Western Union money transfer

Update: I went to the Western Union on Guemes 4471 just now and they gave me about half of my money in 10,000 peso notes. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing if shops are not yet accustomed to them.

Update: I went to the Western Union on Guemes 4471 just now and they gave me about half of my money in 10,000 peso notes. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing if shops are not yet accustomed to them.
But it is legal tender. Why don't they accept it?

The main thing about money is confidence. You can show a trader a bright, shiny, strange new piece of paper. You can tell them it's the new AR$10,000 note but without their regular experience of AR$10,000 notes, how do they know the one you are offering is genuine and not a fake? Better, from their point of view, to refuse these strange, unfamiliar pieces of paper until they can be confident that the money they accept is real.

The main thing about money is confidence. You can show a trader a bright, shiny, strange new piece of paper. You can tell them it's the new AR$10,000 note but without their regular experience of AR$10,000 notes, how do they know the one you are offering is genuine and not a fake? Better, from their point of view, to refuse these strange, unfamiliar pieces of paper until they can be confident that the money they accept is real.

Oh... I understand now.

I got confused because when I went to some exchange stores in Brazil, they did not accept USD 100 bills with old versions, notes that are stained, have marks, or just look too dirty. I thought people like new notes.

Oh... I understand now.

I got confused because when I went to some exchange stores in Brazil, they did not accept USD 100 bills with old versions, notes that are stained, have marks, or just look too dirty. I thought people like new notes.
The money changers in Brazil have each seen hundreds of thousands of new Benjamins and they know the look, the feel, the touch and even the smell of the good ones: most people in Argentina have never even seen a AR$10,000 note so how could they tell what's real?

at least in the united states dollar is legal tender only in regards to paying existing debts. If there is no debt yet (i.e. no service was delivered and no bill charged) they are free to refuse service.

Argentina might be different due to "public oferta" (oferta publica) laws.

at least in the united states dollar is legal tender only in regards to paying existing debts. If there is no debt yet (i.e. no service was delivered and no bill charged) they are free to refuse service.
That's not exactly true.

Back