What A Moto Robbery Looks Like

I think it's dangerous to take the stance that one should be grateful when you're robbed by someone who doesn't shoot you. Obviously things could have gone a lot worse for the Canadian, but robbing a tourist at gunpoint in broad daylight with witnesses around doesn't sound very professional to me. He's just your average chorro. Armed robbery (even when nobody gets shot) shouldn't be tolerated.

The Canadian is lucky he didn't get killed.... it's fortunate that the chorro didn't cross the line from armed thief to murderer, but I'd hardly celebrate that. Let's not turn the thief into a saint just because he 'spared' the man his life.

Also, being poor isn't an excuse to be a criminal. I find that to be insulting to those in poverty who somehow manage to keep it together and be decent human beings. Obviously Gaston must have had a difficult upbringing, as is the case with many who fall into a life of crime, and it's normal to feel some pity or compassion for his past, but that doesn't change the current situation or take away any personal responsibility he has in the matter.

What I find most bothersome about this whole thing is that situations like this happen every day... the only difference is that this happened to a tourist who filmed it in high quality.

Right, here people is inocent until a judge sentence him to go to jail. Perverted, indeed.

Perverted, indeed. In other civilized countries, Gaston would be in jail or out on bail, awaiting trial for attempted robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, and, depending on the country, any one or all of two or three other charges.

It doesn't sound like that at all. Presumption of innocence is a basic and fundamental tenant of a just legal system.

That said....

Innocent till proven guilty is all well and good but don't you see the difference between preventative prison for a first time ofender and for this guy, who has previously been convicted and jailed for armed robbery? Who after being released from jail was charged with illegal possession of a firearm? And who was at the time of his arrest carrying a criminal amount of illegal narcotics? Should there not be a balance struck between public interest and individual rights?

A) Police arrested him illegaly just because Macri wanted free propaganda.
B.) it was illegal because there wasn't an arrest order enacted by a judge, police was looking for him with a picture.
C) whatever they find during an illegal arrest, is invalid. Sorry, it is called "the fruit of the poisonus tree theory". Before Ajo makes a comment about how the Queen brainwashed judges I would like to comment that the Supreme Court of the US developed this doctrine.
D) the federal judge said also that the pot was rotten. It means that the police put the drug in his bag.
E) jail before a sentence? Really? Now you propose the Stalin's Soviét Unión, the Italy of Mussolini or the US of Bush Jr...no thank you.
F) individual's rights is a limit to públic interest.

Sure, but if someone is awaiting trial is it legal for them to harrass their victim on national TV?

Not exactly a progressive, enlightened position.

Well, he can confess him crimes on TV all what he wants, this is a free country, but the prosecutor is going to use it against him.

Fariña explained on tv how to wash money and he is in a federal jail. On the 30th is the auction of his BMW X6 that was expropiated by the federal Court.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/158887/duo-indicted-for-moneylaundering-judge-probes-leonardo-fariña-and-federico-elaskar

E) jail before a sentence? Really? Now you propose the Stalin's Soviét Unión, the Italy of Mussolini or the US of Bush Jr...no thank you.
Well you are a criminal lawyer after all so I don't expect you to think about the victims and likelihood of re-offending before sentencing.. How long does this process usually take in the efficient Argentine legal system?
Facepalm.gif

Perverted, indeed. In other civilized countries, Gaston would be in jail or out on bail, awaiting trial for attempted robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, and, depending on the country, any one or all of two or three other charges.

You don t need to go so far, at provincia de Buenos Aires he procedure is different, any crime with a gun means automatic jail. Somehow capital federal is safer...

Although it might surprise some to see an intelligent lawyer attacking pre-trial detention for a violent criminal. It does make sense in the context of political party discipline. A staunch Peronist (perhaps with political ambitions himself) is going to defend any government actions as a loyal party member.

This lawyer might very well decry this, in the most strident terms, if an opposition party were in power.

Back