What Are You Watching On Netflix? Was It Any Good?

It's weird, but even though my Spanish sucks and I find it hard to watch local TV, the Spanish in Narcos was somehow way easier to understand for me.

1)It's Colombian spanish (mostly) -- they speak slower and it is considered the most neutral form of Latin American Spanish
2) Pedro Pascal is Chilean but after growing up in the USA had to relearn Spanish.
3) Walter Moura is Brasilian and had to learn spanish for the series -- so he speaks slow.

Basically it's a bunch of slow non-native speakers semi-mangling Colombian spanish. The govt officials are the ones actually from Colombia I believe. The girl that plays the journalist is from PR or Mexico.

Moura's not bad for only having spoken the language for a few months before filming, but even if you're not a native speaker, if you know what a Brasilian accent sounds like you really do hear it in half his dialogue.

Portenos speak very fast, so if you hone your ear here, most other spanish accents are much easier to deal with.

i just couldn't take ALL the narration. When the Gringo finally shut up the series was interesting, but man, way too much narration.

Really enjoyed the series, it felt realistic, and was able to understand the Spanish parts more easily than I can Lanata!
Now I'm watching "Person of Interest"..another series by the very talented producer of "Lost", J. Abrams . Even has some of the actors from Lost.

Person of Interest is fascinating.

Completely different, set in post WWII England, is Foyle's War, an excellent series produced a few years back.

I watched a really awesome Spanish thriller called "Sleep Tight".

Highly recommended for those who like edge of the seat nail biting thrillers - even better when you are trying to practice your Spanish ( by watching Spanish movies)!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1437358/

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl rated 8.1 on IMDb
The Rage in Placid Lake rated 7.1
Napoleon Dynamite rated 6.9

Just started watching Veep which is hilarious.
Ok, it's not on Netflix like a lot of HBO stuff and it's interesting to see that a lot of actors from In The Loop ( another Armando Iannucci creation) are in it and if you like political satire, it's right up there.
A healthy dose of both US and british humour, very much in the style of The Thick of It and nearly as abrasive.
The West Wing it is not.

I don't watch much TV (we don't have cable...just internet). In case you missed this Argentine film in theaters... Relatos Salvajes (aka Wild Tales) is on Netflix Canada. This is the only market where available. Here's a great site to find what's available to stream. https://flixsearch.io/

Canada often has the best releases available. I use TunnelBear's Chrome plug-in, which functions as a proxy. You can also use their full VPN, but that will slow your data. There are many other options, but TunnelBear is so easy my 3 1/2 year can use it. (She gets less than an hour per day of screen time).

Relatos Salvajes is one of the best movies I have ever seen in my life...especially the bride and groom story.

Popcornflix has been highly recommended to us by porteños who watch a lot of movies. What they like is that there are lots of very recent movies, and that it is free.

On Netflix, we've just watched the Australian tv series called Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, set in the late 1920's. Despite the name, these are lighthearted and fun.

Thanks for recommending Relatos Salvajes!

Back