Western Union money transfer

The thing I found with the code was odd.

I did a lot of transactions with debit card, but the card expired and the new one didn't arrive. (I finally got a replacement much later, after a 5-week transit time from USA to AR, but that's a different story.)

Anyhow, when I changed from using debit card to pulling directly from checking account, and tried to use the code, the transaction was stuck in limbo forever. I deleted it and tried again, with same result. Finally, I deleted the second attempt, and made a third without the code, and that went right through, albeit with a 4-day delay. I mean, the transaction was approved, but it said I couldn't pick up the money for four days, as opposed to the first two which just said pending approval or something like that.

Then, after having paid the fee once, all subsequent transactions directly from checking account not only accepted the code, but were available for immediate pickup, without the wait.

It was like they insisted I had to pay the fee once from a new source of funds, before I could use the promo code.

As always, YMMV, your mileage may vary. WU is not always consistent. We have established earlier in this thread that some of us are charged higher fees than others, (absent the code), even when all factors seem to be the same
I had a similar experience with my new debit card.

Yes Santander Rio has always been an issue for me. For me it seems to start rejecting transfers after the 3rd one.
My fourth transfer in the month of Januarry (initiated last Friday about an hour before the rate dropped) was credited to my Santander Rio account by 4 pm today. The four transfers totaled $600 USD, just under $145.000 pesos.

It obviously wasn't enough to cause any issues with Santander Rio, at least in my case.

If it had, I would have been PO'd at myself for making the fourh transfer on the the 28th, just to get an extra five bucks, when I could just as easily have made the transfer today, and still have been able to pay the balance due on my credit card tomorrow, the final date of the billing cycle.

My fourth transfer in the month of Januarry (initiated last Friday about an hour before the rate dropped) was credited to my Santander Rio account by 4 pm today. The four transfers totaled $600 USD, just under $145.000 pesos.

It obviously wasn't enough to cause any issues with Santander Rio, at least in my case.

If it had, I would have been PO'd at myself for making the fourh transfer on the the 28th, just to get an extra five bucks, when I could just as easily have made the transfer today, and still have been able to pay the balance due on my credit card tomorrow, the final date of the billing cycle.

Steve you mentioned the transfers were under $145,00 pesos. The limit is $150,000 pesos per month?

Steve you mentioned the transfers were under $145,00 pesos. The limit is $150,000 pesos per month?
When I wrote the total of my transfers was just under $145.000 pesos, I was just rounding up the total of my four transfers in January to the nearest thousand.

I'm sure Western Union's monthly limit is at least several (if not many) times more than that.

I don't know what, if any, "limit" on the monthly amount Santander Rio has before they start blocking transfers and ask the receiver for additonal information regarding the source of the funds.

I obviously did not cross that threshold with four transfers in one month that totaled just under $145.000.

Since opening the account in Bahia Blanca in 2012, Santander Rio has not asked any questions about the funds in my account.

I have transferred more than 300.000 ARS per month regularly and never had an issue. My understanding is that banks are required by the AFIP to report all accounts with transactions totaling 90.000 or more/month. De facto this means most accounts are reported since 90.000 is a very low threshold.

Hi everybody, brand new here and this is my first post, I'm from Buenos Aires working currently for a UK based company and until last month I used to pick up my money instead of using the bank account option. Since now there's the chance to send the money to a Brubank account I decided to send money two times already, thing is they're now asking me to fill some form, was hesitant about it because of the AFIP thing and the likes of it. Did any of you have any issue at all with AFIP after filling up that form? Do you think would be better to keep up picking up the money than using the bank account option just to stay "off radar". Sorry if this was answered before, and cheers to all of you expats enjoying my beautiful country.

Back