Visa Run = Fake Tourist = Permatourist Deported At Ezeiza

TomatAlki, Perhaps Bajo Cero will answer about the amount of money since he will know for sure. I don´t know if there is a definite amount but I think my own attorney states $1800 a month. It has been raised since I did it. Yes the money can be deposited in the U.S. but unless it has changed, you must have an active bank account in Argentina and your bank will have to give you a letter to that effect. Every year, in fact, when you renew. So (again, unless it has changed) you can have your money deposited elsewhere as long as you bring at least some of it regularly into an Argentina bank (meaning you get a horrible exchange rate) I never could get a dollar account. I did have another expat tell me you could have a dollar account here but I don´t know where. The bank here will change it to pesos, upon arrival, at the "official" rate.

In fact, last I knew it was not possible to have direct deposit of SS to any Argentina bank anyway. They have to have an agreement with a bank in Argentina, and they do not.

Yes you just need a letter from Social Security affirming your SS. You´ll need to have it translated, along with all your other documents, by a certified translator, unless you get it done here in Argentina, in which case they will write it in Spanish. I can´t tell if you´re in the U.S. or here but in Argentina you can just go to the embassy and get the letter with no problem. Just check the hours before you go. SS is only open certain days and certain hours.

Pablosailor, he/she is just somebody with too many stamps in his/her passport.

I have a different understanding pn what might be going on:
I always assert that it makes no sense to do the visa run because you give the immigration agents too much power.
They are corrupt and racist. That's why they were not disturbing expats for years.
They have freedon on when and how to enforce the law.
I know that they ask bribes that starts at 1000 usd to chinese citizens with visas to stamp the i-94.
The risk i see is that many expats are going abroad just for getting usd from the atm. So, this changes the whole picture for the immigration agents.
Regards

I clarify: if you have a dni (and almost all of you qualify for one), they cannot disturb you.

Baja Cero, the problem I have with this thread you started is that it seems that you are including many different types of “tourists” and giving the same advice to them all. I can understand if you are talking to the “fake tourists,” who are staying in Argentina permanently, maybe even working. Going across the border every 90 days seems like these people are playing games with the Argentine immigration policies. If I were in this type of situation I would take your advice, because it sounds like what you are telling them is for their own benefit.

But some of us are real tourists, at least we think we are. Real tourists spend time in countries complying with each country’s rules for spending time there. In Ecuador, for example, a tourist is allowed to stay up to 90 days per year. If I enter Ecuador and then exit the country after thirty days and then reenter Ecuador, the immigration agent will tell me, “you have 60 days left before you have to leave.” That is no problem and tourists can live with these kinds of rules.

But for “real tourists,” Argentina is not so clear with what their laws are. Lonely Planet, for example, tells tourists that they can get a fresh stamp for another 90 days. The last thing I want to do is start going through the hassle of applying for some type of Argentine residency. So until such time as Argentina makes their laws more clear, or I start hearing that tourists are being refused entry(maybe the case you presented is just a fluke), I am going to continue going out of the country every 90 days, and then reentering Argentina if I am permitted to do so and if I wish spend more time here.

And I am definitely not going to take your advice to overstay the 90 day passport stamp, and then just pay a fine when I leave the country. Although that advice might work in Argentina, tourists have to enter other countries, as well.

Nounou, for example, makes a good point in post #10 when he says, "I don't know what the system is in Argentina, but here if you overstay your visa, even though a tourist visa is seldom evidenced in your passport, you can be 'flagged'. This is bad news, as it could have a detrimetal effect should you try and enter another country, even if your purpose is tourism."

I think Nounou is right and sounds like a smart traveller.

In post #63 you made the point that “I always assert that it makes no sense to do the visa run because you give the immigration agents too much power. They are corrupt and racist. That's why they were not disturbing expats for years. They have freedon on when and how to enforce the law.”

Baja Cero, I respect what you are trying to say but that is exactly why some of us might question your advice to overstay(and pay a fine when we leave). Doing that would be “giving authorities too much power over us” because they do “have the freedom on when and how to enforce the law.” We are not only trying to keep our noses clean in Argentina, but in all other countries, as well. I think you mean well but by recommending that they just overstay their visas, I think you are giving tourists shortsighted and just bad advice, because it might present problems for them in the future.

Baja Cero, the problem I have with this thread you started is that it seems that you are including many different types of “tourists” and giving the same advice to them all. I can understand if you are talking to the “fake tourists,” who are staying in Argentina permanently, maybe even working. Going across the border every 90 days seems like these people are playing games with the Argentine immigration policies. If I were in this type of situation I would take your advice, because it sounds like what you are telling them is for their own benefit.

