish liquid he prescribed for the fungus (I imagine it's ringworm) it probably Pervinox, it's what our vet's also told us to use and it's always worked. Our cat comes and goes to our yard with his kitty door and plays in the dirt so summer for us tends to be a constant ringworm battle. Our vet also waits to give the anti-fungal pill until a very last resort, which he only has done once when we first adopted the little guy cause he came off the street with the fungus so advanced that his whole face and neck was bald pobrecito. The ringworm can take a couple weeks to heal so be patient, it's worth it, at least in winter it won't worsen like it would in summer heat.

I also just give our cat a really high quality dry food, wet food upset his stomach and it was better for everyone involved to throw the rest out haha. He won't eat any human food or meat, fickle thing. Just find what works best for your little guy.

Good luck with the crying at 6 am. It really might be that he misses roaming. Our cat comes and goes as I said, always out back and god knows where from there (but never to the street our front). He has a rip away collar in case anything happens he has our info on it but won't be strangled to death if his collar gets caught. So if you give him a collar avoid those pretty leather ones int he pet shopsa nd get an elastic or rip away one he can break free of if he gets caught as cats do tend to squeeze into tiny spaces.

Good luck with him!

This vet told us to feed him only well cooked meat, like chicken, and very little red meat. That is why I opened this thread, this vet gave suggestions that are the opposite of what I ever heard.

Would you mind sharing his contact? We are in San Isidro historical center.

We keep a huge, brand new litter box in the apartment, and we put it next to the door because that is where he is going when he wants to go out to pee and poo, but find the (apartment) door shut. He uses the litter with no problem, he just really really wants to go out. Every time he hears the lift doors opening, he meows, or if someone is coming in or going out from our apartment, he goes along hoping to go out with our guest.

Last night he didn't stop meowing and it was 11 PM, I tried again to feed him his pill and in protest he run to our bedroom and peed on the moquette (while we were trying to move him away and yelling, but he didn't care). He did the same yesterday afternoon after pill-time, only he choose the kitchen floor. And at dinner time, he peed purposely on the recycling plastic bag on the floor of the kitchen after meowing insistently for a while.

When he peed on the moquette, it was the last straw. We took him where we found him (on the lawn of the condominium across the street) and he was so happy, smelling at the grass, roaming free, having a good ol' giant smelly shit in a bush (despite he had one 3 hours before in our litter).
I think his peeing habit (which he developed only yesterday) was simply a sign of distress or a protest. He made VERY clear that he wanted to go out. We'll keep an eye out for him in the street and we will feed him whenever we have the chance. The guy simply loves his homeless life.

There are already far too many feral cats, and far too many dead birds, in Argentina and elsewhere. All cats should be neutered, and letting them roam outdoors is irresponsible. Euthanasia, unfortunately, is one important tool to combat the public health problem that cats pose (for what it's worth, I reluctantly suggest the same for dogs).

Agreed - in general, treatment options for small/large animals are pretty limited compared to the US and Europe. I do find vets generally speaking to be very approachable and I love that they do house calls. It was a huge relief to have my mastiffs put down at home when it was time as it was so much less traumatic for them.

I will say, I was SHOCKED and not in a good way when I heard that vets were telling clients that their female dogs should be bred at least once before neutering/spaying as otherwise they would get cancer. 1) That has been proven false & is very out of date thinking and 2) given the overpopulation of pets in Argentina, that is just god-awful advice.

My experience here has been really good. I'm floored by the amount of time and care my vet takes with my dog (who has a genetic heart condition). He writes pages of detailed notes, does frequent "control" exams and is really dedicated. He doesn't charge all that much either so he's obviously not in it for the money. I've never had a dog in the US but I'm thinking this kind of service would be rare and really expensive….

I was involved in animal rescue back in Europe. Some ferals never get used to domestic life, but what we would was TNR - Trap, Neuter, Release. That was for their own health and decreasing the population as there are too many cats roaming free and suffering. I'd suggest you catch him again and neuter him ASAP and then release if it's not good for you and him to make him domestic. That will be a great contribution to the cat and society in general. Good luck!

I was involved in animal rescue back in Europe. Some ferals never get used to domestic life, but what we would was TNR - Trap, Neuter, Release. That was for their own health and decreasing the population as there are too many cats roaming free and suffering. I'd suggest you catch him again and neuter him ASAP and then release if it's not good for you and him to make him domestic. That will be a great contribution to the cat and society in general. Good luck!

Not a solution. Neutered cats are still toxoplasmosis vectors (http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-care/toxoplasmosis) and still kill birds (https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cats-kill-more-one-billion-birds-each-year)

I'd suggest you catch him again and neuter him ASAP and then release if it's not good for you and him to make him domestic.

I will certainly do if I meet him again. I think he moves around because when he appeared in our street, it was the first time I saw it in a month and half, and he remained around for a solid week before I decided to take him home with us (he was very okay with being held and I didn't need a carrier to take him home).

I was going to neuter him ASAP but the vet recommended to wait a month, treating him little by little, and the guy was okay with enjoying the domestic life for the first 2 days. Then he sort of recovered from his tiredness, and got bored of life in a home (and couldn't stand taking pills). He didn't explore the house, he didn't play, he wasn't curious. It looked like he already knew the deal and simply he wasn't interested in a domestic life longer than 3 days.

I have been going around trying to spot him, we used to see him day and night, he walked along pedestrians and wasn't afraid of cars or people.

I will certainly do if I meet him again. I think he moves around because when he appeared in our street, it was the first time I saw it in a month and half, and he remained around for a solid week before I decided to take him home with us (he was very okay with being held and I didn't need a carrier to take him home).

I was going to neuter him ASAP but the vet recommended to wait a month, treating him little by little, and the guy was okay with enjoying the domestic life for the first 2 days. Then he sort of recovered from his tiredness, and got bored of life in a home (and couldn't stand taking pills). He didn't explore the house, he didn't play, he wasn't curious. It looked like he already knew the deal and simply he wasn't interested in a domestic life longer than 3 days.

I have been going around trying to spot him, we used to see him day and night, he walked along pedestrians and wasn't afraid of cars or people.

If he's not frightened of cars, there's an excellent chance he'll end up splattered on the street. Another good argument against free-roaming cats and dogs.

Back