What are they thinking?

legilber said:
My favorite is when you get your hopes up when people pick up their dog poop.....

And then proceed to throw the bag onto the ground/into the street. Its incredible how many times I've seen this.

HAhahah Have you noticed the " strategy "? THey carry the bag in case somebody is looking while the dog goes, then when nobody looks they just leave the mess on the floor and vanish, lol. These type usually display a beautiful plastic bag ribbon on the doggie leash...but it is just an adornment! Don´t keep your hopes up :)

It reminds me of "Mad Men" when they were in the park having a picnic and Don gets up and throws his beer can away and they just leave the rest of the mess behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roREnVhd_og

Argentina is like America in the 60s! Only 40ish odd years to go before they start picking up their trash! :D

Some years ago while riding in a colectivo, I recall watching a mother teaching her child to throw some trash out of the open window onto the streets. She guided the child's hand to the window and when he let go of the trash, she celebrated with an applause as if the child had taken his first step.

My first trip on an Argentine train to Mar del Plata was an education. A man finished a two litre bottle of coke and threw it out of the window.

Slightly off topic, but reminds me of when I was in the farmacity on Scalabrini near my apartment during the week. Was about 9pm, saw the security guard of the store trundle up to the lollies, look left and then grab a decent handful and put them in his pocket, as he looked to the right and saw me looking straight at him. Then went something like this:
Guard: ¿todo tranqui?
Me: todo bien y vos?
Guard: Ahora mucho mejor
Me: laughing, ¿queres compartirlos?
Guard: smiled and walked back to the front (without giving me any)

I couldnt stop laughing haha, couldnt believe it really! I know its only a few caramelos, but the guy whos meant to be stopping thieves is certainly setting a good example for all...

I live in the Argentine countryside. Most of the farmers are really pretty good when it comes to trash. Now and then near the edge of my town we see plastic bags of paper, plastic trash just thrown out on the ground.

We burn all of our plastic and paper. Whatever glass and and metal cans we have we take into town and leave it with our friends trash(they know).

The questions is, why can't these people who dump their trash on the road just burn it at home? It's so easy to do. But I guess that's too simple. And if the police really want to catch these people, all they'd have to do is look for addresses or names on letters/bills in the trash or 'lift' a finger print or two.
M IV

Mark IV said:
And if the police really want to catch these people, all they'd have to do is look for addresses or names on letters/bills in the trash or 'lift' a finger print or two.
M IV

When they get to grips with muggers and burglers they can start thinking about litter louts !:)

I actually got catcalled the other day for throwing something away in a garbage can. It went kind of like this...

"Hey beautiful..."
Me: (ignore as usual, continue to walk to the trashcan to throw something away)
"Oh wow, and she throws her trash away too!? Wow..."

Moral of the story? Littering is not sexy... at least I think that's the moral.

Back