But some of us are real tourists, at least we think we are. Real tourists spend time in countries complying with each country’s rules for spending time there. In Ecuador, for example, a tourist is allowed to stay up to 90 days per year. If I enter Ecuador and then exit the country after thirty days and then reenter Ecuador, the immigration agent will tell me, “you have 60 days left before you have to leave.” That is no problem and tourists can live with these kinds of rules.

But for “real tourists,” Argentina is not so clear with what their laws are. Lonely Planet, for example, tells tourists that they can get a fresh stamp for another 90 days. The last thing I want to do is start going through the hassle of applying for some type of Argentine residency. So until such time as Argentina makes their laws more clear, or I start hearing that tourists are being refused entry(maybe the case you presented is just a fluke), I am going to continue going out of the country every 90 days, and then reentering Argentina if I am permitted to do so and if I wish spend more time here.

And I am definitely not going to take your advice to overstay the 90 day passport stamp, and then just pay a fine when I leave the country. Although that advice might work in Argentina, tourists have to enter other countries, as well.

Nounou, for example, makes a good point in post #10 when he says, "I don't know what the system is in Argentina, but here if you overstay your visa, even though a tourist visa is seldom evidenced in your passport, you can be 'flagged'. This is bad news, as it could have a detrimetal effect should you try and enter another country, even if your purpose is tourism."

I think Nounou is right and sounds like a smart traveller.

In post #63 you made the point that “I always assert that it makes no sense to do the visa run because you give the immigration agents too much power. They are corrupt and racist. That's why they were not disturbing expats for years. They have freedon on when and how to enforce the law.”

Baja Cero, I respect what you are trying to say but that is exactly why some of us might question your advice to overstay(and pay a fine when we leave). Doing that would be “giving authorities too much power over us” because they do “have the freedom on when and how to enforce the law.” We are not only trying to keep our noses clean in Argentina, but in all other countries, as well. I think you mean well but by recommending that they just overstay their visas, I think you are giving tourists shortsighted and just bad advice, because it might present problems for them in the future.

To keep your access clean you must comply to the law and immigration law. A tourist cannot spend more than 180 days a year in the country that is clear. I understand that enforcing this is not nice for some, but I believe you do not go breaking the law and playing games in your home countries if you are coming from the so called first world - USA, EU, Australia, Canada, etc. I have read for years complaints about the third world thing, and this and that and how laws are not enforced, etc and now all of a sudden its wrong to do it? To top it off, I have read in this post comments about how they bug good people spending money here and not going after other immigrants, etc when in fact Argentina has treaties with Mercosur countries, just like EU has treaties and the USA. In the eyes of immigration officers, a person from EU, USA, Africa, Irak, Honduras, Russia, get the same treatment.

Ok, now that you hate me for the way I think, I add that I believe if in any of the bordering countries is easier for you to get perm residency, like somebody mentioned Paraguay, you should go for it. Being a perm resident in any Mercosur country will be the key to staying in Arg as long as you want. That if you are unable to get any kind of visa here or if you are not willing to try to get Arg citizenship.

I suspect that if this sudden enforcement is true, it might be linked to the whole dollar bill issue, as I had read a while ago that the new controls for people buying air tickets and touristic packages in Argentina were implemented because many tourists were abusing it, hence they were giving away too many dollars at the official rate to tourists taking advantage of the blue rate, etc.

Another possibility is that they are planning to give some kind of amnesty, like NK did with the Patria Grande plan to all perma tourists.

Anyway, staying in a foreign country taking advantage of a loophole, could be fun, easier, etc, but you have to know your risks, and I guess this is one of them. I truly hope that whomever is affected can get it sorted out the best way possible.

Why do I most likely qualify for a DNI and how can I get one?
Can anyone tell me about the DNI? I've done some searches for information, so far I can see that it requires much less documentation to get one vs a retirement visa.
It seems to say that they last for 15 years, is that true?
What are my obligations during this time?
What are the negative aspects of a DNI?

Thanks

We should run a poll like:

What's your status in Argentina:
1- So-called "Permatourist"
2- Legal resident (permanent or temporary visa, tourist visa excluded)
3- Soon to be a legal resident (actually filing for a resident visa)
4- Citizen (either by birth or by naturalization)
5- Soon to be citizen (actually filing for Arg. citizenship).
6- Real tourist (staying here for 3-6 months)

Did I forget something?

Back