Western Union money transfer

I don't send dollars until there's things we need to buy/spend money and transfers to bank have been taking up to 3 business days lately

I also hate the lines at the ATMs. Last night I went to get 5K (less than $17 these days) and a giant "the amount you have requested isn't available from this machine at this time" error popped up. Signs of a healthy economy, ATMs don't even have $20 in them anymore. 🙃
That's a pain. Western Union isn't very transparent about their delivery schedules.

When I transfer bank to bank, the money usually arrives the next evening (to Banco Nación), but sometimes, for some reason, WU delays it for more than a week. If I use my debit card, the money's always there the next evening. I have had a few problems with WU giving me errors when I tried to use the debit card, but that hasn't happened for a long time.

Imagine that the country's largest bill is $3.40? Banana republic.

Based on Red Possums summary and some wait times the past few weeks, I have a few questions...
1. If I do a cash pickup using debit card as a 1st time user from Western Union at the beginning of the month, is there any risk to requesting it same day and the transfer not going through same day?
2. If I have to pickup on a Friday at the beginning of the month, should I expect an hour wait?
3. How long does WU keep/allocate your money if you request cash pickup 5 days before you intend to actually pick it up? I surmise the biggest risk here is depreciation?

Thanks for any help.
As long as I’m not paying a fee, I always order my next cash allocation 1 week ahead. That way if the app is down I can always get cash. If there is a significant change in the exchange rate, I’ll enter a new order the day I need it and cancel the previous once I have my cash. By debit card my transactions have all processed in a matter of minutes. Note: Your first transaction May take longer so even more reason to request a week ahead of time.
For cash pickup, I have found it difficult to get much more than 100 mil (-$500 before the craziness of the past couple weeks) except from the two main locations highlighted on this site. Given I’m living in Colegiales (b/n Palermo and belgrano) it’s not worth the time for me to go downtown to get larger amounts. It’s also worth noting that (5) $100 bills translates to ~(140) 1,000 peso bills so you will literally need a backpack to pick up any more than that.
I lucked out that the closest WU office to our 1st apartment also happened to be fairly reliable having my cash 90% of the time as long as I waited until the afternoon. I never had a line ever. Another bonus of my preferred location. I’ve been to probably 30 other WU locations across the city and I find they rarely have more than 50 mil on hand. Lastly, I will tell you the app is worthless for finding locations. The hours are wildly inaccurate and a bunch of locations have closed. Much better to use Google maps. Enjoy your time in BA!

As long as I’m not paying a fee, I always order my next cash allocation 1 week ahead. That way if the app is down I can always get cash. If there is a significant change in the exchange rate, I’ll enter a new order the day I need it and cancel the previous once I have my cash. By debit card my transactions have all processed in a matter of minutes. Note: Your first transaction May take longer so even more reason to request a week ahead of time.
For cash pickup, I have found it difficult to get much more than 100 mil (-$500 before the craziness of the past couple weeks) except from the two main locations highlighted on this site. Given I’m living in Colegiales (b/n Palermo and belgrano) it’s not worth the time for me to go downtown to get larger amounts. It’s also worth noting that (5) $100 bills translates to ~(140) 1,000 peso bills so you will literally need a backpack to pick up any more than that.
I lucked out that the closest WU office to our 1st apartment also happened to be fairly reliable having my cash 90% of the time as long as I waited until the afternoon. I never had a line ever. Another bonus of my preferred location. I’ve been to probably 30 other WU locations across the city and I find they rarely have more than 50 mil on hand. Lastly, I will tell you the app is worthless for finding locations. The hours are wildly inaccurate and a bunch of locations have closed. Much better to use Google maps. Enjoy your time in BA!
But how do you cancel your order, cause once it's send I don't see any option to cancel it, except from not picking it up and let it expire.

But how do you cancel your order, cause once it's send I don't see any option to cancel it, except from not picking it up and let it expire.
if I remember correctly.....go to WU & sign in.....go to your ''history'' page ..... it will show all transfers ......on transfers that have yet to be completed (money picked up) you have the option to cancel the transaction.

Back