Went to buy Dollars today.........

TheBlackHand said:
The problem with casas de cambio is they will only sell you Dollars at the parallel market rate, which is currently 4.45:$ 1. The official rate at the bank is much better at around 4.20:$ 1.

What? What casas de cambio are you going to. I have never had to buy at the black market rate. I used to always buy at Paris Cambio before I had my DNI and CUIL but now I buy at Cambio America. Paris Cambio usually has some of the best rates in the city, usually a cent or so from the average rate...

TheBlackHand said:
The problem with casas de cambio is they will only sell you Dollars at the parallel market rate, which is currently 4.45:$ 1. The official rate at the bank is much better at around 4.20:$ 1.

:confused: Since one of the primary goals of this forum is to provide helpful information to newcomers, it should be mentionned that Casas de Cambio in BA have the same rate as banks. Sorry for criticizing, but this post is a bit weird (and can make life harder for people who don't know BA).

For newcomers : in any doubt about exchanging foreign currencies, go to "THE" specialized street : "Calle Sarmiento" in the city center (around numbers 300/500), it's nearby the famous monument called "Obelisco". You'll find about 100 "casas de cambio" there (and the best rates). It's also very safe because if you have 1.000 USD in your pocket, quite many people around you carry a bit more ;-p

But I guess you'll realize you made a mistake (too busy importing a brand new car from abroad:p?).

What's the current buy rate at Paris Cambio for Dollars ? I've only had to buy Dollars on two occasions and both times the exchange houses charged me quite a bit more than the " official " rate.

GuilleGee said:
What? What casas de cambio are you going to. I have never had to buy at the black market rate. I used to always buy at Paris Cambio before I had my DNI and CUIL but now I buy at Cambio America. Paris Cambio usually has some of the best rates in the city, usually a cent or so from the average rate...

What @GuilleGee is referring to are not "Casas de Cambio" (legal, like Casa Piano), but "Cuevas" (caves), places where Argentineans change their unlaundered money, for which they didn't pay taxes. In those places, the rate to buy is higher, of course.

Guys, it's pretty simple to buy/sell foreign currency at 'casas de cambio'; All you need to do is present your passport+visa_stamp_non_expired OR DNI;

You can follow the rates 'in live' at dolarhoy.com and basically 90% of the places are around Sarmiento y San Martin; Usually the cheapest rate it's equal to the official, but obviously some places will sell/buy over/undercharged prices; Just check that website before leaving home.

By the way I'm Zulu (brazilian) living at BA since last December. This is my first post, so...

Cheers!

marksoc said:
What @GuilleGee is referring to are not "Casas de Cambio" (legal, like Casa Piano), but "Cuevas" (caves), places where Argentineans change their unlaundered money, for which they didn't pay taxes. In those places, the rate to buy is higher, of course.

....also risky and illegal, of course.

marksoc said:

No, I am referring to Casas de Cambio, all the places I deal with are 100% legal. Cambio Paris current Buyer rate is 4.25, same as Banco Piano. Banco Nacion is selling at 4.24, so not much of a difference there.

Some cambio places will you give a bad rate, as BlackHand mentioned. Tonight, for example, they had a little cambio stand in the Abasto Shopping center. They were buying dollars for $4.15. There is also a place near Santa Fe and Larrea that charges a pretty awful rate. Doesn't the Banco Piano stand in Ezeiza give a pretty bad rate too, a few cents off from the one posted on their website? I think they charge these bad rates because of convenience. The alternative is to go to Microcentro, and not everyone wants to do that, I suppose.

Go to a legitimate Casa de Cambio. That's their business. I recommend Maxinta. Web site www.maxinta.com located at Sarmiento 378 piso 7. 5278 4400 or cell 15 6052 2766. Ask for Javier Brennan.

He speaks English and can answer all your questions about daily rates and even wire transfers if that's the route you elect. I know him personally.

Back