Western Union money transfer

I will be sending money to myself by WU, Just a bit puzzled why some folks have mentioned the fees of $10 for the first $100 transfer and than $5 fee for every $100. I read on another new post today for $900 the fee is $60 but I don't see that on my WU app.

£1000 GBP transfer fees are only 5.90 GBP that sounds pretty reasonable to me compared to all the hassle involved with exchanging money at Calle Florida.

They are referring to fees to transfer USD from the USA to be picked up in Pesos in Argentina, so those rates won't apply to your transfers or appear on your app.

They are referring to fees to transfer USD from the USA to be picked up in Pesos in Argentina, so those rates won't apply to your transfers or appear on your app.

Steve This issue perhaps was already answered . What is the current exchange rate you get for a WU bank to bank transfer , you get dollars in a dollar account ? or pesos.. Thanks

Steve This issue perhaps was already answered . What is the current exchange rate you get for a WU bank to bank transfer , you get dollars in a dollar account ? or pesos.. Thanks
Hey, Rich, The funds I have transferred using WU have always been deposited in pesos and I have never seen an option to receive dollars.

I have a dollar account, but even if there was an option to receive dollars, I would not use it. That's because I would only receive the official rate if I converted those dollars to pesos (on line).

I am not sure if I could actually withdraw those dollars at the bank, but that would serve no purpose as there aren't any cuevas offering to exchange dollars at the WU or the blu rate around here.

I am happy enough to get the pesos into my account at the WU rate without having to leave my house.

AND, for those sweating over whether they have anything to "worry" about, my Santander Rio bank statement CLEARLY shows the source of the funds for each deposit is Western Union.

Athough I could not read the entire memo (using my phone), "Western Union" is followed by the word "apoyo" (support). I am guessing it might be followed with the word "familiar," so the banks know "where" the funds came from and their "declared" purpose, which, as far as I know, is not likely to raise any red flags.

Last edited:
WU works like this. You pay WU International/US in USD, EUR, etc. and WU Argentina pays you out pesos in Argentina. These are two separate entities. Your dollars, euros never actually enter Argentina.
WU Argentina, or Pago Facil, at the same time can use those dollars to pay out -- via WU Int'l -- someone sending money to a family member in Colombia, Peru etc. There really is no transfer per se.

I usually get my bank to bank transfers the next day. Wu completes them the same day but I guess bbva takes a day to show the deposit. Haven't experienced an 8 day delay since this thread first started.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you had any insights in to limits, not in terms of WU imposed limits, that's clear and appears to be 50K USD,
but rather how much can I send before AFIP gets too curious per month?

To adhere to the letter of the law, I've been sending money to my husband the past year and change, not myself, but this has
mostly been under 1.5K USD/month. About a year ago he had to fill out the survey thing from PagoFacil/WU for the BCRA,
and they accepted it without issue.

That being said, I need to send more than usual, and wanted to know what seems to be the limit in not causing issues for AFIP
(nothing crazy, less than 4K).

Thanks!

To adhere to the letter of the law, I've been sending money to my husband the past year and change, not myself, but this has
mostly been under 1.5K USD/month.

What "law" (and specificially which letters) are you referring to?

Back