Want to expat! Hungry for knowledge

Guillo said:
As an Argentinian, I must say that whoever considers Argentina as something different than 3rd world country has some serious credibility issues :)

REALLY?? This is a forum of people that chose to move there. Why did you all go there in the first place? One individual told me he was just like me... he didn't accept everything he was told and didn't like the fascists so he moved all over South America. He eventually became disillusioned.

Is that what all of you are?? Just immigrants in a land you regret being in?:confused:

steveinbsas said:
This is a good reason to have at least a year's supply of "staples" (rice, beans, pasta, flour, sugar, canned fruits and vegetables, oil, tp, soap, etc.) on hand.

Steve, I can tell you are a true survivor, you're right where I'm trying to get to.

Guillo said:
As an Argentinian, I must say that whoever considers Argentina as something different than 3rd world country has some serious credibility issues :)

I was just going to say that Argentina is 3rd world. No pollution? What? Many factories here contribute to pollution. These are factories mind you that don´t have all the environmental controls that many do in the U.S. Diesel busses and cars that should have been taken off the road a long time ago also contribute to poor air quality in the city. Coming back from a soccer game the other day I noticed a brown haze over Buenos Aires almost like the one I used to see in Los Angeles. There is also a lot of garbage here and nothing is really recycled. The garbage pollutes everything from standing water to city sidewalks. It is thrown out in medium to small sized bags. An office probably goes through several of these bags a day. They become huge piles on the sidewalk and some break and burst. It is not a pretty sight.

To answer why many people decided to come here, I think a lot has to do with family or significant others. Also, many probably came when things were really inexpensive (not the case now). I personally married someone from here. I didn´t ever expect to live here. However in life my family is the most important thing to me and not where we live.

jayjane said:
I was just going to say that Argentina is 3rd world. No pollution? What? Many factories here contribute to pollution. These are factories mind you that don´t have all the environmental controls that many do in the U.S. Diesel busses and cars that should have been taken off the road a long time ago also contribute to poor air quality in the city. Coming back from a soccer game the other day I noticed a brown haze over Buenos Aires almost like the one I used to see in Los Angeles. There is also a lot of garbage here and nothing is really recycled. The garbage pollutes everything from standing water to city sidewalks. It is thrown out in medium to small sized bags. An office needs probably goes through several of these bags a day. They become huge piles on the sidewalk and some break and burst. It is not a pretty sight.

To answer why many people decided to come here. I personally married someone from here. I didn´t ever expect to live here. However in life my family is the most important thing to me and not where we live.

Yea but that's just the big city, any city is like that, its just like NYC. If I go anywhere it will be the northern providence of Cordoba. Thats where I understand the land is fertile, the natural springs from the mountains are jam-packed with minerals, the population is sparse and there is a high frequency of other English speaking expats.

Goshinki said:
Yea but that's just the big city, any city is like that, its just like NYC. If I go anywhere it will be the northern providence of Cordoba. Thats where I understand the land is fertile, the natural springs from the mountains are jam-packed with minerals, the population is sparse and there is a high frequency of other English speaking expats.

I haven´t been to Cordoba but, I do know someone from that region. There is a fair amount of pollution there now. I have heard there is poor air quality in the city there. Also, there has been some studies of sewage seeping into the waterways in the area. With few controls I imagine things like this happen everywhere. Don´t forget about the mega-mining and the effects of this in the region. Contamination of the water table etc. However, there are less people there than in Buenos Aires and probably the pollution that is there isn´t as apparent at this point.

I don´t think you should come down here expecting anything different than what you would find in any 3rd world country though.

Goshinki said:
Is that what all of you are?? Just immigrants in a land you regret being in?:confused:
You'll find a lot of that in this forum. That doesn't mean its always like that, but its not unusual.
Myself, I was born here :).

Reading the stuff you are posting... seems like you are basing everything on stuff you read online. You need to come down here for a while and see for yourself. Fertile lands are no good if you don't have enough cash to buy a piece of said land and work it. Same with minerals everything you keep posting about.

