Visa advice: I want my Argentine friend to come visit me in the USA!

curtie01

Registered
Hi all! I lived in Buenos Aires for four years and recently moved back to the USA. Obviously I have some really close friends back in Buenos Aires, and now I am planning my wedding here in the USA, I would love for my best friend to be able to come visit me here and come to my wedding!

I have no experience with visas for Argentines - I know it's hard to get them. Is there anything I can do to help her? Any way I can contact the embassy and vouch for her? I'm sending her a formal invitation that she can bring to her interview at the embassy. Does it help if I include a signed letter saying that she's a close friend and I really want her to attend my wedding, and I can vouch for her in some way?

I think it's going to be a challenge because she is an artist, 30 years old, works freelance and doesn't have a salaried position in Argentina, doesn't have a husband or children etc. I know that stuff is relevant when it comes to visas, as she statistically appears to have few ties to Argentina. Of course she's not planning to come to my wedding and stay here forever! Is there any way I, as a personal friend and US citizen who's inviting her to visit, can vouch for her or help her cause?

Let me know if anybody has advice / insight about this!
thanks!
Eliza

yes, a personal invitation letter with a wedding card would help.

but if she shows no ties to Argentina, it could be a problem.

I agree, I doubt she will be able to get a visa. The issue is that if she can show no ties income, assets, in Argentina then they will believe(based on long experience) that she probably doesn't intent to return at the end of her visit. A mitigating factor may be if she has been to the U.S. before? If she has and returned without overstaying her visa then she would have a leg up(i.e. a good track record on an earlier visit).

I know of a guy 27 y/o, university student, working as an employee (not huge wage), with any asset under his name. He went to the interview at the Embassy and, all of the sudden, when he told the Embassy's Officer that he needed to pass seven exams to become an Electronic Engineer here, in Argentina, he got a 10 years tourist visa.

I disagree with gauchobob. I paid a paralegal specilized in US visas. He trained me for the interview. The 2 persons just before me made all the mistakes this paralegal told me about. They were rejected, I was approved in 30 seconds no papers shown. They gave me multiple entrance 10 years visa. And I received twice 6 months I-94.

He also explained me how should I deal with the immigration officers at the airport. After being 6 months in the US I went to Europe for 31 days. When I came back to the US, the immigration agent asked me about how long I was planning to be this time, I said, that´s up to you. He was suprised because of my honesty. I explained my situation and he gave me another 6 months. They hate when they feel you try to cheat them.

I din´t lie but it is important to say the true in the way they want to hear it: show ties, be confident, don´t talk too much.´s The less you talk, better for you.
Regards

My advice is DO NOT make any false statements about ANYTHING on the Visa application. Play everything by the numbers. It all can be very intimidating, but in the end, think you will be successful. Do not try and BS these people.

Girlfriend got a Visa and from what we had heard, it was going to be impossible. Interviewers can see through the BS.

The cases with Roxana and Bajo-cero are different. Both the people in this case one an engineer and the other an attorney. Both professionals with employment prospects in Argentina, better chance from the U.S. standpoint of returning. The girl we are talking about doesn't have any steady employment and nothing was mentioned about education level. With the facts given I doubt she will get a visa, but go ahead and try.

Hi, thanks for the comments - my friend does have a bachelors degree, she has previously visited the USA as a tourist and returned to Argentina, so perhaps that track record will help her.
It sounds like the best thing I can do for her is to send her an invitation and write a letter (addressed to her? or addressed directly to the embassy?) stating that she's a close personal friend and I hope she can come to my wedding! I'd absolutely welcome any other thoughts or suggestions about anything I could possibly do to help her case. (We are definitely planning to be honest and up-front, as there's nothing to hide! definitely not planning to lie about anything!)

Back