Visa Run = Fake Tourist = Permatourist Deported At Ezeiza

Why is she exempt from the fee?

Does her Argentine passport show her place of birth as Argentina?

Does she also have an Argentine passport or just a DNI?

They've never explained it convincingly, but they don't charge her. She no longer has a valid Argentine passport, but does have a new DNI. The passport does show Argentina as her birthplace.

I've spent about 90% of the past 3.5 years in Argentina, mostly by overstaying. In December when I was leaving the country, the immigration official got really upset about me having overstayed 3 times, and told me that there is a strict limit of 3 times and that if I overstay a fourth time I will not be allowed reentry. Then he disappeared for a few minutes, returned and took me into a back room where another guy repeated the exact same thing to me. After they had drilled that into my head repeatedly, I got my exit stamp and was on my way.

Since then I have returned, left, and returned again without any problems.

Well then, a dark skinned racist I must be ;-) Hola Nikad, con todo respeto yo entiendo a donde vas con tu comentario pero por favor no me pintes con esa 'tinta' del racismo. Una cosa es ser racista , otra es quejarse de la migración descontrolada.

I am not for uncontrolled immigration either. I believe at the very list all immigrants should be checked for any criminal records in their countries of origin. I believe that ignoring that is a big mistake. Did not mean to come out as offensive but you previous comment could be interpreted in different ways. I believe true, honest immigrants enrich our culture and workforce. And the very first sign anybody can give when moving to a foreign country is respecting the host country´s law.

To keep your access clean you must comply to the law and immigration law. A tourist cannot spend more than 180 days a year in the country that is clear. I understand that enforcing this is not nice for some, but I believe you do not go breaking the law and playing games in your home countries if you are coming from the so called first world - USA, EU, Australia, Canada, etc. I have read for years complaints about the third world thing, and this and that and how laws are not enforced, etc and now all of a sudden its wrong to do it? To top it off, I have read in this post comments about how they bug good people spending money here and not going after other immigrants, etc when in fact Argentina has treaties with Mercosur countries, just like EU has treaties and the USA. In the eyes of immigration officers, a person from EU, USA, Africa, Irak, Honduras, Russia, get the same treatment.

Ok, now that you hate me for the way I think, I add that I believe if in any of the bordering countries is easier for you to get perm residency, like somebody mentioned Paraguay, you should go for it. Being a perm resident in any Mercosur country will be the key to staying in Arg as long as you want. That if you are unable to get any kind of visa here or if you are not willing to try to get Arg citizenship.

I suspect that if this sudden enforcement is true, it might be linked to the whole dollar bill issue, as I had read a while ago that the new controls for people buying air tickets and touristic packages in Argentina were implemented because many tourists were abusing it, hence they were giving away too many dollars at the official rate to tourists taking advantage of the blue rate, etc.

Another possibility is that they are planning to give some kind of amnesty, like NK did with the Patria Grande plan to all perma tourists.

Anyway, staying in a foreign country taking advantage of a loophole, could be fun, easier, etc, but you have to know your risks, and I guess this is one of them. I truly hope that whomever is affected can get it sorted out the best way possible.

Nikad Mercosur residents and citizens also receive 90 day tourist visas and pay $100 for overstay...!!

I am not for uncontrolled immigration either. I believe at the very list all immigrants should be checked for any criminal records in their countries of origin. I believe that ignoring that is a big mistake. Did not mean to come out as offensive but you previous comment could be interpreted in different ways. I believe true, honest immigrants enrich our culture and workforce. And the very first sign anybody can give when moving to a foreign country is respecting the host country´s law.
I'm with you all the way. Spot on. Thanks for clarifying it, I have excellent personal friends from Peru & other south american countries that I would consider a treasure to this country. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you are saying. I just hope that when this current government finally falls, that we can start to somehow rebuild some sort of respect internationally, as a country with it's rules & it's institutions.

They've never explained it convincingly, but they don't charge her. She no longer has a valid Argentine passport, but does have a new DNI. The passport does show Argentina as her birthplace.

Hmm.. The explanation is quite simple. If she has a DNI and/or AR citizenship she is exempt from the reciprocity fee. It don't matter if what passport one has or where one was born, so long you show a valid DNI, the fee does not apply.

Pablosailor: i' m not a priest so, i don' preach.
You can do whatever you want, it is a free country

But it is important to point that there is not a loophole anymore since decre 616/2010.

Here you are confused. While 2000 stamps in your passport show a law cheating behaviour, to overstay and paying the fine shows that you have roots and that gives you rights, among others, to re- entry. When you pay the fine you heal your record and what they can do is just to give you the 30 days ultimatum to apply for a residency.

But if you have a residency (dni) you entry no questions ask.

Regards

Hmm.. The explanation is quite simple. If she has a DNI and/or AR citizenship she is exempt from the reciprocity fee. It don't matter if what passport one has or where one was born, so long you show a valid DNI, the fee does not apply.

They told her that, because she was naturalized after 1981, she does not need to pay the fee. They didn't care about her DNI.

Back