Guillo said:
You'll find a lot of that in this forum. That doesn't mean its always like that, but its not unusual.
Myself, I was born here :).

Reading the stuff you are posting... seems like you are basing everything on stuff you read online. You need to come down here for a while and see for yourself. Fertile lands are no good if you don't have enough cash to buy a piece of said land and work it. Same with minerals everything you keep posting about.

Yea, I suppose you're right. I'd like to come down and "check it out" but I don't think I have that luxury. I have to go somewhere, there's no doubt about that, and I don't think there's much time left. I need to take my funds and dedicate myself to a move, I can't spend what little I have on just trips.

I do suppose I can go down there intending to stay but leaving myself an "out" but that would be costly too.

I don't know what I'm gonna do now. Argentina looked so great and now come to find out all of you hate it.

The fact that most things are traded in the dollar is a good thing. As RAD said, all money is paper. The difference is that the majority of the world has faith in the dollar. A stable economy that will remain strong. That might change, let's hope it doesn't. But the fact of the matter is many people have faith in the economy and that is a good thing. It is faith that keeps the economy going. You will not see anyone deciding to trade in ARS pesos. Read one of the current state department synopsis on Argentina. It pissed many Argentinians off because an outsider was critical (the same statements are said everyday by taxi drivers in Baires without a flinch), but much of the analysis is true (please read state department notices with a small grain of salt because they usually overstate the problems to protect their citizens) Outside companies are hesitant to put investment in Argentina because the corruption is terrible. If some deal goes wrong you will not find justice in the courts. Argentina has an almost exact copy of the US constitution. It is great on paper, but it is never enforced in Argentina. That comes from the recent history of military occupation and the reality that what you invest in can be thrown out the window in a minute. Laws are changed for every situation, there is no justice. What syngirl says is spot on about unions. If you believed in and fought for unions in the past, your perspective will change completely after seeing what occurs in Argentina. They have a VERY strong, long history with unions. Every government has to bend to them. They are destroying every aspect of Argentina from health to the park system. Again go, you must see for yourself. Perhaps you will arrive at Steve's position, but also keep in mind that you might need to let go of some strong morals that you nurtured in the US and become a little more "lord of the flies" in your approach. For me, it saddened me. It was not the better world I had in my heart, and I lived in fear. It is not a way to live especially when you have a family. I will return to Argentina in the future because I am married to an argentinan and family is there, but not before some major changes occur. Every Argentinian will tell you that there has always been corruption, but it is currently at its worst. The best of luck to you. Living in any country for awhile will do nothing but help you, so do it.

I actually don´t hate living here. I really do enjoy it. I find the mess of the city fun (except on days that I am rushed and exhausted.) I love the Spanish language. I have family here.

There are a lot of benefits to living in the ¨3rd world¨ if you are doing okay. For example, I never had a maid in the U.S. and here we can afford a good one if we want (we are by no means rich here either). There are a lot of available services from delivery of just about everything to doctors that make house calls. However, these things are getting more and more expensive.

I like feeling less materialistic. It is weight off my shoulder to worry less about consumption. I have much less stuff than I did and if I go to buy something and it isn´t on the shelves, I don´t mind. I just adjust my plan. A lot of living here is being able to adjust to the conditions.

jayjane said:
A lot of living here is being able to adjust to the conditions.

That's what I was thinking, that basically perhaps people here were just having a tough time adjusting, or suffering from culture shock. I'm glad someone has something positive to say. :)

I really have heard that the cost of living is really just so low, even if the wages are lower, the cost of food and other basics is a fraction of what you'd find in the U.S. Is it true?

I wanted to mention on more thing. Argentina is rich in culture. If you like these kinds of things you will enjoy Argentina wholeheartedly. The quantity of different music, arte, etc. is amazing. I would recommend delving into this aspect of Argentina, truly impressive. And not to mention futbol!

Back