Villa Soldati - Are you watching?

jaredwb said:
I was not discussing the constitutionality of the situation...Not sure but don't care what the constitution says about immigration. It is a disaster. Completely open borders. Stealing from the citizens to pay for housing, food, healthcare, of immigrants (legal and not). I think we agree on this :)

Still, I don't see this as an immigration issue. I would feel the same if they were all AR citizens in the park.

In my first or second post I gave equal blame for the situation to the city/national gov and the squatters. To see Macri and Super Mario (Fernandez) argue over what to do is incredible. Its like two 7 years olds fighting.

And where is CFK? Kind of a lose/lose situation for her, no? Its poor vs poorer. She can't pit the San Isidroids against the Villans on this one.

This country adheres to the International Human Rights Declaration which states that people are entitled to have education, health, work and housing. These people say they have no housing and since this declaration has Constitutional range, they are claiming for their rights. I rent the place where I live, I would like to get benefits and help to buy my own place, but as much as I would like that, I have to admit that living with no running water, gas, no streets, etc must be much worse. there has to be a way to solve this and end up with existing villas. I believe that urbanizing them should help fight against narcos, etc.

The structure of a villa makes it impossible for the Police to monitor what is going on in there. There are working people that want to do better. Taking over public space was not a legal or good way, but according to what they say they have tried for years to get some help to sort this out ( they say they do not want a free house, they are willing to pay for them ) I think the Nat Govt and the City Govt will have to wear long pants...

Btw, have you seen the state that park was in? nothing like Palermo or Recoleta for sure. The south of the city has always been relegated in many ways.

pauper said:
Today the federal government offered to provide land and houses for these people under a payment plan and the city government refused.
This is not correct: they offered the land and the City has to build the houses.

pauper said:
What truth is there to numerous reports of punteros and representatives aligned to Macri encouraging people to take the land and of the involvement of Cristian Ritondo?
It is known and proved that people in villas " own " land and build houses that they then rent out to the real poor. They sell and rent what they do not own, in my opinion they are obviously not in need but actually running a very lucrative business; they should go after them. There is a mafia or " poor " people exploiting the poor, it has to end.

I simply want to mirror elhombresinnombre's earlier comment, regarding the sentiments and attitudes of the expats on this forum. I suspect that many more than those who've commented are paying attention, feel something, want the violence to stop, etc.

Really, all I can do with my keystrokes is express that I think this sucks, and I sympathise. Like elhombresinnomre, I don't feel I have the knowledge or personal experience to comment on the causes, outcomes, judgments that best explain what's happening.

But I think both are an important part of the forum discussion: the sentiments, and the analysis. I'll just stick with the first bit, and I'm sure many more are without penning replies.

As for the second bit, thanks to everyone for the comments.

Moxon said:
What results do you wish to see? The majority of this investment has occurred over the last two or three years
Earlier you said the money was invested starting 2003...why in the World they waited so long? Probably because they noticed the educational collapse. Too late. And as I wrote, despite all that 'supposed' invested money we'll see no results...other than some bank accounts getting larger.

If you can show me the report that says these schools are not currently functioning
Who is going to write such a report? A trustworthy institution like INDEK?

:p
I can tell you where the schools are, since my aunt was supposed to work in one of them.
Though this certainly isn't a problem just confined to Argentina.
Mal de muchos consuelo de tontos.

Well, I've been in BA for a while but never even got close to these places. I am shaken by misery of these people and huge contrast between them and flamboyant portenos. Is'nt unregulated immigration part of a problem here?

Here are some photos from today. We saw a dark skinned kid attacked as he passed by the place where the barrier to the roads was and where residents were gathered. Many shouted for the attack to stop and I think he got away, but he was hurt. Horrible. At least the authorities are protecting the people in the park now.

This is all quite sad.

Pics from today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/katesedgwick/sets/72157625578804008/with/5252356521/

Amargo said:
Earlier you said the money was invested starting 2003...why in the World they waited so long? Probably because they noticed the educational collapse. Too late. And as I wrote, despite all that 'supposed' invested money we'll see no results...other than some bank accounts getting larger.

I stated that the majority of this investment has occurred over the last 2-3 years, I'm not sure what you don't understand about this. You still haven't elaborated on what results you expect to 'see'.

Amargo said:
Who is going to write such a report? A trustworthy institution like INDEK?

No, a journalist working for a media outlet one would presume.

Amargo said:
I can tell you where the schools are, since my aunt was supposed to work in one of them.

If your aunt is waiting to work for a school that isn't functioning but has been reported as functioning, then I assume there are numerous others from that same school waiting to start work. Have they gone to the provincial administration with this complaint? If so and they didn't get anywhere why don't they (or you) go to the media? They would eat this story up.

Again if you can show me a report of these schools which don't exist or aren't functioning I will remove them from my figure and round it down to 1000.

I stated that the majority of this investment has occurred over the last 2-3 years, I'm not sure what you don't understand about this. You still haven't elaborated on what results you expect to 'see'.
Something easy: have you read the PISA-test results? Even Perú and Brasil look better than we do! Or are you also going to say - like that parasite of a minister of education we have- that the results are false???
Or talk to any teacher and ask them what they think.

If your aunt is waiting to work for a school that isn't functioning but has been reported as functioning, then I assume there are numerous others from that same school waiting to start work. Have they gone to the provincial administration with this complaint? If so and they didn't get anywhere why don't they (or you) go to the media? They would eat this story up.
Sorry, but you know how it works: my aunt and other teacher who should start working in the new 'school' are packed inside an old school, sitting 45 children per room where there should be no more than 20-25. When it rains they have to move around are get 'more compact' to avoid the water dripping from the roof. That is when the plastic used to replace the missing window glass has no holes.
Teachers and guaraníes take turns to protest in front of the governour's house in Posadas.

and round it down to 1000.
Hahaha, like Pelé's 1000 goals! Not even his mother believes it! :p

Some things are clear from what happened:

1- The Metropolitana Macri Police is not effective, obviously, so Macri was not right when he asked for its formation.

2- Macri does not care about the city south of Rivadavia Avenue.

3- The budget for housing is not being utilized, we should investigate were Macri is putting those funds instead. I bet that is in works that need his or his friends´companies (like building ramps for weelchairs in the north of the city).

4- CFK utilized the situation politically, waiting until the last moment instead of sending the Army right away. I understand the move but I don´t condone it, those deaths could have been prevented.

5- There is an increase on xenophobic comments and attitudes in various estaments of Argentinian society. It is not only against the poor (as it is classic here) but against the "foreigners". Thanks PRO.

If Gendarmeria killed people those would be charged to CFK right away; barrabravas are probably Macri´s army and/or Duhalde (Macri=Boca; Duhalde=all the bad people you can think of in Argentina). CFK cannot attack poor people with the Army without loosing political capital, even if taking them out of there could be the right thing to do, so there it is.

And yes, we need to welcome anybody that wants to live in Argentina, and yes, if they cannot do it by themselves we must help them build their houses, maybe helping those thatwant to live in areas that can help our contry´s development. There is a lot of money to do it. If you feel that you are entitled to ask for help, do it, I think that probably you don´t fulfill the criteria.

Back